It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day…' Homework Asks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

'If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day…' Homework Asks

news.yahoo.com

Third graders in in Gwinnett County, Ga., were given math homework Wednesday that asked questions about slavery and beatings.
Christopher Braxton told ABC News affiliate WSB-TV in Atlanta that he couldn't believe the assignment his 8-year-old son brought home from of Beaver Ridge Elementary school in Norcross.
"It kind of blew me away," Braxton said. "Do you see what I see? Do you really see what I see? He's not answering this question."
The question read, "Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"
Another math problem read,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
What are they teaching children in school? That is the question at hand, as it appears that they are deciding to push forth something beyond the basics at this school. While the teaching of history is important, events, both the good and bad are important, there is a point where it starts to become an agenda. This is clearly an agenda, where the school or even this teacher is pushing onto the children.

The facts are that in the history of the world, yes there was slavery, that part can not be denied. However to incorporate such into a subject not even related to such, is not acceptable. It leads to the question is what were the teachers thinking that assigned this and why did the district feel this was appropriate to use and teach? While it is agreeable that we should admit that yes slavery was a part of history, but that is where it needs to remain, in history, not constantly brought up. As long as topics such as this are brought up, then the wounds of the past will always remain open, and never really fully heal. It is self destructive and ultimately bad for society and countries in general, not allowing the people to move together into the future.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

What are they teaching children in school?

Math by the sound of it.

Why are people getting so gung ho about these problems?

They are using the questions in a context of mathematics. They aren't teaching slavery or beatings. But guess what? Slavery and beatings existed, and if it is the choice between ignorance and denying it, I'm going to go with denying. Sounds like people think of it like the Holocaust, it is now a crime to even mention it in some circles.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
While subjects such as slavery need to be addressed when teaching our children history, this seems to cross the line ( IMO ) . It should be taught as an undesirable part of our history, not as a math problem.

+29 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I wonder what the reaction would be if the question read:

"If six Jews went into the gas chamber and two was left outside, how many Jews in total?"

Clearly there is a huge difference between denying ignorance and just plain good taste hey?

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
No 3rd graders shouldn't be learning about slavery. It's much too early. They shouldn't learn about slavery until they actually become slaves themselves in the work system. Then they may learn what's it's like to be forced to work to make others rich for something as simple as shelter. 30+ year mortgages for something that would have taken less than a year to build yourself. And then at the ripe age of 65, about a year before you finally croak, you can sit in a retirement home and laugh about how your life was literally stolen from you by a society that's supposed to make life better.

...or not. Just thinkin out loud here.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I've read they are gonna correct this. I guess next if will read: "If Jose picked 20 peaches and Raul picked 32..."

They have to update to modern day indentured servitude.

Seriously though, I can't believe this is a child's homework from any state. I too would be outraged if my child brought this home.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Are the kids going to be more affected by the slave question or the fact that their school, teachers and fellow students are now on the national news? When they grow up they will for sure now never forget the "slave questions"....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

Math by the sound of it.

Why are people getting so gung ho about these problems?

They are using the questions in a context of mathematics. They aren't teaching slavery or beatings. But guess what? Slavery and beatings existed, and if it is the choice between ignorance and denying it, I'm going to go with denying. Sounds like people think of it like the Holocaust, it is now a crime to even mention it in some circles.

Judging by the neckbeard in your avatar i'm assuming your ok with slavery and beatings.

That mixed with your response makes it clear.

I understand if this post is removed. But if he sees nothing wrong with teaching kids about beatings and slavery as if it's common place is just not smart.

When stereotypes continue to live up to their legend , can we just call it fact ?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Dude.....you have to at least admit this is in bad taste.

Many other examples could have been used.

red cars vs. blue cars

walnuts that fell off the tree vs. walnuts still on the tree

slavery can be taught.....but not in MATH class.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

Math by the sound of it.

I don't see a good argument for incorporating domestic abuse and slavery in math questions in the 3rd grade. What emotional response do you think a question about daily beatings will evoke in a child who does get beaten daily? In addition such a question would probably make the child think that abuse like that is okay and normal

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

I could admit that it is in bad taste, yes, but even if my kids were subject to it - it would not be a problem in my eyes.

Now, if the questions were advocating slavery, then by all means - get emotional and argue it up. But they don't, so, I don't see the problem.

When it comes to corporal punishment, that is a different story. Perhaps "beating" is not the right word for what I believe in, but I do believe in corporal punishment. I was raised through it, I am happy with how I turned out, and I believe it shouldn't be any body elses business how children are punished, so long as it doesn't result in dangerous effects of their health.

reply to post by Mkoll

What emotions? Well maybe the child will start crying and speak out about it. Maybe something else. Can't pretend to know how they will react.

Once again though, you are making assumptions. It says "Fred was beat". It never says "Fred was beat and that is a good thing." People seem to take it upon themselves to assume that these references are somehow taking sides when in reality, they are doing nothing of the sort. They are cross referencing reality, something that maybe our kids should be exposed to more instead of being spoon fed the age old lie about the "American Dream" and how things are all hunky dory in the world.

Yes, I am going to side with reality before ignorance.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

I was beat and abused as a child and my emotional response would have been to answer the question and move on!!! I thought it was normal when I was a child, thought all kids got the crap kicked out of them.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This assignment is absolutely abhorrent and I can't believe the level of stupidity of the teacher(s) who thought this would be acceptable to hand out to students. Shame on them!

Kudos to the poster who alligned the Jews into the oven with the slavery questions.
You're methodology is perfect.

I hope these students lose all respect for these teachers and administrators and make the remainder of the year hell for all of them.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWax11

There is the point that was brought up about age appropriateness for the questions that were being presented to the children.
If topics are taught or ideas presented too soon, it could do more harm than good, and is this what people are wanting? To expose children to topics that they may not grasp or be ready to be introduced to? Where does it stop? Do we continue to push the envelope to introduce children to topics where in the past it was decided to wait till they were of the age to understand such?

And the parents, they do have a right to be upset, as many would have preferred till their children were older, that way there could be a discussion, and the actual topics could be handled in a more delicate fashion, where questions could be asked, and answers given.

Many of us did learn of slavery in school, that it existed, but it was not until many of us were older and as a part of the history of the US. And now that this concept, is going to bring questions to the forefront of those children’s minds, many of which either the parents or the teachers are not really ready to answer. And chances are that the answers that they do get, would be very biased and slanted towards one view point or the other. This is going to have a far reaching backlash that many would expect, where the wounds of the past, will really never be allowed to heal, and once again, the question they are ripped open.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
guess what slavery and beatings still exist. do i think it appropriate to teach in an 8 year olds math class no.
why do such problems seem to come from georgio so often.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
One thing I'd like to add is that Georgia has more than enough racism and hate going on. All you have to do is visit Craig's List's Rants and Raves section to see what I'm talking about.

This assignment is only causing to harbor more of a divide between the races. Totally dispicable.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

UUHHHHH, I can't take it any more!!!
Some one please answer the question!
How many beatings did Fred get?

edit on 8-1-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Another math problem read, "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"

news.yahoo.com...

The answer is 14...I think!

Way to put math into perspective!

edit on 8-1-2012 by jerryznv because: Had to read the problem first...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Tesclo

Wow...now I'm almost as depressed as you. please pull your head out of the oven, tomorrow is a new day

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join