It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Animal Sickness? Please read!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

well it would pose another possible question is your dog fixed. Mine is not.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Have you considered that the dog flu vaccine is contaminated - I know Human vaccines are laced with genetically altering substance - Check out the ingrediants - There are many studies and reports that show what I speak of

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by zeeon

OK more pieces to the puzzle. You mention farmland. Was your dog screened for amebic parasites? The reason I ask, I lost several dogs, and almost myself, due to amebic dysentery we all caught from a coatimundi I was taking care of.

There could have been an outbreak on a nearby farm. Then spread through wind, birds, water though out the neighborhood..

The symptoms you mentioned seemed familiar. Just running things through the thinking cap here.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Honestly, I don't think he has been screened for any type of parasites. Just the normal vac's a dog should have at his age. I wouldn't even know how to go about finding out if there was any kind of outbreak on local farm land. I do know that it's mostly cow country up here - with some agriculture but mostly cattle.

My dog is for the most part an inside dog and doesn't have much interaction with anything that has a small possibility of giving something like that to him.

link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut
reply to post by zeeon

well it would pose another possible question is your dog fixed. Mine is not.

Mine was not fixed at the time either. The vet threw in free neutering because we spent so much money to save his life. Upwards of 3500 bucks in total for the surgeries and everything else. It was worth it, Codex (my dogs name) is worth it - he's part of the family!

link   
reply to post by zeeon

The most common culprit of microscopic parasite around cattle is giardia....bad stuff...Comes from feces of infected cattle. Carried most commonly in ground water. And dried feces airborne.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by openeyeswideshut

Well, our's is an inside dog too. But he does spend time out in the back yard to run around and etc. If something was in the air (like a virus, or parasite) I'm sure he could have contracted it that way. All of the dogs in the area are inside dogs because we live on a military base, and they require it to be that way as a condition of living on base.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

to me it sounds like it could be some kind of parasitical Life form that was in the dog.
Sometimes parasites can be very hard to find and a proper diagnosis of the problem may not ever be found.
It happens to humans all the time, and they spend months or years trying to find out what their ill health is about, Later turns out they picked up a parasite from infected water or food, usually abroad.
Hope this helps
~CD.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
My mother's dog - based in Scotland - had similar issue.

Nearly died.

Vet blamed contaminated water - a virus of unknown origin...

With respect to diet - I feed my dogs raw/BARF (bones and raw food).

Would never feed commercial diets which are grain based. Wouldnt feed acidic canned meats which are superheated removing the enzyme content.

I believe BARF (biologically appropriate raw foods) are best for dogs' immune systems.

When did you ever see a dog in the wild cook its own dinner?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well then, it's probably nothing you have fed. You give about the same treats I do, other than some I make.

My little dog got reallly sick about a month ago, and I couldn't get it under control. Finally took her to the emerg-pet because it was on the weekend. *Always on the weekend, grrr*. Anyway, some strong pills stopped it, and the cultures didn't show anything.

BUT I see what my four-legged daughters roll around in, and they will sample most any smelly thing.
I'm surprised they don't get sick more often than they do. Dogs.

Hopefully it was just some transient thing. Yep. Until the next time. lol.

Oh, TRG: I definitely will look into Ellen's pet food. I feel sure that's trustworthy. Thanks for the tip.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by selfharmonise

I have a seventeen year old dog who has eaten Pedigree pet food her entire life. They must be doing something right.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Corrupted Data

Do you think its a possibility that this could happen at the same time over 2000 miles away?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by openeyeswideshut

I imagine it is possible, similar parasites usually thrive in similar conditions, are the others "2000 miles away" in the same Latitude/Longitude?
I wouldn't rule out a parasitical infection, as obviously vets are professionals for a reason, they have the experience and should be able to identify the source of the problem.
If it were some bizarre virus, or whatever else you may think, then you have to ask yourself, why isn't it affected you, your family, or more than just a handfull of dogs?
based on the information presented, I would put my money on a parasite being the source of the problem, (albeit probably an very poorly known one)
If the vets are clueless, then it really backs this up.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

He was up to date on all his vaccinations, and is generally a young, healthy dog. He was only a year old at the time, so we was healthy and strong.

Stop vaccinating puppies people. Dogs who see a lot of Vets also see a shorter lifespan in my experience. My pets don't get vaccinations and they seem to live well beyond the average dog or cat, age 24 for my cats and 21 for my dog, non vaccinated.

