It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Permits Defense Exports to South Sudan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
U.S. President Barack Obama has given his approval for the sale of weapons and defense services to South Sudan, possibly paving the way for purchases of air defense systems, equipment the South has been asking for since before its independence.

Source

In a Jan. 6 memo sent to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Obama said that the "furnishing of defense articles and defense services to the Republic of South Sudan will strengthen the security of the United States and promote world peace."

On November 25 2011, Reuters reported that Mustafa Abdel Jalil, chairman of Libya's National Transitional Council, arrived in Khartoum on his first official visit.

Source

"If not for Sudanese military assistance, it would not have been possible to liberate Kufra," he said at a conference of Sudan's ruling National Congress Party, referring to a town in Libya's remote southeastern desert.

"The weapons and ammunition which Sudan donated even reached the Western Mountains, by way of our sister Egypt," he said.

China on the other hand has provided Sudan with military assistance and purchases some 60 percent of it's oil output.

Source

Much controversy surrounds Sino-Sudanese relations, which have existed since 1959 when Sudan first established diplomatic relations with China. Many critics of this relationship, such as international NGO Human Rights Watch, have claimed that China’s rising imports for Sudanese oil coincides with the sales of Chinese small weapons to Khartoum, and that these weapons sales have only exacerbated the already deadly conflict in Sudan’s western region, Darfur. Since China shares close ties with Sudan, this newsletter will discuss China’s relationship with Sudan. It will also examine the 2011 referendum to be held in Juba and how this may possibly alter Beijing’s relationship with this African state.

Sudan, Libya agree on political, economic integration

China offered Gadhafi huge stockpiles of arms: Libyan memos

Sino-Sudanese partnership attains many gains in Red Sea State

State sponsors of terrorism

Al-Qaeda and NATO's taking of Libya

edit on 8-1-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Hmm.. almost seems like a reward for something. If there had been a recent conflict in the area with a country like Libya, one might hazard to guess they are getting this for their part in the conflict, clandestine or otherwise.

One might think...

nah..

Edit to add. Another article on the subject.

TRIPOLI, Libya — The Sudanese president, for years an adversary of Moammar Gadhafi, offered his nation’s help Saturday in disarming Libya’s former rebel fighters and integrating them into the army and police forces — one of the trickiest problem’s facing Libya’s new leaders.

Li nk
edit on 8-1-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Are you a disinfo agent, pro-Arab /anti Black African?

South Sudan are Black African/ Non-Muslims. Sudan oil actually belongs to the South Sudanese. But it seems Muslims try to steal claim to any drop of oil they can.

Remember the Darfur genocides? That is/was the South Sudanese. Mr. Obama is actually DOING A GOOD THING!

The way you wrote it up and most of the comment from others is so blatantly fraudulent I have to question if any of the other posters(including the OP) are sober. If by any chance you did not consume any controlled substances I strongly suggest you either a) check the paint in your home as it may be an older lead based paint or b) check your dental fillings in-case you have mercury fillings that are venting.

South Sudan is trying to become and free and independent Nation. Something the muslim, North Sudanese have been desperately trying to prevent(and why they committed acts of genocide in Darfur and other border areas).

I am actually surprised the Chinese didn't move to help South Sudan first, so I really have to give props to the Obama Administration for acting some what quickly on this. Because the nation of South Sudan will need those weapons to prevent North Sudan from continuing to steal their oil and bullying them.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Okay...Not quite sure where you were going with that, but the reason for the write up being the way it is is because it's highlighting a broader view of interests in the area other than what the OP states, that have arose from conflicts in Northern Africa, Libya, Egypt.

And yes I agree with you in regards to what the President did by way of sending military aid into South Sudan, being that it is the 193 U.N. Member State; admitted on July 14, 2011, and formerly known as the Republic of South Sudan.

Example

South Sudan is trying to become and free and independent Nation. Something the muslim, North Sudanese have been desperately trying to prevent(and why they committed acts of genocide in Darfur and other border areas).

Okay...agreed. So you didn't draw any parallels between the above quoted post and the infiltration of rebels ( from the Northen desert areas) as a precursor to possible heightened military aggression from the North, against the South. Same ideology...why do you think they need these weapons, to battle the insurgency.

Oh, and by the way, they are already free and independent.

