It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealth has some serious short comings.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Stealth is obviously good at reducing the area radar can reflect back to the source from but if the craft can still be detected anyway whats the point?
It makes me wonder why no other country has seriously tried producing stealth craft,isnt it cheaper to just produce very powerful radar systems that can detect the likes of B2 and f-117?

www.motherjones.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Has it? Or do you have unrealistic expectations of modern technology? Stealth isn't infallible, I've argued the point myself on here many times, but it is certainly well worth the effort for the edge it gives you. Other countries haven't tried it to the same extent as the USA because their defence budgets would be vapourised by the effort, not because it doesn't work.

Smaller scale 'stealth' work has and does go on in other countries ie Typhoon and even Tornado have benefitted to varying degrees.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Wow

That was quite a read.

Setting aside the the cost issue I wonder if part of the reasoning behind the whole stealth push is not nessecarily the enhanced offensive capability but the fact that if the aircraft is harder to target. It is a better Defense.

May be that statement is not clear enough . Is the over riding goal to protect the PILOT? All military personnel would would fight to reclaim and injuried comrade or even a fallen comrade. Is the expense and effort primarily to put less (wo)men at risk and to provide the ones at risk a better chance?

Dead steve

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEADSTEVE
Wow

That was quite a read.

Setting aside the the cost issue I wonder if part of the reasoning behind the whole stealth push is not nessecarily the enhanced offensive capability but the fact that if the aircraft is harder to target. It is a better Defense.

May be that statement is not clear enough . Is the over riding goal to protect the PILOT? All military personnel would would fight to reclaim and injuried comrade or even a fallen comrade. Is the expense and effort primarily to put less (wo)men at risk and to provide the ones at risk a better chance?

Dead steve

No no no. It's not the pilot that needs protecting - IT'S THE PLANE! To train a pilot might cost a million or so dollars, but the plane it's self is worth tens of millions at least (in the case of a B-2, even billions).

The point of stealth is to reduce detection by the enemy. This gives you better situational awareness (you see him, but he can't see you), better survivability (you can't shoot what you can't see), the ability to covertly carry out missions (pre-emptive nuke strike ala B-2) ect ect ect.

It is well worth it, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just because stealth may not make you completely invisible doesn't mean its worthless, It gives you the ability of surprise and first kill capabilities and it increases you chances of survival in heavily defended air space. So to say its worthless its BS, Is well worth it and very useful.

new topics

top topics

join