It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Indonesian Volcanoes on Alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency has warned that seven volcanoes located across the archipelago are on alert statuses. The agency said it has prepared measures for the worst-case scenarios and officials met on Saturday to discuss the measures, said agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugrowo. The seven volcanoes are Papandayan Mountain in West Java, Karangetang and Lokon in North Sulawesi, Ijen in East Java, Gamalama in North Maluku, Anak Krakatau in Lampung and Lewotolo in East Nusa Tenggara.
Jakarta Globe

I don't know how usual this is, but feels pretty widespread activity there currently
edit on 8-1-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I wonder what their "worst case scenario" is?
Are we talking standard evacuations or are we talking people being burned by lava in the streets before they have time to react?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
the real question is whether these 7 volcanos erupting all at once or nearly all could act as a serious threat. sort of like a ghetto rigged super volcano.

its not fear mongering to discuss whether there is a threat. its fear mongering to make it seem like it is without facts

i honestly know nothing about volcano's so i dont have much to add. just felt its a necessary question to ask

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

Indonesia is the 4th most populated country in the world. If seven volcanoes erupt at once (or at all), it won't be pretty either way considering they will all be trapped on an island.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Oh my, this is scary indeed, seems that 2012 prophecy isn't so crazy after all...I wonder if this is the only place seeing increased volcanic activity.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This link adds a bit more to the story,

www.bernama.com...

I never knew Indonesia had 127 volcanoes.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by destinedkid17
Oh my, this is scary indeed, seems that 2012 prophecy isn't so crazy after all...I wonder if this is the only place seeing increased volcanic activity.

Or that They are making "prophecy" come "true" with HAARP and similar technology...

Just sayin'.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Latest information from RSOE on each Volcanic Event suggests they are not erupting or ready to erupt simultaneously.

SOURCE 1:

Officials say fast-moving mudflows streaming from the mouth of a volcano in eastern Indonesia have killed four villagers. About 1,000 others have fled their homes. Mount Gamalama, located in the Molucca Islands, sprang back to life this month with a powerful, non-fatal eruption.

SOURCE 2:

On January 2, the country's Volcanology and Geology Disaster Mitigation Center (PVMBG) raised the alert level at the volcano to level 3. The center uses a warning system with four levels of alerts, with level 1 being the lowest and level 4 being the highest.

SOURCE 3:

“We have to anticipate a possible eruption, although we don’t know whether it will erupt or not,” Sutopo added. Three villages located near Mt. Ijen — Kali Anyar, Kali Gedang and Sumberejo — would be at the most serious risk if the volcano erupts, the BNPB said. “Local residents are prohibited visiting locations within a radius of 1.5 kilometers from Ijen’s crater, which stores 30 million cubic meters of water with an acidity level far more dangerous than accu water. People should not panic while remaining alert,”

Although simultaneous eruption could have a "Super Volcano" effect, I personally don't see that scenario here, considering the distances between the volcano's. We should note though, that according to the RSOE Map, there are several other volcano's worldwide erupting at this time. I'm not suggesting ANY connections between any of them, just noting.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well, if it is a choice between WW3 or volcanoes erupting, I think I would rather go with the volcano scenario. At least they don't cause radiation although a nuclear winter from all the ash in the atmosphere is probably a reality.

Not to mention one of the names listed should strike fear into the heart. Child of Krakatoa, like a corny horror movie, but then for real...

reply to post by Jack3182

If I remember rightly it is one of the most vulcanically active place on earth. Even Californians would stand in awe.

edit on 8/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Added a reply to previous poster

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I hope this doesn't lead to more tectonic activity in the Pacific.

Japan has been getting a steady stream of 5's, they don't need anything higher.

Then of course there is the people of Indonesia as another member mentioned. A lot of people die over there due to volcanoes. Kind of a scary area to live in. They got earth quakes, tsunamis, volcanoes...did I forget anything else?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Man, can you imagine melting from the feet up in lava!! Like that guy in the movie "Core" and "Volcano"......That has got to be one heck of a bad way to go!! Hope nothing comes of it.

edit on 8/1/2012 by PROT3CTOR because: spelling

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

The dinosaurs might not agree with you....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Ouch, the thought of a chain reaction of 7 volcanoes going off simultaneously or within days of each other would not be a good thing.

