It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please tell me this is just the moon??!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by football6

Really? You took offense by someone pointing out that you did a stupid and very dangerous thing?

Seriously, I could not care less if you drove of the road, hit a tree, crashed and killed yourself because you were focusing on taking pictures of the moon while driving a car, on the highway no less.
But what if you were to hit another car with kids in it, forcing that car of the road and into a tree?
Think human, think.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
football6 --

Can you give a more exact idea of the location you were when you took these photos? I'm trying to reconcile all the information you gave about your location with the photos you provided, but I'm a bit confused.

You showed an image taken from I-71 going north (the one that shows three signs -- a sign indicating you were on I-71 north, a sign for "Exit 101, I-270 Dayton-Wheeling", and a sign for "Exit 100, Stringtown Road-Grove City").

You went on to say that the images were taken looking south on I-270 Dayton, but I can't figure out at what point you would have been headed south on I-270 near that group of signs I mentioned above...

...I realize that the picture of those three signs were taken on I-71 heading North, but I'm assuming you exited onto I-270, THEN took the pictures? Or perhaps you are mistaken about being on I-270, or mistaken about heading south?

Can you please pinpoint your location and direction when you took the photos showing the object, maybe on a map?

EDIT TO ADD

OK. I see by this post that you say you were headed North, not south... Thanks:

Originally posted by football6

But the sun was behind me? Just do a search of where the sun was in position with me heading towards Columbus, OH which I believe is North, the Sun was setting to the south, wait look at this picture, and look behind my first and second finger?

files.abovetopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
edit on 8-1-2012 by football6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/9/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think you saw the rising (almost full) Moon.

As per my post above, I now understand you were headed on I-71 towards Columbus. From the looks of your photos, you were on I-71 Northbound (not I-270, by the way).

I think you were headed on I-71 northbound because the pictures you provided showing the Sunoco gas station up to the photo of the three signs (sign 1: "I-71 North, sign 2: I-270 Dayton-Wheeling, and sign 3: Stringtown Road, Grove City) match the street view of photos taken on I-71 Northbound between Harrisburg Pike and Stringtown road, specifically the area a mile or two before exit 97 -- London Groveport Road.

If that is the case (and it seems it is), then you were headed a few degrees North of East (but mostly east). At that point. I-71 is more easterly than northerly. Therefore, you most likely saw the almost-full moon, which happened to be rising in that exact same direction (just a few degrees North of East) at around that time (around 5:30 pm).

edit on 1/9/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Hmm I have seen many UFO's

GIANT balls of fire falling from space and crashing into the sea, and I mean MASSIVE, but falling too slowly to be a meteor or comet, almost as if it was carefully landing.

Flaming objects flying behind stars.

On 2 occasions I've seen GIANT black triangles darting across the sky making erratic turns, disappearing and reappearing and telephoning.

I have also seen Giant glowing orbs with smaller ones orbiting them like planets and then shoot away at the speed of light on multiple occasions, and orbs flying in triangle formations.

I just didn't happen to have a camera with me, and didn't think to go run and look for one, I just watched in awe. Not to mention they were only there for a moments time.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by wmd_2008

When did this thread turn into a pissing match about driving and the things people do on the road? OP, seriously just ignore them -- regardless of their point -- the thread is about what you saw, not how you captured it.

WMD -- I have my personal views on such activities but that isn't the purpose of the OPs thread. Instead you decided that you must present your opinion, in a highly combative and holier-than-thou attitude; so my guess is your hands are always at 10 and 2 (or whatever variation of practiced safe driving habits you choose) and you never while operating an automobile:

Talk to other people
Eat a french fry
Quiet children
Brain fart
Change the radio station
Drop something at your feet and momentarily try to reach for it
Take your eyes off the road for more than 2-5 seconds
Glance out your window
etc...

Discuss the point and subject of the thread in my opinion.

No pissing match friend, we are simply calling the OP an idiot for putting the lives of many people including himself on the line for some really poorly taken pictures that barely show anything.

