It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Movies You Didn't Know About

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm always searching the internet for good reviews on movies that I probably never heard about. The massive blockbusters or the award winners are usually well known and don't usually "blindside" anyone with it being a great film. My favorite movies are usually the ones that I never saw coming. I'd like to use this thread as a pool of movie titles that we can share with one another that is something you really loved but you're confident some of us may never heard about. I'm sure we'll share some that are quite popular or some more well known than others. But surely we'll find a gem or two in here that we wouldn't have otherwise.

I'll start with a few of my own that I've watched recently.

• One Day (6.7 on IMDb)

Jim Sturgress and Anne Hathaway star in this and its the story of their friendship over a period of twenty years told through one day each year, July 15th. This was a very creative story and being a huge fan of Jim Sturgess, I was certain I'd like it. But this would certainly be one of my favorite movies of 2011.

• 50/50 (8.1 on IMDb)

This one is a little more popular than the previous but for anyone who hasn't watched it, watch it! Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogan star and it's the story of how JGL is dealing with a cancer diagnosis and a 50/50 chance of him surviving. I thought those two were great in it and Anna Kendrick is fantastic in this as well.

Got any of your own?

• posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:23 PM
    link   
    I always love finding a good hidden gem of a movie that no one else seems to know about.

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys

All The Real Girls

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:23 PM
    link   
    I just watched the third Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser and Jet Lee.
    "Tomb of the Dragon Emperor"

I have never even heard about it, apparently it got overshadowed by The Dark Knight or something because everyone I asked so far didn't know it existed either. It was made in 2008, and the wiki claims it made over 400 million dollars worldwide.

Maybe everyone else knows about it but I did not know until today when it came on.

It was ok, I wouldn't really say it was great or anything.
    It wasn't crap either, it kept me interested I guess.

I think the first two movies were better.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:24 PM
    link   
    I dont know how popular this movie is, or if anyone has heard of it...

But I always like the Movie...

Bullet (1996) [has tupac shakur in it]

Wish I had another one for ya, but my heads vacant a.t.m...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:26 PM
    link   
    One I have always loved from childhood is ID .

Its an old British football hooligan film, its great very convincing.

Check it out

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:27 PM
    link   
    this film i found very intresting and couldnt believe i had never heard of it i stumbled upon it by accident.very unique and original.

Gamer (2009) - IMDb
    www.imdb.com/title/tt1034032/
    Rating: 5.7/10 - 48,146 votes
    In a future mind-controlling game, death row convicts are forced to battle in a 'doom'-type environment. Convict Kable, controlled by Simon, a skilled...
    Directed by Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor. Starring Gerard Butler.
    edit on 8-1-2012 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:28 PM
    link   
    Oh and check this out from the wiki I linked above:

Actress Maria Bello stated in an interview that another Mummy film will "absolutely" be made, and that she has already signed on.[47] Actor Luke Ford is signed on for a total of three movies.[48][49] The cliff-hanger ending of the third "Mummy" film states that more mummies were found in Peru, leaving a set-up for another sequel.

That means there will be several more "Mummy" movies, and the next is in Peru supposedly...

Gotta admit I am a bit surprised by that...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:31 PM
    link   
    In the mouth of madness, is a great and underrated horror from the 90s, you can find it on youtube in 9 parts

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:31 PM
    link   
    reply to post by muzzleflash

Yes i also recently watched that it was quite good.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:33 PM
    link   
    Both of the Tropa De Elite (Elite Squad) movies are an absolute blast.

They're some of the highest grossing movies of all time (In Brazil). They're about the notorious BOPE military police who go into slums and basically have a licence to shoot first ask questions later. Warning they get nasty.

The movies are in portuguese though so you'll need to find a subbed/dubbed copy if you don't understand said language.

