It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lobbyists playing key role in 2012 fundraising - Ron Paul in last (or: Surprise!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I thought this was interesting, make of it what you will. I know people often like to complain about lobbyist influence in Washington.

Washington Post article:

K Street is playing an increasingly central role in the 2012 presidential race, as hundreds of lobbyists representing some of the world’s largest corporations and trade groups pour money into Republican coffers.

The main beneficiary so far is Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and equity-fund executive, who is banking on strong support from the business community to propel his White House bid.

More than 100 registered lobbyists have contributed to Romney, giving nearly $200,000 in direct donations, according to a Washington Post analysis of donor and lobbying records. A team of lobbyist fundraisers has also bundled together nearly $1 million in contributions for Romney’s campaign, disclosure records show.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who entered the race in August, took in at least $72,000 in contributions from 42 lobbyists through September, plus $77,000 bundled by a bank executive. Dozens of Washington lobbyists have also given money to trailing candidates Jon Huntsman Jr., Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, the analysis shows.

Open Secrets has updated numbers through December 5th on their site:

Mitt Romney (R) - - $206,550
Rick Perry (R) - - $166,999
Barack Obama (D) - - $84,459
Tim Pawlenty (R) - - $48,750
Jon Huntsman (R) - - $33,750
Newt Gingrich (R) - - $28,550
John Thune (R) - - $12,493
Rick Santorum (R) - - $11,800
James DeMint (R) - - $3,000
Herman Cain (R) - - $2,500
Michele Bachmann (R) - - $2,500
Thad McCotter (R) - - $1,500
Mike Pence (R) - - $1,000
Ron Paul (R) - - $451

Romney and Perry are certainly finding a friendly reception in the lobbying world, for whatever reason - significantly more so than Obama, which surprises me.

And I'm surprised that Paul's numbers aren't significantly higher as well, given the support he's reportedly getting from the business sector - Top business leaders including Pimco's Bill Gross support Ron Paul:

A growing number of business leaders, including Pimco's Bill Gross are endorsing many of Ron Paul's economic platforms. During the election coverage for the Iowa Caucus's on January 3rd, CNN analyst Erin Burnett reported that strong supporters of fiscal responsibility in the business industry are also strong supporters of Ron Paul's bid for the White House.

"According to Erin Burnett on CNN last night, an astounding number of top business leaders were OK with the idea of a Ron Paul presidency. The only one she quoted by name was Bill Gross of PIMCO, and it doesn't get more Insider than that. She said that while, "of course," he rejected Ron's ideas about the Fed, Gross liked Ron's budget cuts, pro-capitalism, and foreign policy. She was astounded, but Gross, too, wants to bring the troops home. Amazing what a financial crisis can do. BTW, no one else on CNN was interested in discussing this." – Lew Rockwell

Any of our resident experts feel like weighing in on this?
edit on 1/8/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

That's the news for you...if Obama did what he said he would around getting lobbyist out of the Whitehouse at least Mit would not be a conern...but correct me if I'm wrong more lobbyists are on board now than when he was running...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
lol whos the one guy?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Acetradamus

Who do you mean - Paul's donor? hah...no idea.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

That Graph just goes to Prove that Ron Paul is not a Man to be Bought . Surprised ? Ah , No.......

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

People always say 'follow the money' if you want to know how a politician will vote. This is pretty telling.

This is also a good indication as to which of these candidates might actually pass legit campaign finance reform.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
And whats crazy is that... He's STILL on top!

I looked at a poll on Drudge today and RP is #1 there with 37% of the republican votes (those that vist the site). Mit is a far away second at 24%.

Facinating.

Majority voters were republican, also.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Another piece of evidence to add to Ron Paul's UNDISPUTABLE record.

I do wonder who that one lobbyist is who donated though, and why $201?
edit on 8-1-2012 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Lobbyists are planning pals! They're planning!

top topics

join