It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent kids these days, when will they grow up.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Let's not go into that! Poverty has nothing to do with it. There have always been poor people. They were not violent because of it.
I think the problem started a few generations back and is perpetuated by sly, sleazy propaganda, by those with an agenda.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I do think there needs to be a line drawn on how you discipline a child. There needs to be some ground rules in that aspect. But, I do think that the aggression stems from the home. I also believe it's from peer pressure and wanting to fit in with that society group of class. I also think it stems from where they live and the surroundings around them.

That's how my niece picked up on it. School, possibly the father, she only listens to a male figure, possibly her past surrounding, she used to live in a gang area. I won't say not so much TV, but, I will say SIMS and the bad karma that she thinks is funny. So, it is definitely hard to break her out of that aggression.

She ended up punching her past teacher here, so, now she has to go to a school where officers are present. She doesn't like that. But, It's almost like a boot camp, but not really. They just make you wear the same uniform, but when they get out of line, the officers are right there.

I also think, that if we don't break these kids somehow of the violent behavior now, the more violent they will become in the future and we won't be able to help them in the end. It will be too late.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Your title disgusts me. I am 18 years old and have not done anything so stupid and neither have the majority of the "youth". Yet you would like to put the actions of a few to describe the whole? It's not our fault the news only likes to point out the idiots of society instead of the people with a ounce of common sense. I would like to point out that people in their adulthood can still be and are irresponsible at times because some people never grow up and are just downright stupid as these teens.

gimme_some_truth, I agree with everything that you have said.
edit on 8-1-2012 by LetsBringIt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LetsBringIt

Gosh, fine, let me know a good title and I will change it. I just changed it twice. I can't make everyone happy. geez.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Originally posted by Annee
DAMN! They really need to come with an instruction manual.

OMG, they so seriously do. Never thought it would be this much work involved.

My only advice is: "Raise them from the inside out - - to live in their world - - not yours"

In other words - - - everyone is individual. Encourage their strengths - - try to re-direct their "questionable" weaknesses. Questionable? Make sure its not necessarily by society approval.

My mom was raised with racism - - - I never knew it until much later in life. She explained: "it wasn't for you to know - - it was not a part of your world".

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

I am meaning "beating" as in these kids are being beaten at home and NOT in a disciplinary manner. There is a difference between disciplinary and out right abuse. A child of abuse will only in-turn abuse others, i.e. a bully. Bullied at home equals being a bully at school.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

All children like this should be put on Ritalin until they are 18
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

Trust me as the voice of experience, Ritalin just makes them more violent. It's scary what these drugs are doing to our kids.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This story is absolutely disgusting and I wish I had skipped reading it. Do you think the violence among the youth has increased or is it that the news is at our finger tips and we have access to these events on a constant basis. I am 40 years old and while in school NEVER witnessed or even heard of a girl being kicked unconscious by a group of other kids.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Many issues like this stem from the socio-economic plight of rising poverty and dwindling middle class in America, and other places.
With both parents having to work full time, where work can be found, and in many cases in the rising social structure of single parenting, many kids are left largely unattended, running wild, without any parental social adjustment.

Bring back the jobs, and lower costs of living where one parent can work and the other can stay home to mind the kids, and many of these kids might learn some manners.

You do realize that the 1 parent work while 1 parent stays at home is an artificial illusion created ONLY because of the Women's rights movement "Mothers of the Republic" in the mid 1800's to the 1950's(when it fell apart).

They fought for the "right" to be SAHM's. In order to achieve that they used force; both physical violence against women who wanted to work, and intimidation of businesses that employed women. In fact the whole "payin women less because they are women", that existed because of the Mothers of the Republic. It was viewed as a "compromise" to allow some women to continue working.(Prior to, women made less because they produced less as human muscle was still the dominant type of power used in industry)

It is a total system, either everyone participates or it can't exist. Thus such a system as your suggesting can only exist via force.

Because if only 1 family decides to beat the trend and have both parents working for the additional income, it starts a chain reaction that destroys the entire system.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BLKMJK
This story is absolutely disgusting and I wish I had skipped reading it. Do you think the violence among the youth has increased or is it that the news is at our finger tips and we have access to these events on a constant basis. I am 40 years old and while in school NEVER witnessed or even heard of a girl being kicked unconscious by a group of other kids.

But if it happened to a boy you wouldn't be concerned?

The gendered outlook, and sheer level of preference older people give to gal's is going to be the death of the USA and why the 40+ crowd needs to be removed from the general population.

By your own admission you are in a sense advocating that the abuse of boy's is "ok". Or rather you would rather hear about the abuse of boy's over hearing about the abuse of girl's. Either way it doesn't matter.

