It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day…' Homework Asks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If your not home schooling start if anyone can't see the indoctrination of "fred getting beat" so much for your educations.

Hey 2 Gay dudes walking into a bar and drank a beer each per day how many beers did they drink?

Hey 2 illegals ran over the border for a year how many illegals would be here after a year?

Not acceptable now is it?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

I teach in Georgia. This is NOT representative of the curriculum in our state.

Sis?

Is that you?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Hey 2 Gay dudes walking into a bar and drank a beer each per day how many beers did they drink?

What was the time table? Did they share the beers they bought or did they purchase one apiece?

This kind of qusestion would only confuse a third grader into guessing at it!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Georgia

Klan (KKK)
Confederate flag over the capital.
Desensitizing children to slavery with word-smithery in mathematics exercises.

Obvious.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
My brother had an idea which makes sense to me. He said that maybe the person who wrote this assignment probably wanted to get fired. He says you don't get unemployment if you quit

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Totally ignorant, and apparently intentionally racist. Where did this offensive curriculum come from? An actual school textbook, or did the school's staff come up with it independently? It's ugly by any standards, and I don't believe in the least that this lesson was supposed to combine the other subject with math. The administrators are only trying to cover their behinds by giving that lame excuse. The school needs to be investigated, because this is probably only the tip of the iceberg concerning the slant of "education" these kids are getting. I hope this stays in the news and the whole backstory about this incident is revealed, and corrected as warranted.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
wonder what the next question will be "If Fredrick had 2 hos...."

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by aprilc1

The possibilities are endless.

Calculate how many slaves can be chained to the deck of a slave ship x by y meters...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
reply to post by aprilc1

The possibilities are endless.

Calculate how many slaves can be chained to the deck of a slave ship x by y meters...

That's just ridiculous!

That's at least 5th grade curriculum

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

What are they teaching children in school?

Math by the sound of it.

Why are people getting so gung ho about these problems?

They are using the questions in a context of mathematics. They aren't teaching slavery or beatings. But guess what? Slavery and beatings existed, and if it is the choice between ignorance and denying it, I'm going to go with denying. Sounds like people think of it like the Holocaust, it is now a crime to even mention it in some circles.

Excuse Me, but it seems a subtle (or not so subtle) indoctrination into the idea that slavery is OK.

Better to ask how many robots would it take...

This is horrific, and We should condemn this fully. I will not have MY child indoctrinated in this fashion. In fact... I think I would have My child answer, "None. As slavery is an abhorrent practice and has been abolished."

Of course... Wage-slavery still exists. I aim to end THAT, too. ( www.abovetopsecret.com... )

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Math by the sound of it.

They are using the questions in a context of mathematics. They aren't teaching slavery or beatings. But guess what? Slavery and beatings existed, and if it is the choice between ignorance and denying it, I'm going to go with denying. Sounds like people think of it like the Holocaust, it is now a crime to even mention it in some circles.

I see an enormous problem with it because language and the repetition of ideas and concepts is how indoctrination works. I just saw another story just recently about K - 1st grade level kids doing exercises dealing with terrorism.

What happened to letting kids be kids? They'll have a lifetime to learn and hear about these topics. At this rate, we'll have 15 year olds stroking out from sheer stress like old men before too much longer.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It doesn't surprise me. This did happen in Georgia. Let's not be naive and assume the civil rights period in the '60's had a profound impact on southern culture, because it didn't. De-segregation didn't work and it never will. You can put 2 races of people together physically, but you can't make them like or understand each other on a level that really matters. Sorry, but there isn't a white person alive that will ever understand a black person as well as another black person. That's just the reality of it.

