It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does only an evil species develop interstellar travel?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
I feel like once a civilization gets too that level...

Evil to them.. Would be not letting us in on the secrets of the universe. They would be all knowing, So instead of killing us, how much worse would it be to just leave us alone.. never visiting us.. leaving us here on this rock.

Would you walk into the amazonian jungle and live with indians that you know nothing about. The only thing that is important to them if they exists is to keep our insanity local and away from the rest of the healthy societies. When we prove ourself worthy of help then we get help. When the pupil is ready the master appears. Namaste

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by mandroids

Using POWs/slaves as forced labor can also hinder technological progress-
Many of the folks who were forced to work for the nazis would sabotage equipment/factories even though it meant death if they were found out.
Hence alot of the tech that the Germans thought were going to give them the edge,did not give them the edge as they didn't work as they were supposed to(due to sabotage).

You have chosen a strange name.
There are not much silicone synapses to be found on earth.
Now for your message, yes sabotage always has a great leverage.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by mandroids

I am not sure-I sort of like to believe in Karma,so I would hope any super nasty alien race would get their asses kicked if they started being too nasty in terms of taking over other planets without regard to the inhabitants welfare.

But then again,If this race of aliens is that "evil"then they would not have any moral constraints to prevent them from doing things some would call unethical.
So in theory,they could progress towards interstellar travel quicker than a race who is bound by a moral code.
If you see what I mean.

You are perfectly describing the human race. Taking over other planets without regard to the inhabitants? We do it to other countries, fairly likely we would do it to other planets as well if we knew how to get there.

But we don't have space travel, and are not progressing towards it in any way. Concentrating on rockets is obviously never going to lead to space travel, unless you think we are going to somehow figure out how to take an entire planet's worth of fuel along to Alpha Centauri. And that is ALL that NASA has figured out how to use; rockets. Not exactly a new concept. We have not progressed beyond the "man make fire" stage even today.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think that a species of very spiritually advanced beings would not need to physically travel through space to explore it. They can probably observe and explore space whilst seated in deep meditation. Maybe then only less spiritually advanced beings need to actually travel in their physical body's?

Was it not Pythagoras who said he could hear the music of the spheres!

Personally I think this is what the pyramids were built for, they act to amplify the mind power of those who meditate in them, thus you can explore space without leaving planet earth. How do you think the Egyptians knew so much about the stars etc?
edit on 9-1-2012 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
This is my opinion:
No race evolves with the technology for interstellar travel, they learn and create it. They're not likely to be certain that there's life in the universe, as interstellar travel will most likely be developed before a telescope that can see into other galaxies. Therefore they'll most likely be exploring not conquering when they first come to our planet. Of course, I know literally nothing as does everyone else in this board. Or at least, I hope everyone knows literally nothing

The one scenario that popped into my head mid typing is of a galaxy with hundreds of inhabited planets. Just as we have gone to the moon, they would go to their neighbouring space body and if they already knew that it was inhabited and they were an aggressive race as some users have put forward, they may go with the intention of inhabiting that body. I relatable scenario would be that there was an intelligent race on the moon, and we went and took over. They may then want to carry on to the next inhabited planet in their galaxy, and carry on that way. That would lead them to an 'invasion' mindset, which may lead them to invade planets in other solar systems. Who's to say we're not that planet?

This is of course on the assumption that they're a life form we would recognize as civilization. Who's to say that negative thoughts are actually aliens that manifest in your cerebral cortex and influence your behaviour to rebel against government, over time exterminating the human race that way? If a species has evolved to interstellar space travel, they will have been around for, presumably, a million+ years. The extermination of the human race through civil war over hundreds of years would be nothing for them.

Just my two cents, and I understand I've rambled a LOT, haha.

Cheers,
Ben.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join