I'm well aware of the Agenda of the U.N..the conflict isn't restricted to a confined space or peoples, it encompasses a much larger scale than just South Sudan.

Read this for starters:

Abovetopsecret.com

Abovetopsecret.com

And maybe this one:

Abovetopsecret.com

Thanks, be well man...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

Okay...Not quite sure where you were going with that, but the reason for the write up being the way it is is because it's highlighting a broader view of interests in the area other than what the OP states, that have arose from conflicts in Northern Africa, Libya, Egypt.

And yes I agree with you in regards to what the President did by way of sending military aid into South Sudan, being that it is the 193 U.N. Member State; admitted on July 14, 2011, and formerly known as the Republic of South Sudan.

Example

Okay...agreed. So you didn't draw any parallels between the above quoted post and the infiltration of rebels ( from the Northen desert areas) as a precursor to possible heightened military aggression from the North, against the South. Same ideology...why do you think they need these weapons, to battle the insurgency.

Oh, and by the way, they are already free and independent.

I'm well aware of the Agenda of the U.N..the conflict isn't restricted to a confined space or peoples, it encompasses a much larger scale than just South Sudan.

Read this for starters:

Abovetopsecret.com

Abovetopsecret.com

And maybe this one:

Abovetopsecret.com

Thanks, be well man...

allafrica.com...

South Sudan has agreed to stop a practice that was a result of 20 years of civil war with the oppressive Muslim North. Ages where 13:17 for Child Soldiers in South Sudan, hardly what one thinks when they think of children soldiers and if anything a distortion of the truth. As people as young as 16 fought in Western Armies up until the Second World War*.

And any talk of an African Union that includes North Africa(African Muslim Nations) is a joke. Look at Nigeria. Muslim North and Christian/ Anamist(animal worshipers) South. Heck after decades of the Southern Nigerians putting up with the Muslim North's garbage they are finally pushing back.

And muslims have long regarded non-muslim blacks as animals(which is the reason why Europeans briefly used African Blacks as slaves because of the bigoted mindset of muslims).

It is like trying to make Iron cleave to Clay. There is too much bad history for a Union of those people to ever be possible. And a strong, federal African government would be a mistake. What the Sub-Saharan Africans need is more of a confederacy type government; similar to the Article of Confederacy(the Colonies first attempt at establishing an American Nation). They are too diverse a people, who need to do a lot of catching up. I know as Westerners it is easy to look at them and see them as all being the same. Because from our vantage point that is how they appear. But from their vantage point(the one that matters in this case), there are many radical and sometimes irreconcilable differences between even neighboring tribes, let alone a multitude of African Nations.

My guess is Mr. Obama is only selling Weapons to South Sudan so they don't buy from the Chinese and Russians(and develop closer ties to said nations). + Weapons manufacturers probably bugged the heck out of him + members of Congress where said weapons are made have probably been bugging the heck out of Mr. Obama.

In closing, I still feel your topic is misleading. Akin to a topic heading about Ron Paul but all the material in the opening post of the topic talks only about the democratic primary.

P.S

but the reason for the write up being the way it is is because it's highlighting a broader view of interests in the area other than what the OP states

YOU ARE THE OP! Talking about yourself in the third person is kind of creepy if I may say so. Then again both your picture and the picture thingy for the only other reply seem to have the same kind of style to them. Maybe the Mod's need to do an IP check?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I really appreciate discussing the topic with you, and also appreciate your views. How you fit Ron Paul into this I'm not quite sure, if you care to ellaborate on that, I'm all ears.

Actually your response all the way upto the last P.S. is great, then you completely lose topic and go off on a tangent about pictures and a picture thingy. Yestarday you asked me if I was a dis-info agent
then in your latest response you ask the Mods to check my IP.

YOU ARE THE OP! Talking about yourself in the third person is kind of creepy if I may say so. Then again both your picture and the picture thingy for the only other reply seem to have the same kind of style to them. Maybe the Mod's need to do an IP check?

Look man, I will gladly keep dicussing the OP / topic / subject / third person me with you, you seem to have knowledge about the topic, that is if you can stay on topic without attacking, if not go elsewhere.

Be well man...

edit on 12-1-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
How is Mobarracks Family Sudan?

new topics

top topics

join