You might not have a problem with that, but if we happen to get the OP to understand that what he did was stupid and he didn't do it again I don't mind derailing his already worthless topic.

I've done stupid things before too, and when people pointed out how stupid of a thing I did I stopped doing it. Maybe OP is like you and doesn't realize or care what he did was stupid. I feel that ignoring it would be condoning it and I am sorry I personally have 2 children and a wife I care deeply about and would be pretty pissed off if they died in a car accident so some dude could take bad pictures of the moon rising and call it a UFO.

Not like this thread was going anywhere anyway might as well make it a public announcement instead.

Mod away moderators =)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Yes, exactly what happened. It just looked so big and close up( can't tell by the camera phone), and then it transitioned across the sky, turning a bright yellow in the process. Caught me off guard.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

Yes, of course. I would say from 5:00 pm until 5:30 pm( estimates ) I was following the object. I took pictures at different points, sometimes the view was blocked because of trees on either side.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I even have two pictures depicting lens flares. Some other OP might have put those on here to show UFO's, but rest assured, outside of the moon object in the sky, there was nothing of significance to be seen.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

When did this thread turn into a pissing match about driving and the things people do on the road? OP, seriously just ignore them -- regardless of their point -- the thread is about what you saw, not how you captured it.

WMD -- I have my personal views on such activities but that isn't the purpose of the OPs thread. Instead you decided that you must present your opinion, in a highly combative and holier-than-thou attitude; so my guess is your hands are always at 10 and 2 (or whatever variation of practiced safe driving habits you choose) and you never while operating an automobile:

Talk to other people
Eat a french fry
Quiet children
Brain fart
Change the radio station
Drop something at your feet and momentarily try to reach for it
Take your eyes off the road for more than 2-5 seconds
Glance out your window
etc...

Discuss the point and subject of the thread in my opinion.

You know what I hope someone like this crosses your path at some point may be then you wont be so forgiving if you or a member of your family are injured or worse killed by someone a STUPID AS THIS!

At somepoint during his life he must have seen the moon behind clouds
or does he never open his eyes unless he looking at a camera/phone while driving.

If it was something spectacular wouldn't other drivers to be stopping to look

The trouble on here people get to OBSESSED with ufo's/alien that they dont think logically!!!

Oh and since I have to drive anything between 30-50,000 miles a year due to my job yes I am pretty careful when I am driving after all I have to watch out for idiots like the OP.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Even if I had caused a wreck, they are common. People die everyday. If it would have happened, who cares? All of you are aware of the events going around today, if anything I would do those people a favor. Probably do myself a favor. Who here really likes the world they live in? Who here knows a lot of people that like the world today. Think about it. On a scale, me wrecking 15 cars and killing 50 people would be less death than the amount of death that occurs every minute worldwide.
edit on 10-1-2012 by football6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I will not allow anyone else the pleasure of cracking it now. WHO THE @#$% ARE YOU?!

How can u sit there and type that garbage? You are a total waste of space, i read your thread i took into account that you phone photos were a hasted attempt and certainly not the best idea. But for you to go and say that crap... find yourself a short rope and a tall tree mate your usefulness has run its course.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Aarcadius

You're not any the wiser suggesting he find a rope.

Now

This looks of the usual to me, remember it is a full moon, this might explain the difference, also take into consideration that (judging by the sky light) both the sun and moon are out, which is most likely the explanation to the eeriness in colour.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by football6

Even if I had caused a wreck, they are common. People die everyday. If it would have happened, who cares? All of you are aware of the events going around today, if anything I would do those people a favor. Probably do myself a favor. Who here really likes the world they live in? Who here knows a lot of people that like the world today. Think about it. On a scale, me wrecking 15 cars and killing 50 people would be less death than the amount of death that occurs every minute worldwide.
edit on 10-1-2012 by football6 because: (no reason given)

Well mate sucks to be you it seems I have a GREAT family,GOOD job, very NICE house, no real money worries so I have a lot to live for but lets be honest unless you walk about in a constant daze you must have seen the moon behind clouds at some point in your life before that day

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mentalistbee
reply to post by Aarcadius

You're not any the wiser suggesting he find a rope.

