It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S warship sunk by Australian navy sub. (war games) 2005

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by jazzguy

People say things like that because they lack self-confidence, self-worth, and self-acceptance.

Instead, they lash out at others to boost their flailing ego.

On topic, great video!

Ya it was a cool video showing how the inner workings of the sub operated during the game. Interesting stuff.

I also agree that people will attack others over totally arbitrary invented "groups" which they divide themselves between so that they can mask their lack of "self-confidence, self-worth, and self-acceptance."

It also can be used by organizations to control their populations as well. Religions use it to control their congregations, governments control their citizens, etc. And then they can use this to get them to commit stupid actions like hating and warring with people 'just cuz' they are different in whatever system of differentiation.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Great video of war game in action.

Sad the US left the radar on at the beginning and nearly made the whole thing a pointless exercise.

Nothing wrong with an AUS sub popping up beside your destroyer,
better that than a Chinese one...
oh wait ...
that's right

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
They must have been angry for losing to Australia of all countries.

I mean, even Iran has a better navy than the Aussies

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Seriously though, that is exactly the reason why major military powers invested so heavily into submarines is because they are the best possible naval weapon you can get your hands on.

One sub can take out an aircraft carrier or a convoy of trade vessels, etc.
It actually happened that way in WW2 especially.

Submarines will outlast all of the other types of military naval vessels most likely, especially when they become UAV carriers themselves.

I expect to see all surface ship capabilities integrated directly into the submarine chassis over time, it seems like a logical progression of technology. Especially considering how important stealth is.
edit on 8-1-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikehawk

You base that on what credible information mystery person without the guts to state where you come from? Otherwise known as a hiding coward.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Submarines are dangerous vessels to any surface fleet. No matter who.
In my time at sea, I took place in many war games where we easily took out our surface forces as well as other surface forces of other nations while taking part in international war games. All of the games started out with us being noisy, and shooting off a smoke so everyone new where we were so they could start their tracking. After they had a good track, we would return to normal submerged operations, and normally 30 minutes to an hour, the surface fleet lost track of us. That would include their airborne ASW assets as well. After another two hours, we would get a message on UWC (underwater communications) to broach, and turn on our running lights and light off our baby diesel so they could regain contact.
This is not to say that we have never been killed, because we have been, but only by the usage of another submarine. We were never killed by a surface fleet.

I have to agree with Muzzle. (btw love the avatar. looks like New Jersey in the 80's). An intelligent submarine captain with a well trained crew is a force to be re conned(?sp) with. You may or may not remember a couple of years ago the Chinese submarine that surface inside the 2000yds of a US carrier. No one even new she was there until she surfaced.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikehawk

I'll tell you what even though the Aussies have been pushing the relics around well before any upgrades, they still come off winning a few war games with other country's, there a pretty resourceful bunch. and you might want to do a bit of research on where they are now and what they are doing and who they are doing it with.

i have a few American hats in my wardrobe, swapped for a few akubra's from guys that my husband now calls mates. I think you need to talk to some yanks who have had Aussies by there their side in combat.

love and harmony
whateva

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
Great video of war game in action.

Sad the US left the radar on at the beginning and nearly made the whole thing a pointless exercise.

Nothing wrong with an AUS sub popping up beside your destroyer,
better that than a Chinese one...
oh wait ...
that's right

Well actually they were suppsed to switch their sonar off at the start to make up for the advance knowledge that the sub was going to be in the area inthe first place. In a real situation they'd usually have no advanced warning of it. What it did show was that even with advanced warning there was a big fault in the defencive strategy of the U.S navy involved and that the Aussie sub showed that detection can be avoided and an objective completed even when the odds are against you. Which is why they have these exercises.

Also Australia has one of the longest Submarine histories in the world. The U.S wasn't exactly going up against a novice

The exercise was far from pointless. In fact it achieved what its actual goal which is to identify strengths and weaknesess..
edit on 8-1-2012 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
reply to post by Mikehawk

I'll tell you what even though the Aussies have been pushing the relics around well before any upgrades, they still come off winning a few war games with other country's, there a pretty resourceful bunch. and you might want to do a bit of research on where they are now and what they are doing and who they are doing it with.

i have a few American hats in my wardrobe, swapped for a few akubra's from guys that my husband now calls mates. I think you need to talk to some yanks who have had Aussies by there their side in combat.

love and harmony
whateva

Well the Collins class came in only in the 90's and they've had upgrades since then. And they are the largest conventionally powered submarines in the world and not exactly harmless. And they actually are very quiet.

They are gearing up to replace them but for now they can obviously do the job.
edit on 8-1-2012 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
So a major U.S. allied Sub wins against a U.S. surface group. That's a big shocker, Not. Subs are boats, the rest are targets. Having said that the Aussies are our brothers and know all our weaknesses and also these exercises are majorly political. In the real world everyone plays for keeps and do not make stupid mistakes.

Anyone who thinks Iran has a chance, even with a sub is off their rocker. I guarantee every Iranian sub has a U.S. attack sub glued to its rear right now. We sent that message loud and clear to the Soviets as we pinged every sub they had at the same time world wide to let them know that we had their number anytime, any day. They promptly changed their attitude.

Take it from someone who has been the ears for the deadliest weapon in modern history.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikehawk

You have got to be kidding with that lame statement. Iran is horrible compared to any NATO sub period.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadys321
lmao Australia sucks in every & all aspects. The US isn't much better, but AU would lose badly in the overall picture, very very badly.

I feel bad for every & all Australians.

Look at this one mods. Wouldn't this be classed as ill mannerd? Oh wait it was posted by an American so it's ok as long as Americans aren't being offended.
edit on 8-1-2012 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
They were supposed to turn off the sonar to let the Aussie sub slip away but still kept it on LMAO, even with cheating they still lost. This reminds me of my front page thread

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Well done to the Aussie navy... ...and a chorus of boos for the US Navy... But, it's been said that one learns more from a loss than from a victory.

Any bets as to whether those ship commanders learned something, or maybe more than one something? My guess it that they did. That was, afterall, the whole point to the exercise.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
They were supposed to turn off the sonar to let the Aussie sub slip away but still kept it on LMAO, even with cheating they still lost. This reminds me of my front page thread

Yeah but there's 1001 reasons why the U.S surface fleet failed, And it's got nothing to do with them being out smarted and out outmaneuvered. Just read the replies on here. They'll tell you.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
This is not a U.S bash.

It obviously is.

Thread closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join