It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

order of the ten commendments?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
dear christians/bible literates..

id appreciate if you could explain to me the following..

are the 10 commendments in a specific order? for example from "mostly most important 1th" to maybe "just very important" 10th..

and if not, where in the bible is it said that the order does not play a role...

further more..

if the order does play a role , why would it be more important to not make graven images compared to not murder someone?

p.s i hope i made sense, it is still very very early over here

edit: sorry for posting this in the wrong forum at first - couldnt find the religious forums.. like i said - it is still early
edit on 8-1-2012 by Acetradamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Acetradamus

Personally I doubt it's in order, I mean if you're writing a list something has to be at the top and something at the bottom.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acetradamus
dear christians/bible literates..

id appreciate if you could explain to me the following..

are the 10 commendments in a specific order? for example from "mostly most important 1th" to maybe "just very important" 10th..

and if not, where in the bible is it said that the order does not play a role...

further more..

if the order does play a role , why would it be more important to not make graven images compared to not murder someone?

p.s i hope i made sense, it is still very very early over here

edit: sorry for posting this in the wrong forum at first - couldnt find the religious forums.. like i said - it is still early
edit on 8-1-2012 by Acetradamus because: (no reason given)

This is what G_D say's and means:

Mt 22:36 “[Jesus], which is the great commandment in the law?” And he said to him, ’You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.”

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Violater1 answered well, the 10 commandments are basically specific elaborations on the summary he mentioned. 1-4 specifically addressing how to love God, 5-10 addressing how to love our neighbors.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

. . . why would it be more important to not make graven images compared to not murder someone?

Back before Moses even went out into the wilderness to meet The Lord, the concept of murder was already established, as in that was why Moses went into the wilderness to start with, to flee prosecution for murdering someone he thought he could kill and get away with.
The Lord speaking from the mountaintop needed to establish his position with the people and was saying He was Lord, and not that guy, Moses. Well, there was this idea in Egypt, where these people had recently come from, that you have a king who is also God, where you also have Moses in a situation being brought up in the house of the pharaoh to where he could have jumped into thinking he was God, where The Lord is saying, "You know, I'm right here, notice how I am talking to you right now, so don't be thinking you need something or someone to represent me since I'm not going anywhere, excuse me."

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The commandments are probably close or the way they were written by the finger of God on the tables given to Moses and to be kept in the earthly Ark of the Covenant. They are a copy of the Heavenly in Heaven.

Re 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail. KJV

They are a transcript of His Character of Love and when we are one in Him they also become our transcript, written in our hearts. Then there is no galling to do His Will and keep His Commandments.

Sibbs

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sibbs
They are a transcript of His Character of Love and when we are one in Him they also become our transcript, written in our hearts. Then there is no galling to do His Will and keep His Commandments.

Sibbs

For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

This is part of the 2nd commandment, doesn't sound too loving to me!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

Originally posted by sibbs

Sibbs

For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

This is part of the 2nd commandment, doesn't sound too loving to me!

There are two parts to this, first the easy part about the generations. I will tell you that the part about the judging the children based upon the fathers actions has been done away with by the New Covenant and second had a specific purpose for the Jews.

They were chosen by God, knowing this they could also accept this higher standard. You see the way God could prove to the Jews that he was God and they were chosen was by holding future generations responsible for past mistakes. Look at how many times they were divided or conquered because they had not followed God. Each time it took a profit or righteous king to restore the Kingdome. Thus they indeed learned that they needed to obey God.

The second about God being a Jealous God.

First there are two types of Jealousy; one is out of love the other is out of fear. If my Jealousy keeps my wife from having friends, this is bad and done out of fear.

The second is looks something like this. I am a father, I teach my child good things. I show her the way, I teach her always listen to the love that is guiding her. I tell her it is Jesus living inside of her that helps her to know what is good. I explain to her why she seems happier when she chooses to do the right things.

When she watches TV and listens to the radio she may learn something other than what I teach. What I teach she knows in her heart is right, but if she follows the sex, drugs, and violence on TV rather than what I teach I become jealous of the message she is following. Not because I am angry with her, but because she has chosen a path that leads to her destruction. I love her and I want her to come back to the right path.

Because I love her I will discipline her; maybe I will take away the things that have influenced her, the TV, Radio and her Cell Phone. This is the way I discipline; God has his way to discipline us. But remember the bible says God only disciplines those that he loves, and the ones he loves he calls sons and daughters.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

Thanks,

But it clearly states "visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me"

"Visiting the iniquity" or repaying the sin/wickedness back to them.

I understand your point about jealousy but I think what is written here is quite clear, it doesn't say a loving jealousy but about repaying a bad deed.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

Thanks,

But it clearly states "visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me"

"Visiting the iniquity" or repaying the sin/wickedness back to them.

I understand your point about jealousy but I think what is written here is quite clear, it doesn't say a loving jealousy but about repaying a bad deed.

In order to completely understand this you have to completely understand the Israelites. Actually you can look at today’s misguided Christians to understand the Israelites.

Note to Christians if you are not like the one’s I mentioning you do not need to defend yourself. This is only an example.

Do you see how today’s Christian fully believe that they are God’s chosen people? They believe that no matter what they do, literally no matter what, that now that they have accepted Christ as their savior that they have been promised heaven. These Christians believe their Children also have to make this choice to be saved. So there is no generational promise.

The Israelites believed that they were God’s chosen people. They, their children and every generation that came after them had been chosen to be God’s people. So no matter what happened to them they knew that God had chosen them. And because they believed that God had chosen them they often times acted the same as today’s Christians. But for them the promise to be chosen was generational thus they were punished through the generations.

I think you are taking the "repaying of sin" as something harsher than it really is intended. You see when Israel obeyed God they lived free, abundantly blessed by God. When they did not obey they were subjected to harsh rule and live in need and lacking. It is not as if God stopped loving them and being their God. How could anyone believe Israel was a chosen nation if they lived lives of excess and sin?

edit on 8-1-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Thanks again for the reply, I'll take some more time to read it in context.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I think it's important to note that the 10 Commandments that people follow today are not the original 10 Commandments that were said to be brought down by Moses.

King James version of the bible: Exodus 20:2-17. Moses is telling people rules that he had been told from God, but did not write them down.

(Exodus 31:18) - Moses comes down with some Tablets, sees people worshiping a 'false god', he gets angry and smashes the tablets on the ground. (Exodus 32:19)

So this means that Moses got word from God twice, but neither times does the bible mention 'commandments', just that God 'spake'.

Once again, Moses goes up the mountain and this time, comes back with some tablets that he doesn't end up smashing, which he says are the 10 Commandments from God. (Exodus 34:28)

The thing is... the new commandments are different that the two Moses got the first time. So either Moses messed up, or God changed his mind. Here are the original commandments:

I. Thou shalt worship no other god.
II. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
III. The feast of unleavened bread thou shalt keep.
IV. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.
V. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest,
and the feast of ingathering at the year’s end.
VI. Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord God.
VII. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
VIII. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.
IX. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.
X. Thou shalt not seethe a kid [ie, a young goat] in his mother’s milk.

This was from a book from the 'Disinformation Series" - very good reads.

new topics

top topics

join