It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will We Have a Winter this Year??

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Winter storms hitting right on time... Hopefully they will continue long enough and be large enough to provide enough run-off this spring. If not, the fire season could be pretty bad.

ETA: Farmer's Almanac, anyone check the data?

edit on 17-1-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Winter storms hitting right on time... Hopefully they will continue long enough and be large enough to provide enough run-off this spring. If not, the fire season could be pretty bad.

ETA: Farmer's Almanac, anyone check the data?

edit on 17-1-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

I checked mine,it seemed fairly close,minus the tornado that just came through here.

www.almanac.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
Same here in Southern Ontario, but after last year ( snow every day from Nov till April) We will take our chances with the negative impact of no snow here.
Heck we will even hug it with open arms too!
At this time last year I had used over 20 Litres of gas for our snowblower and ran out of places to blow it to.
4 big bags of heavy rock salt gone, broke one shovel, and I had a constant back ache too.
This year zip nadda zero zilch not a flake to be seen........Yipppppeeeeee.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 8-1-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

Just thought I would check in after 9 more days of non winter here.
We have received some snow!....It was so little and so light it was gone in an hour at the most.
Today as I type this we had some thunder storms .....I kid you not!
Right now it is 45.5 F and I have 6 windows open about an inch each here and no need for the furnace.
This is actually starting to spook myself and the wife, our local paper finally ran a front page story on it (took them long enough to notice)

Our seven day forecast here is looking like the same, balmy and wet....I plan on BBQing this weekend and that is just unheard of here for this time of year.
Thanks to all posters here that contributed and are still doing so, it gives us all a global perspective on what is happening and makes for some good reading.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I don't believe the weatherman!!!

I'm in Seattle dealing with what has up til now been the most mild winter I've ever seen. Though the temp has dropped to freezing the past couple of days, the media is trying to make it look like there's some sort of massive blizzard here. In truth, there is not a drop of snow on the ground outside my house and certainly none falling from the sky...

I heard them talking crazy stuff like 15 inches by tomorrow....pffft....

They always try and ramp up the weather, but I don't hear anyone talking about how warm it's been.....scratch all that....in the time it took to write this a thin wet snow has started to come down pretty hard....to wet to stick though...ha, bring it on blizzard!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
From our stormwatch on the weather network

Temperatures dipped even further Monday night with wind chill values ranging from -40 to -50 across all three Prairie provinces.
At these extreme wind chill values, it takes less than five minutes for frostbite to set in on exposed skin.
Temperatures are expected to remain frigid throughout the week and as a result, school boards are urging parents to make sure their children are dressed properly for the cold. In Edmonton, when the temperature hits -20 to -23°C, recess is cancelled and students will remain inside.

Brrr
It's warmed up to -31C. We're stuck with this for a few days.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I wouldn't get the BBQ out yet...it was 53F 6-7 hours ago....now it's 28F feels like 22F

When the front blew through it POURED pretty much horizontally....
I'd say tonight or tomorrow you'll have this cold stuff....

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

We will have a winter. It will mostly be from Feb-April, but by the time it is done you will feel like throwing up whenever you hear the word snow.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Southern Illinois here. It was 64 degrees last night, 1/16, then dropped to 30 degrees by 9am 1/17, it's still 30 but is to be 43 tomorrow, then 60 the next two days. but nights are 30 degrees or so.

We had a snow but it was one inch and melted in an hour. Odd. beyond odd.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
London, UK here. Still no signs of a winter. Last week I didn't even need my coat when I went to work. I remember around about this time last year we were covered in snow.

I say bring on the snow! More snow, no trains running = no work

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by Iwinder

I wouldn't get the BBQ out yet...it was 53F 6-7 hours ago....now it's 28F feels like 22F

You are correct, about 6pm here or so a cold front did indeed hit us and hard too.
They changed the whole 7 day forecast and now it appears it is going to be cold until around Sat or so.
It is supposed to be in the mid 40's F Monday and Tuesday now.
I have the steaks dug out and set right on top in the freezer, I will not be denied my BBQ cow.

Still for this time of year it is weird and the ground here has yet to freeze solid.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

We had the same thing last night. It was 48 or something yesterday and now it's 25 with a wind chill of 13. It was warm for one day (yesterday) and now we're back to winter.
It happens. You'll have warm winters and you'll have cold ones. It doesn't mean anything, either that the Earth is going to burn to a crisp or the Ice Age Cometh. All are just normal variations.

The last time we had a winter like this, we ended it with the biggest blizzard of the 20th century, although I remember about 10 years or so ago, my crocuses came up in late January, it was so warm.

I have to laugh when Seattle complains about 5 inches of snow being their worst snowfall since the 1940's!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slamminuk
London, UK here. Still no signs of a winter. Last week I didn't even need my coat when I went to work. I remember around about this time last year we were covered in snow.

I say bring on the snow! More snow, no trains running = no work

It depends where you are. Here in North UK we have just had two very cold days - the car just turned into a block of ice overnight! The frost was so thick I thought it had snowed. And it stayed all day where I live.
Before I retired I used to dread snow and ice. Where I live we have trouble getting in and out with just a bit of ice even. But also you aren't guaranteed to get stuck at home - you might have trouble getting back from work. And not every employer gives you free 'snow days'. We had to take ours from our annual leave.
It makes no difference to me now but I know the terrible toll our last but one winter took in broken bones, trashed cars and the effect on local elderly and disabled people which is why I no longer say 'Bring it on'.
edit on 18-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
We haven't had ANY snow in my part of sweden, and yesterday, my friend told me, was hot enough for him to walk in a t-shirt.Right now it's 1 degree celsius! 1 degree! Crazy! In daytime it goes up to 5!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Checking in from Seattle.....

Yes it finally snowed here last night(tue 1-17), a far cry from 15 inches, but hey my boss called and cancelled work tonight so that's awesome....

Most side streets(here in Phinney Ridge neighborhood) are shut down and people are sledding down them. I may partake later, I'll let you know how it goes.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It's 11:28 p.m. and the air conditioner is running. Mims, Forida.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
SE Michigan

2 to several inches of snow in the area....last night it was 12 ...this morning early it was 25.....tomorrow it should be near 50 with thunderstorms in the forecast

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

SE Michigan

2 to several inches of snow in the area....last night it was 12 ...this morning early it was 25.....tomorrow it should be near 50 with thunderstorms in the forecast

LoL that sounds a lot like St. Louis. One day it is a winter wonderland, the next day it's tornado sirens and duck n' cover!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Definitely a hit on this one. I've been following since it was posted. S&F
Second line

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I would have done my steaks today but it rained and heavy too, the temperature right now is 49.8 F what a ride this is here.
Six days since my last post and besides 3 cold days and about an inch of snow nothing happening here.
If it is drier tomorrow the steaks will be on the grill:-)
South Western Ontario here......(Not far from Port Huron Michigan)
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Deep snow now here,

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join