It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will We Have a Winter this Year??

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynzer

I use to live about 70 miles west of there,and you are right,bitter cold.
My first real experience with snow was when I moved there as a kid in the mid 70's.
It snowed 2 feet and we still went to school.
I had moved from South Carolina were if there was a mention of snow,they closed the schools.

Here in Kentucky,it's been above normal,sometimes way above normal,and no snow yet.
Not complaining cause I hate the winter,but concerned.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Wow I never thought id hear someone complain about no or less snow. Do you like spending hundreds on snowtires and snowblowers and chains? I sure dont, bring on the global warming.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Speaking of weather anomalies, it could just as easily go the other way.
Check out this link: The winter that never left

This occured in 1816. The snow never went away all year, and snow fell on year-old snow the following year.
Attributed to the eruption of Mt. Tambora in 1815, this was truly one of the biggest weather anomalies in recorded history. It affected the northeastern US and Canada the worst, however it was a global, northern hemisphere event.

The unusual climatic aberrations of 1816 had the greatest effect on the northeastern United States, Atlantic Canada, and parts of western Europe. Typically, the late spring and summer of the northeastern U.S. and southeastern Canada are relatively stable: temperatures (average of both day and night) average about 20–25 °C (68–77 °F) and rarely fall below 5 °C (41 °F). Summer snow is an extreme rarity. In the spring and summer of 1816, a persistent "dry fog" was observed in the northeastern US. The fog reddened and dimmed the sunlight, such that sunspots were visible to the naked eye. Neither wind nor rainfall dispersed the "fog". It has been characterized as a stratospheric sulfate aerosol veil.[6]

edit on 8-1-2012 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2012 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
In Australia we've had worse weather than usual. Throughout the entire year its been more rain than anything, and definitely colder than usual. Our Summer is nothing like it should be.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Here in Arkansas it's been between 60 and 70, I've been outside without a jacket more than a few times this "winter."

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
sun is getting whiter and brighter has been for a few years now ,the light it casts is weird looks like 3 am in the 24 hour daylight areas like northern scandinavia

Originally posted by Realtruth
I'm glad you posted this, since we both live in the same area.

Another thing I have notice is the sun is much much brighter, it almost hurts my eyes if I don't have sun glasses. Have you noticed this?

Usually Michigan has at least 40 inches of snow by now, but we have had light flurries at best.

Strange is an understatement, but I'll take it every winter from now on.

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMeYeah ive noticed the sun is very bright and much whiter,when you look oppposite way the light cast upon the buildings people countryside is very strange alomost like the light cast in the 24 hour daylight areas like northern scandinavia
The weather has been odd to say the least this winter.
Above average temperatures....below average to non-existent snow.
Plays havoc with fragile economies as snow contractors, retailers of snow removal stuff and winter sports suffer.
Isn't good for the earth as we need the cold to kill off bugs, weeds and disease and a blanket of snow is a good protector.

Here in SE MIchigan, we've not needed to use a shovel once...I saw a flying insect [like a big mosquito] last week and this morning I saw a dandelion in bloom.

edit on 8-1-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2012 by cuchullainuk777 because: mistake i made

edit on 8-1-2012 by cuchullainuk777 because: grammer correction

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Warm winter here in hungary almost no snow in the capital..there was a bit around x-mas but melted fast.

edit on 8-1-2012 by Gedo:Rinne Tensei because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
In Australia we've had worse weather than usual. Throughout the entire year its been more rain than anything, and definitely colder than usual. Our Summer is nothing like it should be.

I heard you all down under where in a heat wave,45 Celsius,113 Fahrenheit ?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
We're up by the North Dakota/Minnesota border.

The past few years, we had a solid 2 feet of snow by this time around that stayed until approximately April, as temperatures never rose above 10-20 degrees. In 2008 we had an incredible blizzard in mid-November that was so strong you couldn't see further than 15 feet in front of you. By the end of the day, the snow was up to your thighs and hips.

Right now, it is between 40 and 47 degrees, and the 2 inches of snow that we got last week have disappeared completely.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Text I was only talking about this yesterday. this time last year we was in minus temperatures, and now we are in double figures in the UK. something definately isnt right

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Well I know in my area it was expected to be much more mild than previous years according to Farmers Almanac and thus far it has been

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I honestly don't miss the snow. I'm enjoying not having to shovel or scraping the windows on the car. I don't care if I ever see old man winter again. I know some people like the white stuff, but I and my family hate the stuff.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'm in Sc. We've had the air running for 3 days now. Low 80's all week. 4 years ago it would have been 30 to 40's. Not hard to believe though. My therory since it happened... due to tsusami that knocked the earth off axis by like 8 degrees. That would have some major seasonal changes. early/late or even shortening/stretching seasons. Also remember reading a article here or foxnews about the south pole only being -7 degrees this year as opposed to 1984, at -177 degrees. However mildly hot winters are rare rather than uncommon. Stated by discoverynews. That may be where i read about the south pole temps. lol Too much reading

link   
Here in Northern Alabama, the weather has been weird also. The temperatures have been up and down. Last year we had more snow than we wanted to see. This year winter, it hasn't snowed once. I know it's the south and the weather is not going to be the same as it is in the north, but the weather here has been ridiculous even for here.

link   
I do believe the warmer weather is affecting animals, reptile, and animals. I'm in Virginia. Moving the woodpile today (we wanted to wait for cold day to do it but the cold never happened) and there was a snake. Yeap a snake. This time of year they are supposed to be hibernating along with the bears. We had squished it when a big piece of wood fell on it.

I have also seen the colors on plants brightening as they do in spring. The green is returning or never left at all.

More birds and different varieties of them are appearing in the yard.

I do remember a few years back it was 64 degrees at Christmas. Never remember a winter like this.

The one who controls the water, controls life--all life. Just thinking out loud.

Could be the calm before the storm. I believe I heard somewhere it always gets warm or hot before an iceage.

Mother earth could be pi**ed off and is going to try to wipe the slate clean of little__________. (fill in the blank.)

Cheers....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
In many parts of Australia, we've been saying, will we ever get a Summer again! The last two years, summer has been much colder than normal.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm along the foothills of the Colorado Rockies and winter is as normal for us this year. I hear the mountains have not gotten much, but winter did just start last month. We still have snow on the ground and I *stabbity* hate it! Now last winter was odd for us because we had such an incredibly mild winter while the rest of the US got pounded hard! Last year the mountains got over average snowfall and we hardly got anything down here in the foothills.

This year though we have already had a few snows, temps were down below zero degrees for a while and it has been normal winter weather otherwise.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Sorry, were you in New England last year?

Anyone who was shouldn't care. A snow less winter sounds like a blessing.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I agree, chicago has been very warm, i actually still cant believe it. Something is up and i wish i knew what it is

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
same im in Wisconsin most snow we had was like 2 inch on the ground that just melted away the other day but iv seen this before that could all change over night but still it is a concern deff going to hit are economy if it don't change and i wonder how this could have a butterfly effect on are summer the snow protects the plants roots from getting below the freezing temperature so i predict a hard winter on the plants and a slow start to are spring

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join