It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sensitive" Items Missing From US Military Base in Washington-Base on Lockdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The United States army is investigating the disappearance of "sensitive" equipment at a joint army and air force base in Washington state. The New Tribune of Tacoma said on its website on Sunday that a 100-member infantry company has been locked down at Joint Base Lewis McChord while the investigation is carried out. Matt Hinkle, the base spokesman, said the company under investigation is from the 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. Major Chris Ophardt, spokesman for 1 Corps, said the missing items are weapons accessories and not weapons. Laser sights were cited as an example. Ophardt said the lockdown started on Wednesday and will continue until the probe is over. Meanwhile, the company is restricted to barracks and dining areas but families can visit. A $10,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the equipment's return.

So this must be domestic terrorist that are in the military taking these items. I wonder if the "sensitive" materials taken were just "accessories" like the military said
I wouldnt think that laser sites are THAT sensitive! Anyhow, just like everything else there is ALWAYS more to the story, im sure especially when it involves "missing" items. Hopefully its just a guy stocking up for doomsday and NOT a true threat to the US.www.aljazeera.com...
ETA: Im sure there is something more than just scopes and laser sites missing. They are probably trying to downplay this for the public. I hardly doubt they would lockdown the base just for accessories.
edit on 8-1-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

I am sure that this will be blown out of proportion and when they do catch the thief, whether by chance or by planting said items, this will open a new door.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There's definitely more to that story. Things go "missing" every day at military bases. Unless this was an excessive amount stolen, something more important than a few laser scopes are gone. They don't lock a base down for little reason.
edit on 8-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
My God, you people could make a conspiracy out of the sky being blue. When a high dollar item is misplaced the unit responsible is locked down until the item is found. It happens all of the time and the unit is always locked down. The item was either stolen to be sold for profit or lost while training. It will be investigated and looked for until the Brigade Commander is satisfied.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

The United States army is investigating the disappearance of "sensitive" equipment at a joint army and air force base in Washington state. The New Tribune of Tacoma said on its website on Sunday that a 100-member infantry company has been locked down at Joint Base Lewis McChord while the investigation is carried out. Matt Hinkle, the base spokesman, said the company under investigation is from the 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. Major Chris Ophardt, spokesman for 1 Corps, said the missing items are weapons accessories and not weapons. Laser sights were cited as an example. Ophardt said the lockdown started on Wednesday and will continue until the probe is over. Meanwhile, the company is restricted to barracks and dining areas but families can visit. A $10,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the equipment's return.

So this must be domestic terrorist that are in the military taking these items. I wonder if the "sensitive" materials taken were just "accessories" like the military said
I wouldnt think that laser sites are THAT sensitive! Anyhow, just like everything else there is ALWAYS more to the story, im sure especially when it involves "missing" items. Hopefully its just a guy stocking up for doomsday and NOT a true threat to the US.www.aljazeera.com...
ETA: Im sure there is something more than just scopes and laser sites missing. They are probably trying to downplay this for the public. I hardly doubt they would lockdown the base just for accessories.
edit on 8-1-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

more than likely an M4 or one of the officers 9mm has gone missing from the Arms Room. Every lockdown like this that i've been apart of was due to a weapon missing, usually after a training exercise is when they go missing. They wouldn't lock them down for more than a day over a laser or sight attachment, for a lockdown to continue over a day or more it usually 99% is a small arms weapon gone missing. Its a big deal in the military over just 1 weapon. And its not that unusual either, lockdowns happen all the time.
edit on 8-1-2012 by ZeroUnlmtd because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by rockledr

How can you be so sure of this? I think with this country/world in the shape that its in , it would be dangerously irresponsible to just assume everything is going to be ok in the end.

link   

The various branches have been known to lock down areas for a wrench, certain systems like IR lasers that pair with Night vision aren't for sale to civilians, you have to make your own. Not to mention Aimpoints, ACOGS etc... can sell very well off base. Why spend $600.00 + dollars on an Aimpoint when you can buy one thats actually been in combat and is only a little dinged up for $200-300 bucks?
edit on 8-1-2012 by Silverado292 because: (no reason given)

link   

They locked down the base and offered a 10 grand reward, it has to be something important.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

How can you be so sure of this? I think with this country/world in the shape that its in , it would be dangerously irresponsible to just assume everything is going to be ok in the end.

that's why they lock you down, so nothing gets in or out until the item is found

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

I dont think the military would classify a wrench as "sensitive"

Again, these were "sensitive" materials taken.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

My best guess is that some poor soldier found out something he wasn't supposed to know. Now he knows too much and they don't think they can trust him not to spill the beans so now they have to set him up. I wonder if he has three names like the soldier at Mt. Ranier?? Will they need to "have" him kill someone in order to lock him up for a really long time or will theft and leaking secrets be sufficient? I know, paranoid right?....or is it?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

According to this article the military has not been very good at keeping night vision goggles from being stolen, and these are in the MIDDLE EAST
dev.publicintegrity.org...

The report was part of a congressionally ordered probe into billions of dollars-worth of U.S. arms sales and transfers to the Middle East over the past five years. The GAO said the failure to keep track of the goggles is part of a larger set of troubles in the mandated monitoring effort. In some cases, the departments have given short shrift to human rights concerns involving the potential misuse of such arms by autocratic countries — such as Bahrain and Yemen — that have been caught up in the Arab Spring rebellions.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Actually, this is the military's usual way of handling theft problems - punishing everybody - not just the offender.

Example: A GI stole the Colonel's jeep and went on a hair-brained spin, crashing through the Colonel's office wall and through the motorpool's fence etc., until crashing it and running off. They KNEW which person had done it ... and had not yet caught the person ... but instead, locked-down the base (punishing all the GIs) until the person was apprehended.

That's just the way they do things in the military, U.S. Army anyway.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
How can I be sure of what I say? I have 23 years in the Army. I am quite knowledgable on what happens when something is lost in the field training or some idiot thinks he can steal it and sell it. Back in the 80's and 90's criminals would come on a basic training base dressed as Soldiders and steal hundreds of M16s from new Soldiers. This has been going on for a very long time. Things like this just never got out to civilians before. Read the article, it says a company not the base. A company is between 90 and 150 Soldiers depending on the unit.
edit on 8-1-2012 by rockledr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Locking down a base after an item or items are stolen. Hmmmm reminds me of a story about a barn and a horse but I digress. and digress.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I have video showing that the sky is orange. I can prove it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

And of course wont make nearly as interesting a thread as one where everything could go wrong...... la dee dah. La dee dah.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS??? wow everything is not a conspiracy. sensitive items are everything from radios, weapon optics, night vision optics, and weapons. That is just to name a few, and YES they do get misplaced often which is why places get locked down until found. its completely ridiculous that this is even a thread here...wow

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Weapons accessories? Probably those diabolical rigged Diebold voting machines.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sounds like it's time to call in the great TSA brigade to frisk down everyone until they find the missing spork stolen from the mess hall.

Sporks are most definately a sensitive military accessory, easily converted into a lethal weapon, and should only be handled with care by a professional.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join