Now

This looks of the usual to me, remember it is a full moon, this might explain the difference, also take into consideration that (judging by the sky light) both the sun and moon are out, which is most likely the explanation to the eeriness in colour.

Correct I dont think the OP could find a rope we should buy him one!
If he cannot recognise the moon behind a cloud what hope does he have!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChimeraLOL
reply to post by Vandalour

Hmm I have seen many UFO's

GIANT balls of fire falling from space and crashing into the sea, and I mean MASSIVE, but falling too slowly to be a meteor or comet, almost as if it was carefully landing.

What is too slow for a meteor?

I have seen meteors that appeared to stand still and not move at all, or very little.

If you stood on a very long and straight section of railway track, and a train was coming directly towards you at high speed, would it appear to move, or would it just get bigger till it was on top of you?

Just like trains, if you view them from the side, then you can get a bit better idea of how fast they are moving, but a meteor that heads towards you will just look like a stationary point of light that brightens and dims.

That's why they are called point meteors.

A point meteor is a meteor travelling directly towards the observer and
thus having no perceptible motion across the sky. By definition a point
meteor is seen at its apparent radiant.

Robert H. McNaught
[email protected]

Source: METEOROBS (The Meteor Observing mailing list)

In the same way, a meteor heading more or less, but not directly towards you would only appear to move very slowly..

And yes, they can also be "massive". In some cases, like one over South Africa a few years back, big fireballs can be as bright as the sun, or brighter in exceptional cases.

Note that the same meteor appears to move slower in the first clip, which was taken from a different location. ie perspective plays a large part in how quickly or slowly it appears to move.

A bit more cool footage of same meteor...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

That may be true but even point meteors last only a few seconds at most as they are traveling at thousands of miles an hour and only show due to friction with the atmaosphere.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Not quite true. Some meteors can last tens of seconds. The Great (Jakson) Lakes fireball of 1972 for example, lasted around a minute (perhaps more) as I recall.

It can take larger meteoroids/asteroids a while to slow down.

Having said that, a point meteor is basically the exact opposite of a meteor like the Great Lakes fireball - a point meteor is nearly always, by definition plunging into the atmosphere at a steep angle (The Great Lakes fireball was grazing the edge of the atmosphere ie had a very shallow angle), so yes, most point meteors would only last a few seconds usually.

But I digress, ChimeraLOL did not say how long it lasted, and what he saw was not a point meteor, although it was probably traveling at least a bit towards him. I was only using point meteors as an example of how a meteor can play tricks on the eyes due to perspective. It was an extreme example.

I'm not quite sure what the point you were trying to make was anyway?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Well, according to the OP's images, it looks as if he was driving on I-71N between Exit 94 and Exit 97.

You can't really read the road sign too well (photo is blurry) but it matches the google street view of the sign that says "Exit 97, London Groveport Road, 2 miles", and the picture of the Sunoco Station matches the one on Google Streetview at exit 94.

At that point, I-71 Northbound actually heads more Easterly than Northerly -- it's a few degrees North of East. At the same time he took his photo (roughly 5:20 PM on January 8) the almost full-moon was rising in almost that exact same direction (a little North of East).

Considering this, and considering the OP himself thinks it may have been the Moon, I'm going to say it may have been the Moon that he saw

edit on 1/11/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I saw the day-old full moon in the morning at sunrise quite high still in the sky going to work in Columbus Ohio. The night before I noticed the moon still quite high in the sky 3 hours after it was 100% full one hour before sunrise but my view was obscured to see the horizons when the sun was supposed to rise at 7:58 a.m.

Since the morning of the 9th was only a 98% full moon, it was still a wonderful sight to behold when it was light outside, (I was entering work kind of late for me, just before 8 a.m.), sunrise the 9th was at 7:54 a.m., the moon was an hour before setting.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join