It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's basis rights starting to be eroded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Well after the NDAA passed in America, I have been keeping an eye out on the situation here in the UK and it seems like the subtle beginnings are coming into place:

www.dailymail.co.uk... m.html

I think Lord Kerr sums it up perfectly and I will borrow his quote "the right to be informed of the case made against you is not merely a feature of the adversarial system of trial, it is an elementary and essential prerequisite of fairness"

edit on 8-1-2012 by MoneyRain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MoneyRain

I cant find the article?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
the link is jazzed up.

this one works.....

OP link was screwed up

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Thanks xuenchen.
edit on 8-1-2012 by MoneyRain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
sneeky bastards

The key points, set out late last year in a Green Paper on Justice and Security, include a sweeping power to allow Ministers to withhold evidence they deem ‘sensitive’ from any civil open court hearing or inquest, if the Minister thinks disclosure would cause ‘damage to the public interest’

The Green Paper also states that in cases where this ‘closed material procedure’ was invoked, the only person apart from the judge and the lawyers representing the Government who would be allowed to see the secret evidence would be a ‘Special Advocate’.

dirty players.

I think just looking at politicians ""would cause ‘damage to the public interest’ ""

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Thanks.

This is another slippery road to tyranny.

When in gods name are people going to wake up?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
They have to pass these laws because they have too much to hide
Nazi Britain has arrived wrapped in the Union Jack

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The quote from Shami Chakrabarti gives some credence to the article but lets not forget this is a Daily (unreliable) Mail source. I can't seem to find any other source for this as of yet, but I will keep looking.

We have a strong liberty movement in the UK so I suspect if this is true it will be getting a lot more attention in the coming weeks.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

It is time we showed these people that actually we the people of the country are not interested in their lies and deceits. They clearly are not up to doing the job. I think we have no chance however as we are all still waiting for Blair and suchlike to be charged with war crimes.

These people all work with each other against us, and we have nothing to hit back with because we are constantly being devided and conquered, they on the other hand have a very large group of people all working towards 1 agenda.

We the people need to actually take power back in this country, this has never happened before in england, and most people here now just want a quiet life, so that tells me change will not come and they will eventually get what they want!.

For my part, they will eventually have to carry me off in a box because i have reached my limits of playing this silly game where we the people are constantly being robbed of our wealth and liberties. There needs to be a change on a world wide scale, not just on a country level. After all the agenda of the few is worldwide and if we all came together in the same way then we may perhaps get somewhere.

Our government is not good for us fullstop!.

Imagine this on a worldwide scale? scary or what!

edit on 8-1-2012 by brommas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well it's commonly stated
Britain is 2-3 years behind the states in many social issues

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well this is rather disconcerting, I shall flag this post.
Thanks for sharing.
~CD

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by brommas

It is time we showed these people that actually we the people of the country are not interested in their lies and deceits. They clearly are not up to doing the job. I think we have no chance however as we are all still waiting for Blair and suchlike to be charged with war crimes.

It's time?????!!!????!??!??!?!?!?! Too late. The time NOW is for revolt. That is the ONLY thing that will overturn the likes of government "protection" and tyranny. Unfortuantely, too many people have taken a wait and see attitude. Just be as ready and prepared as you can for when TSHTF.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
By the way, I am really disappointed at the lack of s&f for this thread. This is MAJOR news. Exactly what everyone is worried about and the basis for many threads here inre the eroding liberties and freedoms of citizens in civilized nations.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
We are not a civilsed nation - Civilised would not fight false wars or bring out Draconion and Nazi type laws.
This law is not passed - I for one intend to pressure my MP TO GET OFF HIS BUTT and challenge this proposed law

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Until the House of Lords are done away with this will not pass, into law.

It will take years anyways before it does. The way things are going the coalition Government will not last.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Before we all go off, half-cocked, lets just read the article in it's entirety, remember this is the Daily Mail and also avail ourselves of what a Green Paper is...

Firstly, the article itself highlights that previous attempts to use this "secret evidence" where thrown out by the Supreme Court:

After the 2010 Election, say the sources, MI5’s Director-General, Jonathan Evans, began a Whitehall lobbying campaign, arguing that the scrutiny Mr Mohamed’s case had directed at his agency had caused severe damage. He was also trying to overturn a decision by the Supreme Court, made after former Guantanamo prisoners sued the Government for damages.
Although the Government had already settled the case by paying them millions, MI5’s lawyers tried to get the court to agree that even without legislation, they should have the right in future to have evidence heard in secret, concealed from all but Special Advocates.
The Supreme Court’s response was withering. In the words of one of its judges, Lord Kerr: ‘The right to be informed of the case made against you is not merely a feature of the adversarial system of trial, it is an elementary and essential prerequisite of fairness.’

So, we can see that there is a decidely large lack of support, even from the Judiciary, let alone lawyers and the public at large. If the Government loses against the Highest court in land on this point, I find it hard to believe anyone else will swallow it.

Secondly, this is only a Green paper, which just and advisory "we are thinking about this - what do you reckon?" kind of paper. It means nothing and most green papers stay as ideas and never make it to White paper status, much less a vote.

Thirdly, this is the Mail, so just bear that in mind.

new topics

top topics

join