It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My and my families take on what it would take to survive in a SHTF scenario, Sit-x, or post apocalyp

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonSpirit2
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Well all I can say is we are lucky to have someone of your experience on this thread. I know you can't teach us the practical but you absolutely have my permission to go into detail about some of the points you would make if you were teaching us survival. We would be lucky to hear it of that I have no doubt. And I mean I know there are several contingencies where we would all be screwed and die! But if that's going to happen then it will. I will not concern myself with that because I can't control it. I can however control how, what, when, and where I am, my family is and what stuff I take with me that ensures I make it there and have at the very least the possibility of contributing and surviving once I get there.

That's all this is about.

This is not me trying to blend in with the roaches and hoping the radiation passes me by. LOL

That is kind of you to say...but there is litte I can offer as a way to survive should an all out Nuclear exchange occur. What I can offer is a way to survive should a limited Nuclear war or say a massive solar flare or EMP destroys our energy grid. WATER, WATER AND MORE WATER! A Human can survive without food for a month or more...but without water...only a few days. Shelter....any underground shelter is good protection but line it with lead if possible. Be careful not to get lead poisoning. Food....very dense CARBS as well as Protien that can last such as jerky or canned tuna or salmon. Pasta is dense carbs but you have to boil it so you loose water....there are liquid carb and protein suppliments as well as a Multi-Vitamin being absolutely a necessity.

Guns...all types...for hunting, self defense and close quarters fighting such as a sawed off with buck shot.

Knifes that are of the survival type with a hollow handle for fishing line, flint to start fires and a compass and maps.

Cold weather gear....I cannot tell you how important it is to have boots that are water proof. Knowledge of edible plant life. I could go on but these things are important. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonSpirit2

This is a good list, however, depending on how urgent things get you may be able to leave with only a few things you can carry. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Portable free energy device. Laugh if you want, but type in free energy in youtube and see what happens.
2. A heating filament or 3 from an electric range. Provides heat and also cooking for food.
3. Lots of solar blankets. Insulates the shelter and also keeps you warm. Add two more layers of tinfoil and cover with earth.
4. Find a spot near a water supply. Fishing and water.

Why these options specifically? In a roundup situation, starting a fire is suicide. Helicopters flying overhead can easily see your heat signature. Using solar blankets and tinfoil with multiple layering, and using heating and cooking without a fire keeps you invisible.

Disconnect from technology. Have an escape route planned that is off the road and has access to water. Move to a more desolate location and set up a 2 mile parimeter. Team up with people you trust that have skills. Scavenge small electronics such as:

Whistlers: they beep to help find your keys. Ultrasonic detectors available at radioshack detect movement miles away. Aim them at the horizon line or alittle higher so it doesn't throw when animals pass. Run the wire back to camp. They have such a low power draw that you could hook up two wires to a simple electrolyte(potato, sea water) to power it.

Now you have an early warning system on the ground, and you are not visible from above. All these items easily fit in a corner of your backpack.

Setting a tent and lighting a fire will not only attract desparate people, but the policing force that are looking for you. They will likely be foreign and really don't like americans.

Guerilla warfare is key. History has shown that organized forces cannot defeat well organized guerillas. Own a gun, set up boobytraps, and delegate responsibility.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

This is all great information. In regards to the radiation fallout issue, make sure you pack a us map with air currents. If you are in the air current path of any major metro area, army base or nuclear plant..... plan your escape route based on avoiding those air currents and finding the closest, most desolate area.

Radiation is a real concern. If the grid goes down, you need to see where the air is going. All these nuclear plants will begin to fail without any grid power, and turn the us into a waste dump.

Iodine is good, yes. Learn how to plant and grow rosemary, which does the same thing without having to carry around iodine.

Stay safe, and protect your family. Hopefully it will never happen, but not being prepared is the worst thing we could all do. Then we'd have to take whatever solution they offer us (create the problem, then the solution)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
My opinion of the people stocking up on gold and silver is:

They are desperate and were lazy, because that's all they've got when they start to offer it in trade for food and things of real value.

They think TEOTWAWKI will be a money making opportunity because they think their gold will be worth even more. You can't eat or drink gold. It doesn't keep you warm. Yes, you could possibly buy food and drink with it and maybe some firewood. But not for long. The person selling his stash for gold just lost out unless TEOTWAWKI is temporary, as in a few weeks unless he has a s#tload of food reserves.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If you are in a situation where you have to move, well, I guess you just are. But realize if you are on the move a lot of other people will be on the move as well. It's kind of like that old military saying, "No battle plan survives the first contact with the enemy." Bottom line: If SHTF the freeways will be jammed.