Also you do always have to check what goodness China is selling to us, because profits always come before life...

Chinese Fluroide...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

It still hasnt been solved. I love animals too, I cried and cried. It only got the dogs, the cats were all fine. We had a chicken too she used to hang out around the dogs she was fine too. The chicken was so cute she used to follow us around she even "adopted" one of the dogs an old german shepherd named sarge they were always hanging out till sarge passed away.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sounds like Parvo since other animals in your area had the same symptoms. Coyotes in this area can carry it. It stays in the ground so other dogs not UTD on shots can get it later on. Certain breeds of dogs need to have SEVERAL parvo shots a year. My rotty pups had to have the shot every two weeks until 6 months old and then once a month up to a year old, due to the breed being very susceptible to parvo. A wormy animal who is UTD on shots can have a low immune system and come down with parvo. Important reason to worm your animals on a regular schedule.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

In this area if dogs are not UTD on parvo shots. They WILL contract parvo. Its in the ground, the coyotes carry it. One in 100 may have a natural immune system to it but for the majority of the dogs this is not true.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kllyblvn
Sounds like Parvo since other animals in your area had the same symptoms. Coyotes in this area can carry it. It stays in the ground so other dogs not UTD on shots can get it later on. Certain breeds of dogs need to have SEVERAL parvo shots a year. My rotty pups had to have the shot every two weeks until 6 months old and then once a month up to a year old, due to the breed being very susceptible to parvo. A wormy animal who is UTD on shots can have a low immune system and come down with parvo. Important reason to worm your animals on a regular schedule.

That does not mean there are not contaminates in the vaccines - Also I would not believe all that is said at face value

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The so called "Rawhide" chews are not the best thing for your dog either.

And even though they mightn't originate from China ,they are basically waste materials from the meat packing industry often times from Brazil and have very little regard as to their target market or industry and namely your pet.

Additionally they can break into pieces sometimes sharp which can be ingested causing damage and or blockage to the intestinal tract.

The same goes for tennis balls the yarn can also be ingested also leading to blockage and a very sick or even dying dog if the blockage is not surgically removed.

I would recommend a marrow/soup bone from your butcher instead. They are inexpensive and are actually good for the dog's teeth and jaw muscles.

And are too large to swallow.

Do not leave the bone with the dog...only provide it during chew sessions.

Whole carrots work well too..and are also very healthy for your dog as well....

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Very sorry to hear about your pet and hope it fully recovers.

Without some clinical tests, not sure what may have been the real issue, however because of the severe weather (specifically drought) in corn producing areas of the country, there is a toxin on corn (aflotoxin, which by the way is ubiquitous but heighten in drought conditions) and when this corn is used to produce feed for dogs ultimately poisons them and many die and Vets, without knowing specifically what to look for, this goes undetected as a differential diagnosis.

Here is some additional google related info. Hope it helps:

Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring toxic chemical by-product from the growth of the fungus Aspergillus flavus on corn and other crops. The fungus develops on crops during years with severe high temperature stress and drought. Mark Brinkmann, chief operations officer for Diamond Pet Foods, said of the contamination: "Unfortunately, it got through with a shipment of corn from one of our vendors."

This chemical is a potent toxin that attacks the liver. Symptoms of aflatoxin-caused liver damage can take weeks to appear, so owners of dogs that had eaten any of the contaminated products were encouraged to have their dogs tested. According to Karyn Bischoff, Diagnostic Toxicologist at the Animal Health Diagnostic Center of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University, "Aflatoxin binds to DNA and proteins within cells, and it may take some time for the damage to become apparent in a dog ingesting the toxin. However, 90% of the aflatoxin is eliminated in the urine within 12 hours."

Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning in dogs include: loss of appetite; yellow whites of the eyes; yellow gums; yellow in the belly or areas where hair is very thin; severe, persistent vomiting combined with bloody diarrhea; discolored urine; fever. Dog owners were told if their pets had ingested the recalled products and were exhibiting these symptoms, to: get their animals to the veterinarian for treatment, being sure to explain they suspected aflatoxin poisoning and why, urge their veterinarians to run liver profiles on their animals, and ask their vets to contact Diamond Pet Foods toll free at 1-866-214-6945.

edit on Sun Mar 18 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

Mushrooms

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join