Abuse of, or violence towards Children, is unacceptable regardless of gender. Frankly spoken, you need to do some deep self reflection on the biased nature of your perception of things.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I've never been one to buy into the "violent media" scapegoating regarding music, movies and games but after reading "On Killing" by Grossman I've opened up a bit to the possible influences mass exposure to violent media can have on a society at large.

He goes back to military training and mans seemingly innate blocks to harming others illustrated by less than 20% of infantry being willing to fire on an enemy even to save their own lives and looks at how factors like relative distance to target and military desensitization training have rocketed that number up to 80% being willing to pull the trigger.

He compares the pervasiveness of violent media to the military training and concludes that if our goal was to raise a hyper-violent and amoral yet obedient generation there really isn't any better way.

Grossman is an instructor at West Point if I remember correctly so his work isn't some anti-video game or anti-violence tirade. If anything it's supportive of turning the US into New Sparta. Which makes the book all the more frightening.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
"bring him to military school, we Spartans have our own way of teaching kids honor and respect"

I agree with military schools. Military schools are valuable places where kids can get the discipline and personal attention they need to turn their lives around. If your son or daughter is struggling with emotional and behavioral issues, military school is the perfect option. They can provide structure and guidance in a kid's life, as well as prepare your child for life in the military.
edit on 6-4-2012 by JaimeHill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Lets be honest here. This is a trend that isn't going to change and will continue to get worse, until some of these kids are MURDERED when they try to attack the wrong person, because it's beyond obvious that jail isn't a deterrent. That's tragic and sort of uncomfortable to say solely because it makes me look happy about that reality, which I most certainly am not. The damage that has been done here cannot be undone. The lack of parental guidance of any kind has destroyed the minds of too many youth. They have absolutely zero sense of control, or boundaries, of empathy because they have little to no sense of basic reality of humanity. These are kids who are completely living in delusion and are totally mentally warped, based on TV and social media, based on the constant negativity on the news, among other things. They're also angry which is why they go out of their way to attack and lash out at innocent people and society as a whole------it's a cry for help. This has been studied a lot and what goes on are people who commit these acts look for those who they consider weak and vulnerable and project their emotional issues onto them. It's also why these people never attack alone, because ultimately for them it's all about building themselves up (and in this case they build their esteem with their stupid friends by proving how "macho" they are by acting like a animal) by tearing others down. Some of the other kids who attack are just insecure followers. ALL of it is about insecurity at the end of the day. Which could all be changed, if these kids had something to do with themselves. That's how this changes. Give these kids something to do after school. Enroll them in after school programs. Have them play on sports teams. These kids are roaming the streets at night during SCHOOL nights. If there were any sort of parental figure in these kids' lives, that wouldn't be happening.

The one and only thing I agree with the extreme social conservatives on is that the family unit in our country has crumbled and we're seeing the effects with our children. It's very sad.
edit on 6-4-2012 by crazydaysandnights because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Also two things I have to say, before I forget. #1 is that kids that see violence as they develop and grow up tend to be more likely to be abusive towards others. A kid that is developed within a culture where violence is the norm, where violence is committed without any sort of punishment nor care from anyone (including the police and outside world at large) and where there is little to nothing positive to balance this out, will be more likely to turn out violent themselves because it's all they really see and understand. These kids HAVE SEEN their own family members get away with violence, so why wouldn't they do it? Kids lack self-control and the decision making ability of adults so of course if you give them an inch, they will take a mile. Violent video games some say are a problem, it can become an issue if a child's brain basically is controlled by the video game and they are completely disconnected to reality, which happens. But the reality is this is a cultural issue. Not racial, which a lot of people like to turn the argument towards. Not gender.

#2, as has been stated, the socioeconomic realities of this cultural issue are obvious. Let's be blunt, the attackers are usually poor, urban kids, and/or suburban kids who think it's cool to act the way they think poor, urban kids behave. I'm quite young so I know this is how these people think. You have violent feral youth who have been POISONED mentally to hate society as a result of their lower-class status and then you have your stupid kids who think it's cool to use the n-word, dress in baggy jeans and act like their "hood", or act like complete douchebags because they think it's funny. It's tragic the lack of standards and lack of any sort of goals these kids have for themselves. There is no sense of pride with them at all. Which again comes down to the lack of parenting. It's all about the parenting, people. With a separation rate well above 50%, and in a country where 40% of fathers have NO INTERACTION with their children (and well over 50% in certain subgroups), no-one should be that surprised.

The very poor education numbers are also to blame, since kids in this country don't actually want to better themselves in school. They don't want to be educated. They're too spoiled and too unwilling to do things they don't want to do. They need an a**kicking, quite frankly. Which would be given if parents were more involved with their children, and they're not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join