A far better idea, IMO, is to go where you want to wind up right now and set up shop. Make your claim to your castle and defend it. Otherwise you will be wandering into territory that someone else considers to be theirs. That way you can accumulate what you need and not worry about transporting it anywhere. I think all these lists are very good. The only problem is moving what's on the list.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Right on Schuyler. That's what I did. Got out of Dodge and have my survival place. Hope I made the right decision in location. Only time will tell. If not, I'm still ahead of the game for the time I was here as it is beautiful and peaceful.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonSpirit2

Let us say for instance that there is a SHTF scenario. First the TSA will be on the roads directing you where to go. If you resist you will either be shot or imprisioned. STAY OFF OF THE ROADS. In my opinion you will have to travel COMPLETELY off road if the SHTF scenario has already happened. Considering this you will not be able to carry everything that you have on your list so it would be best to stock the area you are going to before anything happens so that you can travel light. Rather than Rubbing alchohol and peroxide for infections consider colloidal silver. Colloidal silver kills everything that alchohol and peroxide wont and you can put it in your water to make it safe for drinking with no ill effects. If you carry PURE silver coins with you you can even make more colloidal silver wile you are hiding out in the woods for months or even years. Always carry a roll of saran wrap. Sounds funny right. Well if you have a stone and a small bowl Saran wrap can be used to evaporate water from soil for drinking and the water will be PURE as long as your collecting cup is clean. A fishing reel and rod is nice to have if you have already stocked your base, however while traveling off road you might just want the line, (spiderwire) and hooks to keep light weight. If you can stock up on rice and penut butter. Rice is very filling and nutricious and peanut butter is plenty of protein. I dont trust MRE's because of all of the chemicals but thats me. Learn to raise rabbits. I know they are cuddly and cute but they multiply quickly and they are a good source of meat. You also dont have to use bullets to get them because you are raising them. When you are in a SHTF situation the fewer bullets you fire the better. Noise draws attention and maybe predators, so does fire and smoke so learn not to use fire at night and how to dissapate your smoke in the day. Just a few tips. Hope they help someone.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
great comments for sure I will keep all in mind. I am thinking of course in an ideal situation that I hear that something is going on right as TSHTF and I am able to make it to where I need to go on the roads before they get decked out with HLS, TSA, and local law enforcement setting up check points. The truth is there are not enough government employees everywhere to set up checkpoints everywhere and some local law enforcement are not going to take things seriously if Sit-X does not happen anywhere near their area. That's just my take I could be wrong about this.

Call me crazy or silly however I have been watching some shows that I think are starting to really help me.
1. The Colony (Just finished season one on Netflix)
2. Dual Survival (About to be starting episode 6 of Season 1)
3. Jericho (Season 1 and 2 finished)

I have honestly been thinking about survival for a long time but Jericho is the show that got me thinking about it again seriously.

The other two shows followed. And I know they may be reality TV at it's finest and some of you may hate it and think it has no real merit or value at all. However I am a visual learner and it's very difficult to get visual aids for stuff like this other than survival shows.

I have noticed it's ideal to have a way to start a fire but there are many ways to do it. It's important to have water but some of us do not have a Berkey, the money for one, or the space to transport one. So it's more important to learn how to filter it in the middle of nowhere. (Water filtration)>>>>*Cloth on bottom, charcoal from fire, fine sand or dirt, and then gravel type material on top will provide you with pretty pure clean water with very little microbial activity, and for the rest if you have fire you can boil the rest.*

Many things some of us may not have thought about before and yet some of us have and do. But for the beginners out there I'm starting to realize that it may be more important to have the knowledge to do rather than hauling some device or some thing with me to do if for me. Those options are about convenience and if it works out great but if it doesn't can you drink river water or pond water without getting sick and dying from dysentery and dehydration?

Or if it's cold and your bic lighter got wet are you going to freeze to death because you couldn't get a fire started?

If your shoes get ruined and your vehicle is broken down would you have the forethought to cut up your tires and cut the seatbelts out of the vehicle to make tough sandals?

Real serious questions here and some serious food for thought for all.
edit on 12-1-2012 by DragonSpirit2 because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join