Can everybody get along with each other? Certainly. It's called being civil. Should we leave it right there where it belongs? Yes. Should we use slave beatings as examples in math problems? What's the point? Neither has anything to do with each other except to further an agenda that has no use outside of the geographic location that it's used in. An even there the agenda is questionabIe. I don't care who you are or where you live in the U.S., there is always going to be this underlying current in people that whites and blacks are on 2 different pages in 2 different books. And that's because we are and no amount of de-segregation is going to change that. It's time that people accept that and move on. Quit trying to tell yourself that everyone in the world is equal and that we're capable of lobbing raindows at each other while drinking sunshine. Reality check. We're different to the degree where there are going to be problems. Deal with it. It's just that in the south, the underlying current that we're different is a lot closer to the surface than anywhere else in the country. And you can't change that fact either.

youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You guys think this story is alarming? Then check this one out:

High School 'Prank' Makes Children Kiss Their Parents (VIDEO)

It is exactly what it looks like. A school set up a "prank" where students wore blindfolds and parents made out with them, sometimes the student made out with their own parent. And the principal apologized for this getting out onto the web.

WTF is wrong with people?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Talking about racist people in the South, there ya go. Ah, I just hope the people who are making up these questions are shown a lesson and get a beating themselves for imprinting propaganda and prejudice into little kid's brains at that age.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
if a black male buys a bag of weed at $20 and it is 35% off, what was the original price of the bag of weed?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It's like when the Nazi's used propaganda in maths.

The descent of a bomb dropped from a plane flying level at the speed of 100 m per second can be approximated using an X = equation that takes wind resistance into consideration. In this case x represents the horizontal and y the vertical distance of the bomb from the position of the plane at the start of the projectile’s flight after t seconds. Draw the trajectory from a plane flying at an altitude of 1,000 m. How long will it take for the bomb to reach the ground? Calculate the distance of the bomb’s flight. At what angle is the bomb traveling when it strikes the ground? At the moment of impact, what is the bomb’s speed? What is its force if it has a weight of 1 kg? Compare this trajectory with (an identical) bomb released in a vacuum.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

reply to post by vogon42

I could admit that it is in bad taste, yes, but even if my kids were subject to it - it would not be a problem in my eyes.

Now, if the questions were advocating slavery, then by all means - get emotional and argue it up. But they don't, so, I don't see the problem.

When it comes to corporal punishment, that is a different story. Perhaps "beating" is not the right word for what I believe in, but I do believe in corporal punishment. I was raised through it, I am happy with how I turned out, and I believe it shouldn't be any body elses business how children are punished, so long as it doesn't result in dangerous effects of their health.

reply to post by Mkoll

What emotions? Well maybe the child will start crying and speak out about it. Maybe something else. Can't pretend to know how they will react.

Once again though, you are making assumptions. It says "Fred was beat". It never says "Fred was beat and that is a good thing." People seem to take it upon themselves to assume that these references are somehow taking sides when in reality, they are doing nothing of the sort. They are cross referencing reality, something that maybe our kids should be exposed to more instead of being spoon fed the age old lie about the "American Dream" and how things are all hunky dory in the world.

Yes, I am going to side with reality before ignorance.

you sir, speak the truth..

i would love to run into your checkpoint someday

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I don't so much have a problem with the fact that they did it this way than that they did it this way in the books of such young children. 8 year olds don't know what slavery and beatings are for the most part, nor should they. That's a very ugly part of reality, much too ugly for a child so young to be exposed to.

Yes, the fact that the world is ugly is reality, but they shouldn't have such astounding amounts of hideousness thrown on them as their first lesson in how cruel it can be.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Math by the sound of it.

Why are people gung ho about the problems? As they (school) admitted they were inappropriate. Yes slavery and beatings existed and still exist in some areas of the world. By presenting these problems to the kids in a nonchalant manner they are taking the seriousness from it and making it a non-issue like it's fact of life and is ok. Something tells me this would have never flown if it was addressing "The Jewish Holocaust" this way, there would be a outcry and fired teachers.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

WOW!

The school system is in terrible shape one way or another!

Either the administration is that stoooopid, or the books are that old!

I would have kinda freaked if my kids brought home that math homework too!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join