It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimera monkeys created in lab by combining several embryos into one, & the implications of this kin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I wonder, Is the the beginning stages of being able to pick and choose which traits our children inherit?
They created these monkeys from 6 different eggs

What is chimera?
Chimerism often happen in human invitro fertilization

A chimera or chimaera is a single organism (usually an animal) that is composed of two or more different populations of genetically distinct cells that originated from different zygotes involved in sexual reproduction. If the different cells have emerged from the same zygote, the organism is called a mosaic. Chimeras are formed from at least four parent cells (two fertilized eggs or early embryos fused together). Each population of cells keeps its own character and the resulting organism is a mixture of tissues. Chimeras are typically seen in animals; there are some reports on human chimerism.[1]

Chimeras can often breed, but the fertility and type of offspring depends on which cell line gave rise to the ovaries or testes; varying degrees of intersexuality may result if one set of cells is genetically female and another genetically male.

Put another way, the chimera is formed from the merging of two nonidentical twins (although a similar merging presumably occurs with identical twins, but as their DNA is almost identical, the presence would not be immediately detectable in a very early (zygote or blastocyst) phase. As such, they can be male, female, or hermaphroditic (both male and female reproductive organs).

en.wikipedia.org...(genetics)

Scientists at the Oregon National Primate Research Centre produced the animals, known as chimeras, by sticking together between three and six rhesus monkey embryos in the early stages of their development. Three animals were born at the laboratory, a singleton and twins, and were said to be healthy, with no apparent birth defects following the controversial technique.

The chimeras have tissues and organs made up of cells that come from each of the contributing embryos. The mixtures of cells carried up to six distinct genomes. "The cells never fuse, but they stay together and work together to form tissues and organs," said Shoukhrat Mitalipov, who led the research. "The possibilities for science are enormous." Scientists named the singleton Chimero, and the twins Roku and Hex, meaning six in Japanese and Greek.

Hex was born after merging six individual embryos, according to a report in the journal Cell. "To our knowledge, these infants are the world's first primate chimeras," the authors write.While all three monkeys are biologically male, blood tests revealed that Roku carried both male and female cells.

Tests on the foetuses confirmed that all of the animals' organs and tissues contained cells from more than one embryo.

"If we want to move stem cell therapies from the lab to clinics and from the mouse to humans, we need to understand what these primate cells can and can't do. We need to study them in humans, including human embryos," said Mitalipov.

www.guardian.co.uk...

I'm not sure where all this research is going, but I don't think I like it.

A major milestone in chimera experimentation occurred in 1984, when a chimeric geep was produced by combining embryos from a goat and a sheep, and survived to adulthood.[11] The creation of the "geep" revealed several complexities to chimera development. In implanting a goat embryo for gestation in a sheep, the sheep's immune system would reject the developing goat embryo, whereas a "geep" embryo, sharing markers of immunity with both sheep and goats, was able to survive implantation in either of its parent species. In August 2003, researchers at the Shanghai Second Medical University in China reported that they had successfully fused human skin cells and dead rabbit eggs to create the first human chimeric embryos. The embryos were allowed to develop for several days in a laboratory setting, then destroyed to harvest the resulting stem cells.[12] In 2007, scientists at the University of Nevada School of Medicine created a sheep whose blood contained 15% human cells and 85% sheep cells.[13] The implications of increasingly realizable projects using human-animal hybrids for biopharmaceutical production, and potentially for producing cells or organs, have raised a host of ethical and safety issues.

en.wikipedia.org...(genetics)

They could actually produce new species of animal I think.

Unethical things, in my opinion, are being done behind closed doors. Scary stuff they're doing.

edit on 9-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If the crazy scientists are doing this sort of stuff publicly, image what the militry secret scientists have been upto.

HOwever saying that, we did all react badly to the cloning of the sheep at the time, this however amazing and supprising it seems right now, im worried what we will read about in the next 5 years.

How common place might it be in the near future, are we talking about having embryos "geneticly repaied" in womb cutting out and replacing damaged or even unwanted DNA with standard clean DNA?

"Designer babies" Closer than you think?

edit on 9-1-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm all about this kind of research. I think they should start combining everything they can think of. Maybe they can hook humans up with a extended hibernation so we can travel to other planets without being awake. Or maybe make our night sight better. So many possibility.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

this means we clone busg,cheney,gringrish and obama and create a uber retarded president for sale to any corporate interest?

so does this men we can clone hitler and also combine him at the same time with himmler,goring and van schmitt to produce a super hitler?

a sort of super nazi?

eh?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

What on earth would be the reason behind doing that?!!?!?!

Just because new sciences make unimaginable things possible, does NOT mean they will go ahead and do the worst thing with the new tech!

What about combining Hawking, Dawkins, Darwin etc etc etc?

SOmwhere in a dark lab many floors below the earths crust there is such a mind being grown, maybe not, but super hitler? Thats just..... really out there man

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

What on earth would be the reason behind doing that?!!?!?!

Just because new sciences make unimaginable things possible, does NOT mean they will go ahead and do the worst thing with the new tech!

What about combining Hawking, Dawkins, Darwin etc etc etc?

SOmwhere in a dark lab many floors below the earths crust there is such a mind being grown, maybe not, but super hitler? Thats just..... really out there man

sorry to burst your smug, cosy bubble but the real world is of pain,suffering and unimaginable horror while you sit in your condo watching fox news.

historically it has always been easier to destroy then to build.

think about it.

you have a detonator in your and your finger itchs to press it and cause an explosion. of your enemy.

on the other hand you have a complete kit to build a house for a bum.

which is the easier option?

there millions of neo nazi waiting for hitler to return for the third reich to put into reality.

it is always about using it as a weapon.

you need to read up on science history and stop watching candy floss fox.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Its not smug to have hope and faith that human kind, is not focused on things like making the worst superhuman imaginable.

Somtimes scientists do horrible things to make good things happen, you cant make a vaccine without the virus.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

This is exactly what I was thinking, that maybe designer babies are closer than we think.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I used to think chimeras were kind of cool. Then I watched the anime Full Metal Alchemist, which is a great anime. There was an episode where there was a mad sciemstist joined the military as a, state alchemist which was the highest rank of alchemy (in the anime of course) he joined because the military would support his family . He achieved the title by transmuting the first ever talking chimera. His wife "went missing" and it was only him and his daughter left. Well as you might have guessed, the mad scientist used his wife to create a talking chimera and gained his finacial benefits. Officials asked the chimera what did it want, and it replied, "death" then proceed to commit suicide.

Well, the military threatens his way of life about 4 years later. This time, he uses his daughter and his house dog. It was so sad, the girl wanted to die just like her mother.. Then I thought about how these animals may feel.. Its sad man.

I don't believe man is supposed to go that far with genetic transmutation. Its almost like playing God.

And sorry for misspellings, the keyboard on my tablet sucks.
edit on 9-1-2012 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join