It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1995-2012. the internets Wild West years are almost over.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
These are the Wild West years for the net where not much is locked up or locked out. I have always believed that what we are experiencing now, online, will soon be gone; that the freedom and free aspect of the net will be looked back on, by future generations, in total disbelief. What we have now is a window [no pun] of glorious freedom, but a complete and utter anomaly.

I predict in the near future, the net will cost more and access will be dramatically curtailed in favour of overly sponsored and censored content. The government and corporate powers that be ,have not quite figured how to control the net yet, but they will soon.

Remember how the lawless west used to be? This is now. Not perfect by any means, but, I predict the following will eventually happen online.

1, you will need a license to log on.
2, at least 90% of the net will be locked and blocked.
3, pay per view owning a majority of net.
4, permission will be needed for various things we currently take for granted.
5, bills will be passed to outlaw things you now do in good faith.

The net will sooner or later be regulated and locked up to the point of being prohibitive for the vast majority. This weird, seeminlgly lawless [and therefore scary to those in control] cyber anomaly, will soon disappear and we will wonder how we got away with such a wonderful thing for as long as we did.

When we consider how our world really works, it all makes sad sense.

edit on 8-1-2012 by mandroids because: spacing issue.

edit on 8-1-2012 by mandroids because: spacing issue

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
They can't do that,
Regardless of what they do, there is -always- a way around it. That is the nature of the internet. The internet is too big for them to control now, and 'they' is generally the United States (government, corporations, etc)

Lots of folks are not going to stand by and let it happen, look at the opposition of SOPA. Its huge! So much against it. If they pass it regardless of what the public wants. They are melting the ever thinning ice.

They're dreaming if they think they can regulate the internet, they can sure regulate whats in their borders im sure. But to control the internet would be like trying to control the ocean, the waves and tides. Its just too big now, the only way they could do it is to section off a special area of the internet for them and whoever falls for the "you need this" to log on and crap, wont happen. Lol.

In 20 years, maybe. But today, no, tomorrow, no, this year, next year. Probably not. There is just too much freedom on the net, and if its all suddenly taken away. Hell to pay my friend.

And even if they did try, every single hacker on the planet would be on it like flies on sh!t. All of them, not just 'anonymous', i mean all of them.
edit on 8/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hell to pay? look at the liberties we have already given up? x ray machines just to fly!
20 years,maybe, you say;see it is coming even if we will hate it.

They will sell it to us in a manner that makes it look like its for our own benefit.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
Hell to pay? look at the liberties we have already given up? x ray machines just to fly!
20 years,maybe, you say;see it is coming even if we will hate it.

They will sell it to us in a manner that makes it look like its for our own benefit.

That "for your benefit" wont fly anymore i dont think, people are learning from their mistakes. Its like the argument "but they'll shut down the internet!" no they wont, its too much money, and turning off the internet is like declaring war. And they don't want that.

I wont change because of stupid 'laws' about piracy and stuff, i know my way around it.

It is coming, sure. Its up to us to stop it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Trust me, any attempts to "wrangle" the internet will fail...even on little ol me.

There is no software(especially firewall, and access software) that I cannot hack through.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Theres a chance that it would happen, but by that time, the next generation of hackers will have matured, smarter, faster, and more daring than the last.

If all goes well, then RP will be in office, and SOPA and NDAA are toast.
If all goes bad, blood will fly, and we'll have to fight for our freedoms and peace on earth. A legit war for freedom, not this fake war for freedom crap they spew on TV.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
this will happen.

A, they will hire hackers facing 130 years in jail the chance to help them with techinical issues.

B, there will be a huge, world wide horror that will result in the endgame [sound familiar ?] for the current nets version.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Azure,

while i agree with your "in theory" - the problem is another one.

All it needs is a monopoly, that one company (Google!, Microsoft! etc.) are coming up with a new OS or browser, and stupid people all over the world using this OS or the browser...then it doesn't matter that "the internet" is basically free.

