It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will We Have a Winter this Year??

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Same here friend, I'm in SE Minnesota and we haven't seen more than half an inch of snow this season. Very odd indeed, for this part on MN in January There should be at least 3 feet of snow cover, 20-70 mph winds, and temperatures between +15 to -30 degrees. Just the other day it reached 55 degrees with rainfall. Definately a bad sign if you ask me, the warmer weather is nice though, but not nice for the earth.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnCreed777

Same here friend, I'm in SE Minnesota and we haven't seen more than half an inch of snow this season. Very odd indeed, for this part on MN in January There should be at least 3 feet of snow cover, 20-70 mph winds, and temperatures between +15 to -30 degrees. Just the other day it reached 55 degrees with rainfall. Definately a bad sign if you ask me, the warmer weather is nice though, but not nice for the earth.

i've never been to minnesota but that sounds CRAZY from what i know about your state. wow.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
In Dallas it has been wonderful....lots of golf because it hasnt gotten near freezing once....
Though i wish it would rain more.....

Definitely warmer than any winter i remember and i have always lived in Texas....for almost 40 years and this is among the warmest...

-Chris

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Southern Alberta here, and like everywhere else, no snow. Im outside in my Tshirt right now... weird.

To all of you saying this is a blessing,
Snow Drought

Just thought Id share some knowledge, sorry if the links been posted already. If it stays like this for the whole winter, we might have problems.

Dont be afraid, be prepared.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That's some good detective work there, GRA

Good to know something similar happened that long ago.
And, FWIW, here in SE Michigan, we are supposed to average less than 2 inches of precip in December......and we had over 3 inches...
so above normal temps and precip....just like that 1878 Winter

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It's been one of the warmest winters as long as I'v known, here in Calgary, being pretty much the entire 26 years of my life.
At this time we're usually cover under a good chunk of snow, and the temp. is around -40 Celsius with the wind chill.
It's been in the +10 to -5 range all winter so far...

I'm still waiting for the cold snap.. if it doesn't come then things are definitely strange.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Give it a month and we will all be bitching about the cold and the snow (at least I know I will be)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Yeah I agree something is really weird this year. Yesterday morning when I was leaving my friends house, a bee was trying to get in my car window. I was like whaaat your not suppose to see bee's in the winter. January isn't even half over yet, bee's dont come out until spring and it was 50 degrees also.
edit on 9-1-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Nice to know. Yes, the weather changes over time. It's normal. It will be a dry season, but next year could be different. Like I said, we got pounded with snow last year, and this year it's been mild. We has these types of swings in the 1970s when I was a kid. Let's hope the fires aren't too bad for you.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The weather IS ODD! We had 18-22 degree lows for a few days last week...Prior to that we were having tornado watches, and last night thunderstorms
Im in NC....

Usually we have had snow a few times at least, and average 30-40 degree highs.....This is just too warm. As much as I love snow and winter, I am trying to enjoy this perfect 50s weather. It seems we had completely skipped Spring and Fall and it has been hot muggy summer, more summer and summer. It now feels like how autumn should be...The thermostat reads 44 degrees right now at 0745

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'm in Toronto and many if not most Canadians would sneer at the Toronto winter, although it can get very cold for brief periods, even by Canadian standards, but this year is really unusual. At the end of the fall we had a rose bush that was still in bloom in a pot near the garage door and we decided to bag the pot with burlap and put the rose into the garage.

At that time there was only a single bloom left, at the top of the bush. Thinking of this thread I decided to check on this rose to see if it was still there. It is still there, the very same bloom, and there are a couple of new flower buds starting to open up.

Our garage is not heated, but it seems to have provided the rose with enough climate control to survive and thrive, despite the season.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I hope a "real" winter comes. The Chicagoland area is forecasted for 6-10 inches in the course of tomorrow. I hope it stays.

I wonder if this eerily low amount of snow has to do with global worming or some environmental issue, or if it just happens to be chance.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well, I posted a couple of days ago that my azaleas were blooming. Today an artic front came in and we have snow in the ground. Winter has arrived in Oklahoma at last.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Where I'm at its been sunny but not really warm. The sun has a brightness and an energy about it that is different than any other "winter" I've experienced. It feels like a different type of warmth.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
here in S.E. Washington st. we had spring weather..almost 70 degrees..till today. right now about 18 degrees, still no moisture.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I live in northern MN. We normally have our first snow fall in Oct. (Sometimes Sept) and it stays all winter long. I can't remember when the snow first stayed this winter, but we can at least claim that we've had our snow stay and we had a white Chirstmas. However, we normally have 2 to 3 feet of snow by this time. Our lake finally froze awhile back, but it won't be ready for ice fishing opener. (A first for me in 10 yrs.)

It was 34 degrees 2 days ago, now it's -15 degrees!! I hope winter is finally here. I live in the North for the cold.

For those of you who are really enjoying a warm winter, think about last summer and ask yourself 'Does a warm winter mean another hot summer?' I really hope not. We don't have nearly enough snow this year, but atleast I've been cross-country skiing for the last few weeks. Who else can say that?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This is my second winter in Las Vegas, and for what it's worth this winter has been much warmer than last. Most days I can wear a tshirt and shorts if I wanted to, and not nearly as much cold winter wind as I remember last year either.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I live in one of the coldest states in the United States, and yes, it's been much warmer than usual. We had one night of a slight sheet of snow all winter. It's very unusual.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by risingabove12

I have a love-hate relationship with winter...I hate the heating bills and the ice, hate too much snow on the roof.
But, there's a lot of good to be said for winter weather.

Right now we have some winter, don't know if it's pseudo- or if it's finally arrived.
High will be about 30, there's about a half inch of snow on teh ground.

Not liking at all the freezing rain for FOUR days forecast the week of the 22nd

www.accuweather.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Winter Outlook from NOAA

You may want to look at this, it explains why its so wacky. And it looks like Texas won't get any relief soon.

My area is a total gamble, but keeps flipping between warm and cold. Almost 50 yesterday, freezing today.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join