Russian Naval Flotilla Docks in Syria: State Media

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I know it's only a 6 day port call but this is a symbolic gesture while Iran and the rest of the West are in a steady game of back and forth saber rattling.

Russia is staying quiet but still making their presence felt in the area. I honestly don't know what Russia's response would be if the West attacked Syria, especially while they're Russian ships in Syrian port. I sure hope that Syria wouldn't get attacked while the Russians are in town.

A large Russian naval flotilla led by an aircraft carrier has docked in the Syrian port of Tartus in what Damascus state media hailed on Sunday as a show of solidarity by close ally Moscow.

The six-day port call by the carrier group in the Mediterranean port where Russia has a recently expanded naval base is intended to boost ties at a time when President Bashar al-Assad's government is under mounting Western and Arab pressure over its bloody crackdown on dissent, the Syrian press said.

"The port call is aimed at bringing the two countries closer together and strengthening their ties of friendship," the official SANA news agency quoted a Russian naval officer it named as Yakushin Vladimir Anatolievich as saying.

"The commanders of the Russian naval vessels docked in Tartus took turns to express their solidarity with the Syrian people," the news agency added.

www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

China has been surprisingly quiet over the last couple weeks as well. But we all know their Navy is not a contender when it comes to Middle East warfare so if anything they will be a strategic ally. China has a lot to lose if Iran gets "liberated" and so does Russia so regardless of some people saying that these countries are weak, they should not be under estimated.

Personally, I don't think anything is going to happen since all that ever happens is a bunch of showboating then it always quiets down. I hope it stays quiet, but this region is difficult to ignore lately. Every day now there seems to be some noteworthy news.

Never in my life do I remember so much potential conflict lingering in the air.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I wander if that russian ship and HMS daring will cross paths.if it is a russian ship though it will mostly like dwarth hms daring

actually it doesnt but it would be an intresting battle.
edit on 8-1-2012 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

Bang!! And the Russian ship was gone.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

That would be an interesting encounter. I assume it would most likely be a friendly meeting unless things sour from now until then. It's a a big sea so they will most likely keep their distance. I'm sure both sides will have submarines trying to do some stealthy surveillance on each other though.

If I recall correctly, I remember hearing the Brits have some submarines accompanying their ships, as I'm sure the Russians do to.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

Bang!! And the Russian ship was gone.

And then you woke up, huh?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

No what will the Russians do, "quickly! To the cannons!!"

Please don't make me laugh.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I dont think Iran and Russia are weak at all. A little inexperienced, under supplied and vastly outnumbered yes. But that make them unpredictable. But say Russia, Iran and China vs US and UK that would be a fair fight.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Hellas

Are you confusing the Russians with Somalia or something? Or do you really think that anybody would stand a chance against Russia?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Hellas

Really? Ever heard of super-cavitating torpedoes?

VA-111 Shkval

The VA-111 Shkval (from Russian: шквал - squall) torpedo and its descendants are supercavitating torpedoes developed by the Soviet Union. They are capable of speeds in excess of 200 knots (370 km/h)[1].

Launched from 533 mm torpedo tubes, the VA-111 exits the tube at 50 knots (93 km/h). Shortly afterwards, its liquid-fuel rocket ignites and propels it to speeds of up to 200 knots (370 km/h). Some reports indicate that speeds of 250+ knots may be achieved, and that work on a 300-knot (560 km/h) version was underway.

Good luck stopping that.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Serious?? They are running scared already, hense their latest actions.

You're overestimating them. Plus they haven't had much practice recently. They're not upto scratch.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Serious?? They are running scared already, hense their latest actions.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but what latest actions of theirs indicates they're running scared?

I'm honestly curious.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Hellas

You are drastically underestimating Russia. A classic and historically deadly mistake.

Perhaps it is a defense mechanism against the fact that Russia is probably at least on par with the US in terms of technology. I dont know why you would find that scary though; a counterbalance to the US is necessary so that it does not attempt, at least overtly, to conquer and rule the world militarily and set up a global tyran- err, I mean "democracy"

For as much of the advanced technology the US likes to show off, I bet Russia has at least as much that it keeps hidden.
edit on 1/8/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Get ready to be called an "America Hater"

Some people get sensitive when you point certain things out.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Get ready to be called an "America Hater"

Some people get sensitive when you point certain things out.

Kicking peoples Crimestop into full swing by stating the obvious was a risk I was willing to take

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Was that in reference to me?? Because I'm from the UK.

How do you come to these conclusions when their defence budget is nowhere near the US defence budget??

It's just not possible.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
i used to work in a naval base.

the russian ships looked mean as hell...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Wrong it is the russians that are always trying to show off, what america uses now a days like the B2 spirit and such is nearly 30 year old tech,all these sonic booms and such and chem trails are from the aura bomber 8000 mph watch this vid it shot accross china russia and europe only detected by its chem trail link

and that is probably scratching the surface of what america have,and do you notice how miost countrys like russia and china base there weapons around western ones, russia and china have never created a weapon of complete originality always copies
edit on 8-1-2012 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Exactly, China use a lot of espionage techniques to enhance their military technology.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
To keep history from repeating itself.....history needs to be reviewed.....Please refer to the outcome between the Nazis and the Russians...... Napoleon and the Russians.......How many years did they keep us at bay during the cold war with their tech, numbers, and defense. Sorry, but anyone that thinks a Russian unit is a push over needs to really look back at history. The only conflict they have ever 'lost' in the broadest definition of the term is in Afghanistan....and well, we aren't doing so well there either.

The Russian Subs are mean,

The Russian Tanks are mean

The Russian Ballistic missiles are mean

The Russian Migs are mean

The Russian mainland is isolated and not easily hit

There is a reason the US built the strength in the military it did......It was Because of the Russians (whatever name they happened to have)......Do not underestimate their abilities, History shows that anyone that does, is lucky if they live to regret it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

Basically, they're good at defending the motherland. But on the offensive they are tacticaly inept.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join