It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will We Have a Winter this Year??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Here in the Ohio Valley we've been going back and forth-we had some wintry weather but lately its back up around 50 for the highs -springlike-its very strange

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Almost started a thread on this myself after noticing gnats flying in front of me here in Pa. I think it was 62 degrees.
Almost a record. The ground isn't close to being solid frozen, reminds me of spring time. Late March or very early April. I just noticed the geese moving around in great numbers, only within the last 2 weeks.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I LIVE OUTSIDE OF BUFFALO, NY--A PLACE HEAVILY IMPACTED BY SNOW, AS MOST KNOW. IT HAS SNOWED MAYBE 3 TIMES OFFICIALLY. THE MOST WAS BOUT 3/4 INCHES NO NEED THUS FOR SHOVELING OR USE OF THE SNOW BLOWER. IT IS A MAJOR TOPIC OF DISCUSSION HERE. AND YES, SNOW IS A POSITIVE. THING IN MAY WAYS, A BIG MONEY MAKE FOR SOME AND A MAJOR RECREATIONAL OUTLET. THERE IS DEFINATLY SOMETHING ASKEW. EITHER A FLUKE OR SOME INDICATOR OF MAJOR CHANGE, I DON'T KNOW. I, FOR ONE, AM VERY PLEASED. ALOT OF SUNSHINE HERE, TOO, AND THAT'S UNUSUAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. ANYONE ONE WANNA TAKE A STAB AT A THEORY AS TO THE CAUSE FOR THIS?

edit on 8-1-2012 by Corbin Dalus because: SPELLING

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Northern ohio just got like a foot of snow

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Last year In england, we had record amounts of snow. it was very cold too.
This year it was pretty cold, but not as cold as i remember it, and there was literally no snow whatsoever where I am.
there was one big storm and it was very very windy for like 2 days, but that was last week.
winter was literally non existent, and many of the plant life here hasn't even lost it leaves when it should have done.
Not only this, but the summer was odd too, remember plants blossoming twice, and bearing fruit three or four times thoughout the summer. even though it wasnt "that" hot.
Really weird year to be honest.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
ok,
headin into second week of January and no snow in Wisconsin (southeast)
temps are averaging at 35F to 42F

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Basic reply here but i dont have time to properly explain it...will maybe make a thread about it this week though because there are just too many on here who dont understand the nature and liquidity of the weather.

I'll use Europe as the example. At present, there is a Polar Vortex that has become static over Greenland. This polar vortex is spawning Low Pressure systems that are travelling east across the Atlantic and hitting western Europe. This is allowing warmer, milder weather to come into europe from a milder maritime origin.

this coupled with a strong Jet Stream is piling the Low Pressures in which, in turn, brings in the mild weather. The Jet Stream is so strong because of a very cold (-) value of the Stratoshpere. The colder the Stratosphere the stronger the Jet Stream, until the Stratosphere warms slightly, the Jet Stream will continue to push in the milder air (past few months). This warming effect will also allow the polar vortex over Greenland to de stabalise and form over a prefferd location for a cold feed into Europe.

Signs are already pointing to this to happen around mid January.

This isn't HARPP or anything sinister, this is the weather. Please trust me, the weather will chnage to a colder theme for Europe soon.

Regarding the US, i'll need to look into the set-up there, as you can appreciate i dont live there so i dontreally pay much attention to the weather there.

Hope this helps!
edit on 8/1/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

No snow here in Central NY . None for Christmas, had a couple inches a few weeks back, but melted off within a day or two. Seems kinda nice not having to shovel or use the snowblower everyday like last winter.
But seriously, I don't think were gonna get off this easy, but we can always hope.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Here in New England, it was 64 degrees yesterday. This is the place the Pilgrims almost perished from the long, cold winter they suffered the year they arrived in 1630. This is the place that Yankees became Yankees from the harsh weather and their abilitiy to eek out a living in harsh conditions.

Walking around without a coat in January is a strange thing indeed.

We've had no snow.

My folks from Buffalo---a very snowy place indeed---have had no snow whatsoever this season, save for a light dusting here and there.

I think Old Man Winter is lounging in the Bahamas this season. Buy him a drink!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Arzona. Elevation 4,500 feet. So far it's been, on average, 5 degrees warmer than average. Drier than usual too. It's only snowed once so far this season, and it was nomimal at best.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
We have no snow in saskatchewan either and its been around plus 7 degrees lately. Its really odd too because we usually have a 6 month winter with snow past our knees, and we usually have cold warnings to not go outside. I'm happy there is no snow here and that the weather is half decent but its just weird . A friend mentioned something about it Being shinuk winds (hope I spelt that right) I have no idea what that is though...strange
edit on 8-1-2012 by xZombiexLovex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I read the other day it's because of LaNinia or LaToya or something. Don't worry winter will hit as usual just as soon as you get comfortable. 50 Friday here in South West Michigan

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
New York City, no snow
It feels like fall really.
High 40's low 50's

edit on 8-1-2012 by OmegaOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoSpace
Same over here in the south of England, It's been quite warm all winter, no need for hat and gloves, we didn't get any snow this year not even a bit of frost.

It's been odd up here in, usually, snowy Scotland. Only had frost 2 morning s so far and not even a whisper of a snow flake. Pretty gutted; I bought new boots this year thinking I'd need them after last years crazy winter.

The winds been fun though. Hurricane Bawbag ftw

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just west of Toronto Ontario in the City Of Guelph. No snow, warm temps, in my opinion a perfect winter!

A couple thoughts, I have been tracking our night time temps for almost a year now there has been only 7-10 nights all year where they have been below average temp. Our night temps are extremely and consistantly high. We have had some nights where the night temp is higher then the average day temp. Has anyone else noticed this in their area? I assume it must have an effect on daytime temps and the warm weather.
We haven't had much snow at all but on the other hand we have had no chemtrails lately either. Must be a connection!!

edit on 8-1-2012 by PLUMBER1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I have rose bushes at my apartment complex that are blooming like crazy and I have been seeing a disturbing amount of flying insects in the middle of january. Though this is in the pacific NW where winter is mild anyway... but this is exceptionally so.

Recently wasn't it the first time in like 80 years that on a certain date in December there were no place in the continental U.S. that had freezing temperatures.
edit on 1/8/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Sweden here. Unusual low amount of snow, also temperatures ranging between -10 and 0 Celsius (usually it is -30 and -15 this time of year).

Definitely abit strange if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm in Maine and there is barely any snow here. Grass is still green. A lot of people congested probably due to the mold content. Although, I do remember it like this 3 years ago and thinking the same thing. I am a snowmobiler and am expecting some major snow soon. We usually get the most snow from the end of January to the end of March.
I'm am a little leery of what's in store once we enter the solar minimum though!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

All I have to say is that global warming is truly kicking in if there is no winter in 2012. Lol

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It's because the Polar jet steam is screwed up. Expect sudden, really strong winter. Well into March and maybe even a bit in April.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join