It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy Leader of UK calls Scots Extremists

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It's not worth talking about it in this thread if people start swearing, it's up to us scots an no-one else anyway.
End of......

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

I did but people tried to belittle me instead of answering a genuine question -it is they who should be asking questions of themselves.

Of course I regret the minor swear word and personal attack but this site is here for discussion and debate and not ridiculing and belittling people.

I apologise to all who I offended.

A straight forward answer was all I asked for, but apparently that's too much to expect of some people.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I am Scottish and live in Scotland.

If Scotland gets independence, I am moving and selling up.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I thank you for your apology and retract my "walloper" comment.
Now, why did I take offence?
Quite simply, you're comment indicated that Independence was something to be "granted". Perhaps, you meant to use another word, either way I'm quite happy to bury the claymore.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred
reply to post by bigyin

Well looking to end a political union which has lasted hundreds of years over a resurgence of nationalist sentiment is a pretty extreme thing to do. That being said Nick Clegg is a fool and SNP voters are for the most part NOT extremists.
edit on 9-1-2012 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

Worked well for Norway to end union with sweden after nearly a whole century.
Dont see why it should be so different for Scotland if it is done properly.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It feels like getting stabbed in the back by a friend.

Shame on you Scotland. Just trying to cosy up with Europe, I suppose.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

nice history lesson! but as i recall,canada was a dominion of ENGLAND fool, and they named it nova scotia(new scotland in latin) because of all the oppressed scots that fled their homeland for a new life in the ENGLISH colonies.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
It feels like getting stabbed in the back by a friend.

Shame on you Scotland. Just trying to cosy up with Europe, I suppose.

Oh please! Stabbed in the back? Isn't that a little dramatic? We simply want to achieve Independence, is that so difficult to understand? Perhaps Scotland would be better off negotiating with Europe on it's own terms. I'm not convinced that it would be the way to go though.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As I have said before, I am Scottish and prounion

The shortbread box patriotism really grips my xxxx!

I would like to poll Scotland and find out how many of those supporting independence have actually lived outside the uk.

I would wager that if they did, then maybe they'd realise just how small scotland really is.

By voting for independence we make it even smaller on the world stage. Our industries are whiskey, tourism and the public sector.

Nothing to base a future on - the oil is someone else's.

Here's a joke that rung true with me - this romantic idea of the motherland.

What's the difference between an Australian boomerang and a Scottish boomerang?
The Australian one comes back.
The Scottish one sings about coming back.

Generally, scots don't return once they leave to live elsewhere. There's a reason for that....and it's that living abroad in progressive, optimistic cultures is preferable to living in Scotland....land of absolute delusion.

Funnily enough, I came back to the uk because my partner wanted us to live in Scotland for a while. HE'S ENGLISH.

The scots need to stop moaning and grow up.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Lol You come on to this thread saying you are of SCOTTISH decent and lived in Nova Scotia. Then you go onto blame THE ENGLISH for Noca Scotia. Absolutley priceless i can't stop laughing
Maybe all your people should leave the Island then and come back to Scotland...............but i bet you won't.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Numpty1

Of course it's for the Scots to decide, I think i've made my personal opinion perfectly clear.

I understand the confusion now.....unfortunately it is up to Cameron to 'grant' you something that should be, and according to the UN Charter. is your inalienable right to self-determination.

Cameron is also denying us this right on the European vote.
The majority of Brits want a vote on continued membership of the EU and feel that Cameron is continuing the trend of surrendering sovereignty to a foreign state.
He however thinks that it is wrong for us and so is denying us our right of self-determination.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
SNP = Seen as heroes.
BNP = Seen as nazi's

Europe want Scotland to be "independent" so that Europe will then control Scotland. Only reason any of this is happening.

Because lets face it, if Scotland was "independent" Britain would be a lot weaker to stand up to the EU-Nazis.

