It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God Answering Tim Tebow’s Prayers?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

It's the message, not the football.

Okay. Thought if I made that big enough, someone might actually read it.

edit on 1/9/2012 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

You don't think a God would be too busy dealing with thinks like war, hunger, murder and rape?

I honestly hope God would not be distracting themselves with such meaningless crap as sports, considering the state of the world...

Not directed at you g_s_t, but your post raises a valid point.

If one is to believe in god. An omnipotent, omnipresence being, then how can one also believe that being is limited in some way? Why do people believe god is "too busy" to take all things into consideration?

Again, I'm not saying god is granting victories to Tim Tebow, but I am saying that the prayer is heard, and a response given.

Honestly, I don't think god interferes in our lives much at all. I think god listens, and provides feedback and instruction in unique ways. I believe the answers are there for us to see and hear, but we usually ignore them. I believe every prayer is heard, and every prayer is answered, but it doesn't change the points on the scoreboard.

Still, a question for all of you that believe in god, but think god is too busy for you........ why would you think that?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Still, a question for all of you that believe in god, but think god is too busy for you........ why would you think that?

I know it's not directed at me, but if I may offer a response.

Call me crazy, I just don't think God cares who wins a football game. If God answers such a silly "prayer", I think he answers by not answering.

When I say he is too busy doing other things, I mean, I like to think that any God has some priorities and is not granting football wishes, while some one is being raped and praying for help....

What I mean is I would HOPE God is too busy doing the right thing... I WANT God to be too busy to grant a stupid football wish. Because there are much more important things going on right now that need some tending to, then a stupid football game.

edit on 9-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by angeldoll

It's the message, not the football.

Okay. Thought if I made that big enough, someone might actually read it.

I read it, but may I ask you a question? what is the message?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

thank you for saying that. there are good, pious men on both sides of the field of play. seriously, i would like to hear a player after a loss say "well, god must of wanted the other team to win today. than you lord for our humiliating defeat."

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Football game aside, why would one action be mutually exclusive of the other. If one believes in a god, then why aren't all things possible at all times. I don't think god cares about the football game either, but the people are a different story. What if someone just prays for strength to lead the team? What if one prays for mental fortitude to get through a few more minutes in pain without caving in to their desire to quit? I highly doubt Tebow is praying for touchdowns or field goals, LOL!

We already know rapes, and murders, and child abuse happens. If one truly believes in an omnipotent being, then one has to believe god is present at the very moment of those awful occurrences and god makes a choice to not intervene. So, either that realization shakes the foundation of one's faith, or it does not shake the faith.

There is no such thing as a limited god. (in my opinion of course) A limited god is no god at all, so there is no such thing as "priorities" or "scheduling" of gods activities.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

There is no such thing as a limited god. (in my opinion of course) A limited god is no god at all, so there is no such thing as "priorities" or "scheduling" of gods activities.

Again, call me crazy, but if any God is putting the prayers to lead a team to victory over the prayers of person about to be murdered, God needs to get their priorities straight.

Maybe God doesn't have priorities.... Maybe God does...

But if I am to believe in ANY God, I will believe in one that has priorities and places more importance on things such as murder than a silly football game.

I am not saying God is limited. Priorities do not limit you or anyone else. It just means that you have more important things to deal with than who wins an irrelevant game.

I am not saying God should not answer such wishes. I am saying that I hope God realizes that the prayers of a rape victim to stop their attacker are more important than that of a Quarterback wanting to win a game....

I hope that God realizes that and handles the more important issue first, before getting to the irrelevant BS wishes that people pray about every day.

" Dear God, Please let me win a game"

"Dear God, Save me from this murderer"

I sure hope God has priorities. I would hate for some one to die just so the Broncos can win a game...

If God has no priorities than they better get some, because while the Broncos win their game, people are being murdered and raped. Children are being abused and countries are destroying each other.....

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
When I was in church , we had this thing called witnessing, that is what Tebow is doing, it is.............

not about football, I myself find it hard to believe god cares about football or who wins the Oscars, but once he even used a donkey to speak,

Can I get a witness?

And that makes people nervous.

The reactions to Tebow seem to fall under the category of what theologian Michael J. Murray calls “Theo-phobia.” In his essay “Who’s Afraid of Religion?” Murray argues we’re ill at ease with intrusions of personal faith. We fear they could lead to oppression, or mania, or even prove us wrong. We prefer to keep religion at the abstract distance of historical or socio-cultural discussion, the safe range described by historian George Marsden, “like grandparents in an upwardly mobile family, tolerated and sometimes respected because of their service in the past. . . but otherwise expected either to be supportive or to stay out of the way and not say anything embarrassing.”

www.washingtonpost.com...
You see there There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
edit on 043131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Again, if god is omnipotent, and omnipresent, there is no need to put one task over another. All tasks can be completed simultaneously no matter how great or small.

