It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we have war?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
War is meaningless among humans. There are so many reasons to not have war, but stubborn human nature prevents true peace from ever occuring.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

We will eventually destroy ourselves, and wonder why it came to this.

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, scince for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despiceable an ignoreable war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." -- Albert Einstein

In all of this, nothing is truely "evil". An example would be fire.

Fire has no outside bias.
Fire has no emotions or mood.
It never decides who to burn, or what to scorch.
It can be the lifegiver, but it can also be the taker.

Its ALL based on the perspective of the person observing it.

Look at the word "theatre". The base root, "theos", translates to the word "God". You are observing in an omniscient/omnipresent situation. You are only based on your individual judgement.

But why do we slaughter MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people to attain a political cause? To "make a point to the other side"? One can do that with words.

Please, everyone. Offer me a reason why war is so necessary to the nature of mankind in the age that we are currently living in, as coherent as we are. We are not cavemen, we are men. We can understand, but we refuse to do so. We take violence over most actions because it is our NATURE to do so.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mach5

In a nutshell, it is an instinctual characteristic nature has given us in order to protect ourselves from the surrounding environment. You are right, it has no meaning, but its meant to increase reproductive success, so this is why we have the capacity to defend ourselves. Survival of the fittest is a unique and deadly concept that nature has selected us for.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
But tell me, during the Cold War, was it SO necessary to point nukes at each other, nearly obliterating 50% of the world over some petty technology race?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mach5

Agreed, the Cold War was pointless, this is how our species works, we have to constantly prove to our surroundings that we are able to take it over, from making spears and swords all the way to nukes, who else knows what we will be capable of in about 50 years or so lol.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mach5
Offer me a reason why war is so necessary to the nature of mankind in the age that we are currently living in, as coherent as we are.

I see the question, but it looks like you already answered it.

We take violence over most actions because it is our NATURE to do so.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mach5

I am afraid that war is only necessary in the world we live in now. Why? Because there is always someone, who wants more, someone who can not understand the meaning of respecting others opinions, beliefs and way of life.

If everyone was able to just say: "Well... I dont really agree with or understand whatever they are doing over there, but they dont understand or agree with me either. So we agree to disagree and when we meet, we just talk about something else, cause I know we agree on something. Perhaps not everything, but some things and thats enough."

That is really all it takes, agree to disagree and have some respect for each others differences, wether we like them or not. If we all understood that, we would not need to go to war or fight amongst each other. We could simply listen to each others points of view, and say: "Hey, I dont agree with you, but you have some pretty awesome meals and a really nice country. Can I visit sometimes? Yes? Awesome, you come over and take a look at my culture some day too then, yeah? Awesome. See ya there!"

I mean what the hell? Why not just respect each other. Why do we have to throw an entire war, just because we dont like someones point of view or want whatever riches the other guys have? Honestly it is silly.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NoClue206

Yes, it is sad like that. Also, I did see how I answered myself, but I wanted to state something. Food for thought you know.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mach5

We have war because its profitable... yay for governments eh

And we have war because we do not "love our neighbours"

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by needlenight

Your post is something commendable. A mentor once taught me one of the best defenses in the world. No, its not a political superiority complex, not your .44, not a flak vest.

It is to have no enemies.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

War is natural. I say war is natural and not human nature because we just do it better then any other animal on earth. Animals kill each other for territory just like humans, we just do it on a larger scale. There isn't a time where man wasn't at war in known history.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
we can thank that idiot einstein for giving us the atomic bomb. then he has the audacity to make quotes.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Mach5

It's hard wired into our genetics I think. It is not necessary but a simple reality.

When a new group of Humans would enter another groups area the indigenous group would be forced to kill them to survive. If they did not, the food would give out.

Then you have the reality that often war is necessary for defense. You either defend your country / land from invaders or they kill you. Again a case of survival.

The desire to conquer and expand I see as genetic also. It helps to guarantee survival and spread your genes.

I think people are often naive about this. They think for some reason that if they are pacifistic or peaceful that so is everyone else. That of course is not even close to reality. The moment weakness is perceived someone, some group will take advantage of it.

If we ever did abandon civilization for anarchy, the bloodbath would be enormous.

Someday perhaps a few hundred years from now we will evolve past it. For now though, the world is very dangerous. I think that often people are naive. It's a wonderful dream, but at this point in our history dropping our defenses would be suicide. A person would be technically insane if they believed that we could just do away with our military and law enforcement. Insane or naive to the point they would be a danger to themselves and those around them.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoClue206
reply to post by Akragon

War is natural. I say war is natural and not human nature because we just do it better then any other animal on earth. Animals kill each other for territory just like humans, we just do it on a larger scale. There isn't a time where man wasn't at war in known history.

True; Bonobos engage in war for territory, cannibalism and given a choice eat meat when available and prefer it to other foods. In fact they eat their enemy after killing them. We are quite normal as far as Great Apes go. In watching Bonobos we are clearly looking at our past.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Yes it is human nature... but we have a choice not to kill...

The world can feel free to act like animals, i will not...

War is pointless and motivated by money and power...

But what isn't these days.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
War generates productivity.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
In a manner you have answered your own question; it is in our nature. But the question and even answer begs to receive a much deeper observation and the true cause and effects of our war-like nature.

Typically, war comes down to economics -- and the basic knowledge that resources are limited. When one party has reached its natural resources (including power) limit and seeks to expand, it has a variety of means of accomplishing the acquisition of those resources.

Historically war on a larger scale can be broken down into two categories: Expansion of power or increasing limited resources.

In my opinion as long as the human experiment remains on its evolutionary level it is currently on, war is just part of this world.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Look at the focus of our civilization: Our government and media spout out negativity. It's a great way to gain control. Those that are afraid are easier to control. Negativity perpetuates negativity, positivity perpetuates positivity. War is a result of a negative perspective on ourselves and our world. If we decided to look at ourselves in a positive light, we would get positive results. It is simply up to us to CHOOSE how we want to live and in what type of world we want to live.....

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
For those who say war is natural and a part of our nature.
Yes it is and have been so for many years. Just like animals fight for the best hunting grounds and territories.

But the difference is, that we humans now have the intelligence and wisdom to see that it is hurting us. And that we are able to live in a world without war. Somewhere down the road, we will be able to face our differences and realise they really are not that big of a deal. That wisdom is hopefully what will save us eventually. We have the ability to change our nature and adapt to whatever we create.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

War has many faces. It's not always invading countries or bombing buildings. It can be a simple as taking back power that was grabbed by a few in the panic of the moment (9/11 being an example). If a cause I believe in requires me to do something most wouldn't then so be it. But hey that's just me, I'll fight for what I believe in.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

War has many faces. It's not always invading countries or bombing buildings. It can be a simple as taking back power that was grabbed by a few in the panic of the moment (9/11 being an example). If a cause I believe in requires me to do something most wouldn't then so be it. But hey that's just me, I'll fight for what I believe in.

Exactly, "fighting for what you believe in, wether anyone else agrees with it or not". It is a double edged sword.
You can believe in peace but still fight for it, which is silly. You can believe in your own country and fight for it, untill the rest of the world has been forced to agree with you.

I believe in peace and not fighting for it. I believe in living for peace. Respect and tolerance through unity. I know that is no good right now, cause too many does not do the same. But I will not give up that belief. I will hang on to it, untill I die and I will teach it to my children and hopefully they will teach it to theirs.
So I am just waiting, waiting for everyone to believe in peace and for once, not fighting for that belief. But living for it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join