Elite Squad English Trailer
    edit on 8-1-2012 by ShadowScholar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:35 PM
    link   
    One of my favorite obscure movies is "Circle of Iron" co-written by Bruce Lee and starring David Carridine and Christopher Lee. The third time I watched it I began to understand what it was trying to say. By the fifth time I think I understood most of the lessons.
    edit on 8-1-2012 by VictorVonDoom because: spellin

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:43 PM
    link   
    White Fang(1991)I just watched it recently and still think it is a good movie.

White Fang

Jack London's classic adventure story about the friendship developed between a Yukon gold hunter and the mixed dog-wolf he rescues from the hands of a man who mistreats him

edit on 8-1-2012 by Quasi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:04 PM
    link   
    I would imagine that some of the awesome movies from Guy Ritchie and the U.K. should make the list;
    Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, RocknRolla, Formula 51, Dead Man Running.
    As far as comedies go, I would say some that may have been overlooked; Grandmas Boy, Super Troopers, Van Wilder, Strange Wilderness, having a brain fart and can't think of other less known comedies. For North American movies that didn't receive the Hollywood advertising budget; Give'em He'll Malone, Wrong Turn in Tahoe, A Scanner Darkly, Boondock Saints(just the first one), Charlie Wilsons War, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, The Hunting Party, Traitor.
    I really liked the hunting party because it is based on a true story and shows how people who are war criminals, generally go unpunished. I also wondered after watching Charlie Wilsons War how many Russians would be angry with the States illegal war crimes acts during the invasion of Afghanistan by Russia.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:19 PM
    link   
    Mozart and the Whale

Parte 1

Part 2

Full movie on youtube...

Maybe you can find something about yourself ...
    )

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
    link   

Weird lol I just mentioned this movie to my Aunt today. I bought "The Mummy" and am now looking for the 2nd one. I didn't like the third one.

I loved "The Mummy" movies and the 3rd one was just not the same. I did NOT like how they recast the female lead. It drove me nuts! I didn't like it was in China and not Egypt lol. It was ok, not great but not completely bad. I saw it once and tried a second but it just didn't keep my interest.

As for movies I didn't know about...hmmm.

The only movies I can recall that I never knew about that didn't turn out bad were The Reader with Kate Winslet and then Morning Glory with Rachel McAdams and Harrison Ford. I like both actors and the movie was cute.

I am sure there are more but I will have to think a little harder lol

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
    link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
    Oh and check this out from the wiki I linked above:

Actress Maria Bello stated in an interview that another Mummy film will "absolutely" be made, and that she has already signed on.[47] Actor Luke Ford is signed on for a total of three movies.[48][49] The cliff-hanger ending of the third "Mummy" film states that more mummies were found in Peru, leaving a set-up for another sequel.

That means there will be several more "Mummy" movies, and the next is in Peru supposedly...

Gotta admit I am a bit surprised by that...

NO!!!!! They are ruining The Mummy name! WTH. She isn't that great of an actress, the original actor was much better and I'm sure they could have found someone more suitable. I cringed at her scenes lol

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:12 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

Wolf creek.

I watched this one a few years ago,was bored middle of the night thought give it a go.
    I dont like these types of films usally but this one really got me.Its Austrailian and looks like it was made for ten quid but for some reason that just makes it better.If you get the chance give it a go,

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:23 PM
    link   
    Imposter, starring Gary Senise, great movie

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:19 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

50-50 was nommed for a Golden Globe. A quick list of seldom seen or forgotten gems: "Housekeeping", "Evita", the first hour of "Moulin Rogue", too many to mention. "Little Big Man" if you haven't seen it. Quentin Tarantino has a list of 20 movies he wish he had made. Lots of lists around (Roger Ebert has almost a hall of fame list which he adds to every two weeks or so).

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
    link   

Yeah, it got major advertising before and after it was released but most reviews said it was horrible.

I found it quite good, not as bad as the reviews said.

Mine? Hmm. Trying to think cause I would've said "Moon" but that got great reviews even if it was never really advertised. Same with "Ong Bak".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join