It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth at night seen from space ISS (HD 1080p) ORIGINAL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Very nice video, best to view it in full screen mode and high definition but 360 is also good hope you all enjoy this time out from all the doom and gloom of who said what and when and how.

All images used in this video were taken by the astronauts of Expedition 29 (Commander Mike Fossum, Flight Engineer Dan Burbank, Flight Engineers Satoshi Furukawa, Sergei Volkov, Anatoly Ivanishin and Anton Shkaplerov) aboard the International Space Station. ISS altitude is about 350 kilometers above Earth surface.

How Earth Sounds from Space

What this rock we call earth sounds like in space..we truly are a noise bunch of humans...

City Lights From Space

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This is amazing, just shows how beautiful our planet can be.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Really great video, thanks for posting.
Especially interesting how little light Africa and most of Russia emit. Turn a light on you guys!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Cool. What I wouldn't give for 90 minutes (I think one complete rotation) in the ISS. The trip there and back would be scary though. It's not exactly a smooth ride in a rocket I believe. I wonder what seeing several sunrises and sunsets a day does to your sense of time too.

Earth sounds kinda like you would expect. A crowded room with everyone talking at once and not a single word is understandable, in any language.

As for light pollution, it will let the incoming alien hordes know which places to attack the hardest I guess.
I hate it because you can't see the night sky properly. All those cool views of the milky way you see from people's youtube videos are not possible with the naked eye here.
ETA Like this one from Death Valley

edit on 8/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

More amazing footage, nice one is this how it would look if I were stood there or is this just a cameras view?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lBLaCkOuTl

According to the youtube info:

Some satellites and planes can be seen briefly in the video, along with a few shooting stars (meteors) near the bottom of the frame just before dawn. This was shot with a Canon 1Ds Mark III digital SLR camera over a period of about six hours, and is composed of about 500 photographs.

ETA So yes, just naked eye and a camera.

edit on 8/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Absolutely amazing. Sure looks like CGI though, considering that "rudder" in the end...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
That footage from the ISS is amazing.
If I was an alien I'd come just for the night lights.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I totally get off on the lightening and aurora borealis,complete random beauty.

The matrix of city lights however remind me of printed circuit boards looking artificial and cold.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Look at all those lights! No wonder we're choking on isotopes and Co2. Can't we all just go to bed?

There's this other much more boring (voice) one that shows differences in the way different cities appear from the ISS. If you can get past the first "how we did it bit". Zip to 01:55:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
ill tell you all something, i work something like 14 hrs a day seven days a week, yeah i work aloooot of hours, but hey i chose to do what i do cause i love my work. I get to meet many different people in the world some are good and some are down right evil in the true sense of the word. But viewing videos like this, it does make me feel so ridiculously small, so insignificant, so irrelevant when being compared to the planet. In short , videos like this bring me back to reality real fast and i so need these type of reality checks as the internet ( my job ) tends to take control in ways that scares me more than i care to admit.

Im really happy you guys like the videos, i was hesitating at first but then i thought, nah what the hell, as the nike advertisement would say " Just Do It "

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

...the internet ( my job ) tends to take control in ways that scares me more than i care to admit.

Im really happy you guys like the videos, i was hesitating at first but then i thought, nah what the hell, as the nike advertisement would say " Just Do It "

Oh yeah mon... goood effort. This is ATS. We love pics.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I loveeee watching these kinds of vids, thank you for sharing!
I've been fascinated, if not obsessed with space and astronomy since I was a toddler, and I hope and pray that I'll be able to catch a shuttle and see this first hand one day!

I made this vid with some of Terje Sorgjerd's timelapse work (He is amazing) as well as the pictures from the WISE project released last year.

"The Beauty of Perspective"

edit on 9-1-2012 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Sure looks good and all but the problem is that I don't trust NASA one iota,
and I have seen comparable graphics and cut scenes on many of my sons
computer games.
I am also well aware of the vast amount of fakery associated with NASA up
to and including the present day.

Go through this link if you wish to get a better feel for my position
Endeavour And The Spaced Out NASA Efforts

Sorry for being unromantic and cynical.
I am sure the views are quite awesome in actuality.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
In the first video there is something to the left like an object or maybe just a reflection?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Great video. S & F!

It makes me wonder.....

Is it a natural progression for a civilisation to create an artificial light source?

Is it possible to detect civilisations existence across a (or at least, 'part of a') galaxy once the said civilisation reaches a certain technological level at a certain population density so as to emit sufficient light pollution?

Pondering a extreme scenario....."A planet that is emitting light across most of its surface"....One would naturally assume that a planet emitting light at a sufficient intensity would make it easier to detect. I think that the opposite may be true if ET's methods for detecting Goldilocks type planets are anything like our own. At the moment we detect goldilocks planets when they pass in front of their parent star/s. If a planet was emitting light at a high enough luminosity, then the planet would be camouflaged as it passed in front of its parent star.

Maybe the best way not to attract the attention of unfriendly ET's is to flood the dark side of the planet with artificial light and hope that their long range re-con is optically based.
edit on 9/1/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
HAHAHAHA. Australia was Dark!
No one's home down here.....

So considering our carbon footprint, well we barely have one.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Yeah, I shot those images last night with my camcorder.......cool huh

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Thanks. I want to save this one, and watch it again when the mood hits.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
In the first video there is something to the left like an object or maybe just a reflection?

I think reflection. You can see the same happening when the sun rises in this film of comet Lovejoy from the ISS (credit to chadwickius thread on the subject) More cool photos here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Forgot to link video

edit on 9/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Fixed link

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join