So, in that case, why would one be more important than another? Any task that does not get completed is not a result of god being too busy, it is a result of god allowing it to happen, or intending for it to happen.

If god had priorities like you suggest, then one life would be more valuable than another in god's eyes. God would be constantly making choices on who to help and who to ignore. I don't believe that is very godly. That is a human projection onto god.

We may not get anywhere in this discussion, because I don't believe god can be described or comprehended in any way. Any attempt to describe or personify a god would only lead us astray. God can't be comprehended in human terms. Therefore, guessing at god's motivations or actions or inactions would only limit the ability of god lead us astray from actually understanding what omnipotent and omnipresent truly means.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Again, if god is omnipotent, and omnipresent, there is no need to put one task over another. All tasks can be completed simultaneously no matter how great or small.

Look, I am agnostic. I am just trying to tell you what I believe that any God that exists would be like. I believe that if God were real, he would put the needs of a person about to be killed over a pointless football game.

If you think he would be helping the potential murder victim at the same time he helps the Broncos win a game, that is your right. I just happen to disagree with that philosophy.

I can understand where you are coming from and I hope you can understand where I am coming from.

So, in that case, why would one be more important than another?

Just because of the possibility that God may or may not be able to answer two prayers at the same time, does not make a football game equal to the needs of a potential murder victim. If you think they are equal for any reason, I completely disagree.

Therefore, guessing at god's motivations or actions or inactions would only limit the ability of god lead us astray from actually understanding what omnipotent and omnipresent truly means.

And at the day that is what we are both doing. Guessing. Truth is, I don't know for sure and neither do you, so what we are doing is discussing our own personal beliefs that we have placed on God.

But my question to you is, if you believe Gods powers are limitless, than how can you say that to guess about God, would limit his abilities? That contradicts your beliefs, no?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

God is putting the prayers to lead a team to victory over the prayers of person about to be murdered, God needs to get their priorities straight.

No god is not, helping him win football games, it is a message,

We were commanded to feed the starving

US

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me,aI was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them,

‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Yes it is our responsibility, and many Christian organization do follow the way, most actually, sadly to many Christians do not.

edit on 053131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

God can't be comprehended in human terms.

I agree.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Would you suggest he become a televangelist instead? Would that be more constructive? What about preaching in a little church in Haiti?

Great observation, I always had a problem with preaching to the choir so to speak, Christ didn't have a church and in my opinion didn't intend to start one, he was a street preacher, in a way,

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

No.. he just happens to be on the team that is doing well this year.
Like how one person and one team win every year.. this year he is doing well and has a chance to win.

..unless he is praying to the dark lord every time he takes a knee.. then it's that.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

No.. he just happens to be on the team that is doing well this year.
Like how one person and one team win every year.. this year he is doing well and has a chance to win.

..unless he is praying to the dark lord every time he takes a knee.. then it's that.

Don't know what to say about that.
edit on 053131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Yes, because out of all of the suffering, tragedies, and injustices going on in the world, the god, who is Christian by the way (that's the correct religion out of the thousands that exist and originated from babylon),

With all these things going on, GOD only cares about a rich football player, meanwhile babies die of starvation...

Why... yes... YES... I FEEL THE POWER... THE POWER COMPELLS ME TO AGREE!! God bless america and to hell with everyone else!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I preface by saying I'm a Florida Gator fan, and by proxy, a Tebow fan. But is God answering his prayers on the field? Only if Tim's prayer goes...."Dear Jesus, please let me struggle for the entire game, barely winning in overtime by the grace of my kicker and defensive scores. Amen"

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I did a search for this topic didn't find it posted,

It is interesting, one might say why would god waste his time on a football game, I wonder that myself, but when you consider the numbers of people the message reaches, and the fact people that have never heard John 3:16, and began googling it, it makes me wonder.
edit on 103131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

It's like if people don't want to believe or go to church or any of that, he will come to them via their own fave hobby.

kinda cool really. I'm not really religious at all but you have to love the story though. It's a good message to get out there.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
so the steelers are sinners ? unworthy ?

how did tiger woods win all those tournaments ?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
so the steelers are sinners ? unworthy ?

how did tiger woods win all those tournaments ?

God only approves of rich US citizens apparently...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join