I want an Independent Scotland, but personally think it will be a bad thing for the Scottish people (i'm half scottish) - Half of the progressive measures Scotland have brought forward would be scrapped if Scotland went Independent because the English Government would no longer subsidies these schemes.
edit on 9-1-2012 by RebellionOutlaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

you blamed scotland for N.S,i just corrected your warped 'version' of history. as far as i know,scotland has never over took another country,they got the orkneys as a debt for lack of dowrey from the danes. the norse and celts came to scotland and mixed with the picts. any more 'history' you would like to share?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RebellionOutlaw
SNP = Seen as heroes.
BNP = Seen as nazi's

Europe want Scotland to be "independent" so that Europe will then control Scotland. Only reason any of this is happening.

WOW!!!!! Just WOW!!!
That is all!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I think sometimes that you have to put yourself in another's shoes, to see where they're at.

The mainstream media in the UK is London centric, you'll agree with that. And with that comes a Unionist slant too. And I see EvanB is in this thread so I'll mention this, the London daily newspapers (and his favourite, the Daily Mail) they set the agenda, the BBC, ITV News, Reuters etc they all take their lead from the newspapers whilst precariously trying to be as objective as any media organisation located in London & mainly staffed by Englishmen could possibly be.

The Scottish media's no longer like that. Sure, some folk in Scotland still tune into the Today programme on R4, but for many more though it'll be the Radio Scotland equivalent, or local independent radio. And it'll be The Scotsman or The Herald, the Scottish Sun or the Record and not the Mail, the Mirror, the Indepenent, Telegraph etc.

The Scottish establishment, especially the Civil Service, is slowly switching allegiance from London to Edinburgh too, it's a trend picked up by the Cabinet Secretary in a speech made last month. The Scottish media is changing, the Scots mindset is changing and no longer will people quietly acquiesce when politicians from London, who have little electoral support in Scotland, try to play the whip hand.

So, I think you have to live in Scotland, to experience what's going on in that country before you can really decide what's best for them, what they should be "granted" from on high. It's a criticism relevant to so many of us when we pass comment on events in other countries, in some ways we just simply parrot what we're fed. And that's as true of me as it is of you ... and of the OP.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Star, and a very balanced and well written post.
we need more of you.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul

you blamed scotland for N.S,i just corrected your warped 'version' of history. as far as i know,scotland has never over took another country,they got the orkneys as a debt for lack of dowrey from the danes. the norse and celts came to scotland and mixed with the picts. any more 'history' you would like to share?

I will share this history with you:-

en.wikipedia.org...

The Scots first COLONIZED Nova Scotia in 1621. That was 86 years before Scotland joined the Union Of Great Britain.. Do you understand what i am saying or don't you realise the truth from your warped version of history? Just read it and learn. You can come back and appologise at any time

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by YeshuaPiso

After some internecine friction, the Scots and Picts united under Kenneth MacAlpin - first King of Scotland.

Yes, the first Union between Scots and Britons. One I'd be happy to see rescinded

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by alldaylong

Originally posted by trustnothing
reply to post by bigyin

I completely agree they are getting desperate, cant wait for an independent Scotland, we dont need Westminster or the City of London any more
edit on 9-1-2012 by trustnothing because: (no reason given)

As an Englishman i will be glad when Scotland becomes independent. The English can then stop subsidising Scotland. Then you can see how much Scotland needs Westminster:-

www.moneywise.co.uk...

Was waiting for this type of ignorant post...and as expected its from an Englishman...

You clearly have no idea...if Scotland becomes independent, which we will (thank the lord), we will be entitled to around 90% of the oil fields in the North Sea, let alone the Atlantic fields. With Scotland being the leading country for renewable energy in Tidal and wave, we will also capture that business. We will be allowed to dictate our own corporation taxes too.

So along with England losing a hell of a lot of oil, they will also lose a lot of companies who will relocate, lose the renewable energy sector and that brilliant idea of £2,000,000,000 per year increase in North Sea Oil tax introduced by Mr Osbourne.

You guys down there think that we are subsidised by you lot but what you fail to see is that without the business generated through oil and energy, you lot have NOTHING...

England will feel the pinch far worse than Scotland will, trust me...
what friggin oil? the boom years are over mate English shale gas is the new liquid gold

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join