It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott SOPA: An Android app that terrifies publishers and politicians

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
open office.

I worked at Sun Microsystems, now Oracle, and I have to disagree 100000% with that statement. Open Office is "nice", but it doesn't hold a candle to Microsoft Office. The Calc and Writer are okay, but that's where it ends. Try doing anything even close to Visio in an Open Office environment, and get back to me. Try their "Project", and enjoy the mess you'll get. No thanks. I friggin' hate that I'm forced to use that sub-standard product.

As for this app, It's a great idea, and I will be installing it.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by netwarrior
Downloaded it to my droid bionic. WOW. I wish the scanners at work functioned as well as this. Glory be! Mountain Dew is SOPA-free. w00t.

Thank you Civ type 3 .... ahh i meant Lord!!

Mountain Dew!! I love you ! Thats right Orange Juice.. one of the Main ingredients

Thanks for showing I got worried !

SOPA screw You

Its what they fear is the Internet ! The Biggest Communication tool of the World!

In Corporate we Trust ! ?

Sounds about right !! From 1976 a Movie called Network ,, Spoke the Truth and still Telling

If haven't Not seen this Movie You Should or at least see this Clip ( Below ) all the way through !
Network -- Corporate Cosmology

edit on 10-1-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)
edit on 10-1-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

lol. What can I say. I got CS5 full on 60% off thanks to school. I don't even use MS office things anymore.

I'm sure there's something decent out there for vector graphics. But to be honest, I got off lucky on that one.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Very nice! Good find OP, now any app designers out there? Iphone next maybe? ... *Hint hint*

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Downloaded this app as soon as I saw this thread. I hope this takes off and makes a big enough dent in the pockets of SOPA supporters' profits to get them to drop their support.

The wallet is the groin of a corporation, so hit 'em where it hurts

Great find, OP

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Now
Very nice! Gi second this ideaood find OP, now any app designers out there? Iphone next maybe? ... *Hint hint*

i second this idea,
the more platforms this spreads on the better
people purchace power
now that is democracy in on open market at its finest

down with sopa

xploder

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Um... can somebody possibly dig up any evidence that Coca-Cola Co. ever supported SOPA in the first place? I've been searching for evidence of it for the past 20 minutes or so, and they don't appear on any of the lists floating around out there. Makes me wonder if this app is legitimate or something PepsiCo floated out in the hopes of getting more tech heads to join the Pepsi revolution... This is why it is important for these types of apps to be open source. Somebody needs to do some independant testing of the app on known SOPA supporter product as well as on known Non-supporter products and see what the accuracy rate is before we all start soiling our britches over this.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Humm.. You can use www.ubuntu.com... OS to dump Windows Os and best part is you don't have to worry about any virus !

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
SOPA / Protect IP Bill Is A Trap : Be a HERO and Help STOP It Now !

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

The app's "bad companies" list includes subsidiaries and parent companies of supporting brands. Coca-Cola, for instance, made the list through SOPA-supporter L'Oreal, which is owned in part by Coke's Nestea partner, Nestle.

Mashable

The link gives a little more information on this app and how two juniors in college created this list. It continues to be updated according to reports.

Eventually, the app’s creators hope to make a version that would also identify offending items in other boycotts. They started with SOPA, says Doranti, since “we thought it would be a cool programming project … we’re connoisseurs of the Internet, and SOPA is going to screw the Internet up.”

Peace

Now....back to my Mounain Dew.

edit on 10-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier
Just got my teenager a smart phone i guess that will be harder to convince her that some big record companies want to undermine her way of life. She may even have to give up Justin Beiber lol, i guess then that is killing 2 birds with one stone

Your daughter will be greatly relieved to hear Justin Beiber's position on SOPA.

And, in one of the earliest celebrity SOPA slams, pop singer Justin Beiber—who owes his rise to fame largely to YouTube—told a radio show that supporters of this bill should be "locked up—put away in cuffs."