Look in the past where the majority of people use ONE operating system or one browser, then its very easy to build things into that software which EFFECTIVELY means control of the internet.

Google is trying (and pretty successfully actually) to overtake the net for a long time already - their goal is to bombard everyone with ads, no matter where, even when they check their emails (Gmail).

So..let google develop a "Google OS"..let this OS be free and "good" even...and Google or a similar company can gain 100% control over what people do online...and the funny thing is people do this voluntarily, no-one forces them to use Google...or use Windows as OS..but they do!

Edit: Also..dont forget that Google is soon coming out with their version of an ipad too which will likely run on some sort of Google OS..there is no escape!

edit on 8-1-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

link   

This, and more, is the reason why the world needs a completely new network.
Something completely separate from the internet, with no connection to it whatsoever.
Designed from the ground up to be anonymous and untrackable (as opposed to the slow addon internet kludges such as TOR and Freenet etc...).

Since we know The Law is always several years behind technology, most everything useful could be ported over to it before they notice.

link   
I can imagine having to sign up to every internet site through facebook, to join or remain on Facebook you have to input your unique code from your ID card. Every post you make on here for example will have your real name and picture next to it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

If this day comes, i'm throwing out my PC and reverting back to face-to-face interactions.
I promise you that.

link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
Every post you make on here for example will have your real name and picture next to it.

They wanted to do this on the world of warcraft forum, but there were huge protests!

link   
reply to post by flexy123

I think in the future you will begin seeing more 3rd party software like Firefox. And the control of companies like Google fading.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The anonymous years are almost over. We will look back with disbelief that it lasted for so long.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

This, and more, is the reason why the world needs a completely new network.
Something completely separate from the internet, with no connection to it whatsoever.
Designed from the ground up to be anonymous and untrackable (as opposed to the slow addon internet kludges such as TOR and Freenet etc...).

Since we know The Law is always several years behind technology, most everything useful could be ported over to it before they notice.

don't worry TCOTBIP
are losing the cyber-wars
the next internet is allready under construction

The classical definition of a darknet is: a private file sharing network. That's a bit outdated (those of you that have been reading Global Guerrillas for a while are already way ahead of the power curve on this). It's time to update/widen the term to accommodate a wider range of modern activity. A darknet:

is a closed, private communications network that is used for purposes not sanctioned by the state (aka illegal).

Darknets can be built in the following ways:

Software. A virtual, encrypted network that runs over public network infrastructure (most of the US government/economy uses this method).
Hardware. A parallel physical infrastructure. This hardware can be fiber optic cables or wireless. Parallel wireless infrastructures (whether for cell phones or Internet access are fairly inexpensive to build and conceal).
IN most cases, we see a mix of the two.

Examples of Darknets:

The Zetas have built a huge wireless darknet (a private, parallel communications network) that connects the majority of Mexico's states. Most of the other cartels also have wireless darknets and there are also lots of local darknets.
Hezbollah (in Lebanon) runs its own fiber optic network.
TOR. A voluntary, decentralized ad hoc network that anonymizes network connections.
Botnets (up to 4 m computers strong) that can be used for global private communications.
Etc. The list goes on and on....
The future? Darknets that power alternative economies. A network layer for accelerating the dark globalization of the $10 Trillion System D.
Sources
article: globalguerrillas.typepad.com...
Site: Global Guerrillas globalguerrillas.typepad.com...
edit on 8-1-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Google is trying (and pretty successfully actually) to overtake the net for a long time already - their goal is to bombard everyone with ads, no matter where, even when they check their emails (Gmail).

So..let google develop a "Google OS"..let this OS be free and "good" even...and Google or a similar company can gain 100% control over what people do online...and the funny thing is people do this voluntarily, no-one forces them to use Google...or use Windows as OS..but they do!

haha I love this, Google as the Anti-christ
it fits!

new topics

top topics

join