Let's hope the scientists' speculations are correct in there being little chance of such a thing happening.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency has warned that seven volcanoes located across the archipelago are on alert statuses. The agency said it has prepared measures for the worst-case scenarios and officials met on Saturday to discuss the measures, said agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugrowo. The seven volcanoes are Papandayan Mountain in West Java, Karangetang and Lokon in North Sulawesi, Ijen in East Java, Gamalama in North Maluku, Anak Krakatau in Lampung and Lewotolo in East Nusa Tenggara.
Jakarta Globe

I don't know how usual this is, but feels pretty widespread activity there currently

There is widespread activity there currently. Indonesia does lie on an active region of the Pacific Ring of Fire. But I don't think having 7 volcanoes on an alert level is anything unusual. Take for example, this article from last year.

18 Indonesian volcanoes on alert status
Eighteen Indonesian volcanoes are on “alert” status, two of which are at Alert Level 3, which is called “Siaga”, the Volcanology and Geology Disaster Mitigation Center says.
Center head Surono said Sunday in Jakarta the erupting Mount Lokon in North Sulawesi and Mount Ibu in North Maluku were the two volcanoes at Siaga status.
The center has adopted four levels of alert status: “Normal” (Level 1), “Waspada” (Level 2), “Siaga” (Level 3) and “Awas” (Level 4).
18 Indonesian volcanoes on alert status

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by destinedkid17

If you had done a fair bit of research on volcanoes, you would realise that the current scenario isn't all that scary (at least, compared to the usual 'scary'). And it definitely doesn't give any credence to any "2012 prophecy". You would also realise that seven volcanoes on alert does not mean there has been an increase in volcanic activity. It would pay to do a bit of research before jumping to conclusions.

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
Not to mention one of the names listed should strike fear into the heart. Child of Krakatoa, like a corny horror movie, but then for real...
You are probably aware already, but others should probably know to avoid any unnecessary panic. Anak Krakatau has been in a near constant state of eruption since volcanic activity was first observed in 1927 in the caldera left by the catastrophic Krakatoa eruption. Having Anak Krakatau on an alert level does not mean a Krakatoa style eruption is imminent, but future volcanic activity (particularly strombolian activity) is highly likely.

In saying that, there is always a threat because of this volcanic activity. Tsunami remains a risk due to Anak Krakatau, although probably not of the scale of the Japan and Boxing Day tsunamis. Underwater landslides have cause localised 2m tsunami in the past, so this is a very real threat for the people in the area.

edit on 8/1/12 by Curious and Concerned because: add reply to LightSpeedDriver

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Related - My thread from March 21, 2010:

UPI: Seventeen Indonesia volcanoes on alert
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Although this sounds bad, as some have noted Indonesia is the most geologically active country going. As a Brit (and therefore used to things as nasty as rain!) i personally would be too nervous to live there

However, 7 volcanoes on alert is neither a lot nor unusual for Indonesia. At one point in 2011, they had 23 volcanoes on alert!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Anyone know what is happening Tonga/Santa Cruz/Kermadec Islands region? There are multiple earthquakes. Yesterday there was series of quakes around Java and New Guinea. Next ones hit New Zealand?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Anyone know what is happening Tonga/Santa Cruz/Kermadec Islands region? There are multiple earthquakes.

I think you just answered your own question.

Yesterday there was series of quakes around Java and New Guinea. Next ones hit New Zealand?

That is entirely possible. We do get our fair share of quakes here in NZ. Geonet is a good source for following NZ quakes. At the moment there is just the usual activity. Continuing aftershocks in the Christchurch area along with a few quakes in the North Island. Nothing too unusual. We are on the same Pacific Ring of Fire as Indonesia and the Solomon Islands, so we inherit the same risk of earthquakes and volcanoes.

new topics

top topics

join