Source

My own kids would never forgive me if I didn't defend the Beib. Ha. Have to give him credit for being early to the SOPA bath.

Peace

edit on 10-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Originally posted by Realtruth
The developers should go one step further, in the application, and just after a scan/verify, have email address and online form ready for each offending merchant, then all customers can instantly send a message why they are boycotting that specific product.

Can you imagine the number of emails these companies would get in response to SOPA?
edit on 9-1-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

Maybe they can add this cross reference to the app...Names of "bad companies" AND contact information. Ahh, the beauty of spreadsheets.

SOPA supporters with contact information

Google has a Google Doc, which contains a spreadsheet of all the companies currently supporting the bill—and shares their contact information.

Source

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

Boycott SOPA: An Android app that terrifies publishers and politicians

Armchair activists now have a tool that can transport their SOPA protestations into the real world: Boycott SOPA, an Android app that scans barcodes and tells you whether an object’s manufacturer/publisher is a supporter of the much maligned Stop Online Piracy Act.

Here's how the user-driven app works:

If you’ve ever scanned a barcode on your Android phone to look up a book or CD on Amazon, Boycott SOPA works in exactly the same way: First you have to install the ZXing Barcode Scanner app, but then you simply go around pointing your phone’s camera at product barcodes. Boycott SOPA gives you a big red cross if the product is distributed by a SOPA supporter, or a green tick if it’s “clean.” Much to my chagrin, Coca-Cola supports SOPA — but Smirnoff, on the other hand, does not. If you ever needed a sign from Above that you ought to drink more, there it is.

Source

Download free app link

Again, you cannot hold me or anyone else responsible for what my neighbor says or repeats, over the fence line.

That's what the internet is. It is your fence post you lean on when you want to talk things over, contribute, collaborate, with your cyber neighbor. What SOPA is trying to do is use some newly imagined liability as your neighbor's keeper, to control and constrict where and how and even what can be shared in future conversations.

Dear gov, get out of my backyard and off my property. We will no longer be your enabler for greed to be the sole motivation and driving force, in all policy issues.

For God's sake you legislative lackeys, people are starving in your streets, good people and people who are willing to work; and you are still playing the game to see who wins this round of monopoly by hoarding the most cash.

SOPA needs to go down the drain. Beware all ye who are bending over in the shower to pick SOPA up. It appears there's an app for that.

How SOPA could kill ATS

SOPA worse than you think

edit on 9-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

Is there an app like this that will work on an IPhone? If so, what is the name of the app?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Have the publishers and politicians actually came out and said that this app terrifies them? I would like to see more evidence of this.

This is an interesting use of technology, none the less.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
scanning barcodes to protest an anti-piracy movement.

ok, now don't get me wrong, I do oppose the fed getting involved in the issue of piracy in the manner they are doing...but consider this. This app could have been used for such great commerce movements, such as boycotting products by corporations that manipulate the political process, or use child labor, or outsourcing jobs, etc...

But instead the idea is this? I said it is missing an opportunity

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
wait hold the phone i thought microsoft was against SOPA?

news.cnet.com...

Did i miss something?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
This is awesome. Now I need one for my computer too.

Just wish I could get a viable solution to replace Microsoft products.

Linux Ubuntu is as good as windows.
its just that not all games can be used on it YET!
its all free. you burn it to a CD.
and boot from the CD.
so you can see if you like it.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Did anyone bother to look at the permissions on the ZX Barcode Scanner? They want permissions to
-Storage
-System Tools
-Network Communications
-Hardware Controls
-Your Personal Information (Read browser history and bookmarks, read contact data, write contact data)

Why the heck do they need to know what your personal information is, and be able to write it??

That's too much for me, I will not download that app. Does anyone know of a different barcode scanner that can be used?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Does this work? Every time I scan something that it recognizes, it reads "Bic lighter."

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

It is dled and ready to be used! SOPA must be shut down!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join