It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil War in Israel? (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Not a civil war amongst Palestinians (especially when Arafat eventually dies) that everybody sort of expects, but a war amongst Israelis?

www.cbc.ca
Jewish settlers vowing to resist the planned evacuation of their West Bank and Gaza Strip settlements are warning of a potential "civil war."

"Two things could happen if this program goes ahead without being brought to democratic elections in Israel," Eliezer Hasdai, head of a regional settlement council, told Israel Radio. ... "The first is a mass refusal [to evacuate] among soldiers and officers in the army," he said. "The other is definitely a type of civil war."

"I am worried about a civil war, and am warning that the comments we have heard in recent days will have very serious consequences," Justice Minister Yosef (Tommy) Lapid said Friday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder if the situation will actually get to this point. I can't help but think that Sharon has some ulterior motive for pursuing this policy and will never see it through.

The "settlers" are the hard-core right wingers of Israeli society who do not seem to understand that they are not settling un-occupied lands when stealing property and livelyhoods from other people.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It is a sad situation to say the least.

Unfortunately, there is no way it would escalate to a civil war. It would be a larger version of Waco.

While I tend to not see the Palestinians as innocent victims, I also cannot see into the motives of Sharon. Moshe' Dyan, upon seizing Jerusalem in 1967, would not allow orthodox Jews to occupy the Temple Mount. He saw a larger issue looming. But I am reminded of the times that Israel fought for it's very survival....1928, 1956, 1967, 1973. Ironic, that without the infusion of Cold War muscle, the arab states have remained at bay.

But once the West Bank is surrendered, there could be another attempt, and the possibility of nuclear conflagration in the Middle East becomes an alarming scenerio on the horizon.

The Spider

new topics

join