It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thrift store finds... the original iMac in bondi blue with a sweet 82 yr old lady's recipes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I was out yesterday looking at one of the local used furniture stores and came across this

The Original iMac

It's a teal Apple iMac from 1998 lol I got it for $75 dollars. She wanted $100 and I said $75 and she took it. I was pretty happy.

It's kind of funny to me in a personal way. When these first came out I wanted one so bad. I would be in Circut City, where my bf worked and would just wish I could have one. I was 19 and obviously didn't have $1200 to buy one. My first Apple was a 17in Powerbook G4 and I loved that thing. I had it for years and it worked great. I had a 15in Powerbook G4 after that and now currently have a 15in Macbook Pro. So I kind of laugh at how I finally got one
I saw one about 6 yrs ago in a store and didn't buy it and always kicked myself but this one came with all kinds of things.

I will get it upgraded as far as I can. I have found certain sites already and know they can be upgraded to a certain extent. For what I will use it for it's perfect.

This a list of what it came with:

Claris Works 5.0 (with 2 manuals as well)
iOmegaware 6.x software and books
Faxstf 5.0 book and software
MacDraw Pro book/manual
Quicken for Macintosh 98 softare with manual/guide
The iMac Book
Easy iMac book (color guide for the OS)
Cliff Notes "Using Your First Mac"
FileMaker Pro users guide
Claris Filemaker II manual
Belkin 4 port USB hub (I needed one of those too!)
Install and restore disc Version OS 8.1
William Sonoma Good Cooking disc (it's all recipes!! Perfect for me)
Quicken Deluxe 98 Software
MDK some kind of game
Kai's Photosoap/Photoshop disc and programs

It came with her notes in the books and other documents of items purchased like a 1200 dollar printer that was refunded because it was out of stock. That's an expensive printer!

I was going through the old programs and started reading the folders. I wasn't going to look at any of the stuff on it but I found a BUNCH of personal recipes. They are awesome and yes I will be making some. Then I found some letters and personal documents and the woman who owned this from what I can tell was an 82yr old retired Brevard County school worker who also was very involved in her church. She seems like such a sweet lady. All her letters were so loving and caring.

She took excellent records it seems of everything. Everything seems very organized. I figured her age out by her letters. She said in one from 2008 I believe that she was 82. The computer hasn't been used since July of 2009 from what I can tell. The computer was acquired at an estate sale after Christmas.

The owner's name was Joyce. Just from reading what she had on her computer she seemed to love to cook
which I respect. Anyone who has a folder with their own recipes on their computer is OK by me.

She also seemed to be very involved in her Church and someone who really cared for everyone she came across. There are many letters to what I can assume are kids from her church trying to give them positive advice and guidance. It wasn't anything forceful just showing them that someone cared and believed in them. It was really sweet to read.

It also seems her kids and one of her grandkids had some troubled times and there were many letters to them and information on them that she was documenting for her grandkids. She seems like a very caring woman. I have no idea if she is still alive. I will assume that she has passed since it has been sold and not used since 2009.

I have found many neat things with paperwork of peoples lives. One time I got an ET crochet blanket but in the box was someones military records and banking information from the 80s. There was all kinds of stuff in there. I took it back to the place I got it from and she shredded it.

I have to say reading this stuff today was really sweet. She just seemed like a nice lady. Even objects have history. If only objects could talk.......
we'd all be screwed

Anyway....if you know anything about these and have suggestions that would be great! It runs really well too. Comes right on, makes no noises and if pretty darn clean. She definitely took care of it. I have all the restore discs and original software discs. I'm just getting rid of things and copy others to different folders. I'm going to keep her recipes

So that is one day at the thrift store. Funny thing is I wouldn't have been out that way if I didn't have to take my future mother in law to the dealership next door

I also got a job yesterday

Yes it was a good day

edit on 1/9/2012 by yeahright because: Title to change teal to bondi blue at member's request

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
That imac machine was my first boat anchor was a give away at a garage sale. Lasted for years

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
that rocks mblah.. haha... still have my quadra 800 in led casing along with my apple IIE and its floppy's , yep those were the nice days, no trojans , nor malware , no double click addware , now php script of cloaking scripts, no backlinks embedded within images..ooops im ranting again...anyway it nice to see the stone age once in a while.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Good deal for you my friend!!

I hope you got some really tasty old fashioned recipes ..

make sure you post some pics like you do and let us know what you got..

my grandma was an awesome cook..

really hoping you got some good recipes in there..

good score!!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
that rocks mblah.. haha... still have my quadra 800 in led casing along with my apple IIE and its floppy's , yep those were the nice days, no trojans , nor malware , no double click addware , now php script of cloaking scripts, no backlinks embedded within images..ooops im ranting again...anyway it nice to see the stone age once in a while.

haha nice!

Ahhh the old days lol

Yea she took really good care of it. I like it. I have the first 3 generations of iPhones and the original iPod that was just discontinued. It is the white "clunky" one compared to now lol. All items still work. I like to keep them

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I scored one of these beauties some years ago: en.wikipedia.org...
The first ever apple laptop.
The funny thing is that this beast even had a battery capacity of nearly 10 hours.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Microsoft all the way!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Keep that baby!

That could be your retirement sale in years to come.

Good find sir!

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

I scored one of these beauties some years ago: en.wikipedia.org...
The first ever apple laptop.
The funny thing is that this beast even had a battery capacity of nearly 10 hours.

Wow that is awesome! 10hrs! They don't go that long now!

I want to find one of the Apple iBooks next

I remember vaguely there being printers that matched these iMacs. I found them on ebay years back with them and a few on their own but not lately. So that might be a little hard to find.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Keep that baby!

That could be your retirement sale in years to come.

Good find sir!

Peace

Thanks

Yea I won't be selling it. I always wanted one and even though I had to wait 14yrs I still want it. It's useful and I like Claris Works and know the programs on it
I remember them in school and at the libraries.

Im a girl

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Im a girl

Girl Geeks Rule!

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
You know what would be awesome? To track her relatives and or church down and give them some of the food from the recipes.Could end up being a tall order, but if they turned out to be local that would be the most awesome surprise.

Or just leave a box of her cookies or something with a note saying love from her at their door so they think that they have a grandma ghost that bakes them treats Sorry too much?!?

edit on 10/10/2011 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
These wear the first computers we had with internet at our school in 98. They used to be monsters but now they are just HUGE paper wights. Im sure you can type papers and do some minor internet surfing but you can get a Pentium 4, witch is way faster for $100. But I guess its not about the computer specs, its about a unfulfilled desire. I have a Imac G4 it runs just about the same as the imac G3, gives me loads of head aces but its still a fun toy.

Save it and take care of it, macs are collectibles and rise in value over long periods of time. You might hit a jack pot, you never know.
edit on 8-1-2012 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I bought the same iMac at a yard sale a few years ago. the person who had it before me put osx on it, sweet little machine. There is something very appealing to me with old tech. Is miss the good old days where computers were simple.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reminds me of the time i went to a yardsale a couple years ago and found one of these..
I remember when they came out..loved that game..

wish i still had one....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
You know what would be awesome? To track her relatives and or church down and give them some of the food from the recipes.Could end up being a tall order, but if they turned out to be local that would be the most awesome surprise.

I was actually thinking of doing something like that, maybe making a cookbook of her recipes.

She is local, about 30mins from me

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Awesome find and the fact that it works

Grats on your new job.

ps. good thread reflects why thrift shops/shopping is great.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
awesome find.!! i haven't had any in a while but your find and post was inspirational haha i need to get back out there asap now and the mattel football vid was an awesome throwback to my youth i had one and loved it i bet if i still had it i'd pick that over any game or device i have at the moment.!!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Awesome find and the fact that it works

Grats on your new job.

ps. good thread reflects why thrift shops/shopping is great.

Yea I have only seen one of these out in a thrift store and that was almost 10yrs ago lol. I wish I got it then so this time I couldn't just walk by and it turned right on, no noises or troubles.

Thank you
It was also unexpected.

Yup I find some pretty good items at thrift stores
We have a nice selection where I live. I have not lived anywhere with this many and they are all always so full with things because they get so much in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join