First off I'd like to say I'm no expert or something but have done many hundreds if not thousands of hours of research, reading, etc.. on some of
these topics. I'm quite outdoorsy and could quite literally be perfectly fine on the ground in a tent indefinitely. Whereas that's not quite
"worst case" I'm fairly hearty I'd say.
I have heard people say over and over again invest in or have gold or silver because it will always be worth something.
The whole idea of gold or silver being worth something is based on rarity and the fact that a soft shiny rock is worth something to someone.
I almost feel like this idea may become obsolete with this newer generations mindset on things if TSHTF.
We have talked it over and thought that things like Whiskey, Cigarettes, Pharmaceuticals, Water, Gas, etc...would be worth more to someone than gold
or silver. Reason being you can't quell those darn Nicotine jitters since "the blast" or whatever happened a couple of weeks ago with a shiny rock
can you? Basically if people are dying and they need things and have things you need I know atleast I would be reluctant to accept gold or silver in
return for it seeing as I can't DO anything with gold or silver or jewels or whatever!
Barter would be in full swing if people were desperate, currency systems only work in the best of times, barter comes into play when currency means
diddly because people are sick, starving, or dying.
So here's my list of what my bug out would look like. *(Mind you I did not say bag, because my bug out would most likely be an entire trunk*)
*In no particular order of importance*
1. Atleast a case of Cigarettes
2. 5 fifths of Whiskey and 5 liters of Vodka
3. Iodine, Rubbing Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, Bandages, Hospital grade masks, cool packs, hot packs, pain reliever/fever reducer, Ace Bandages, High
Class gas masks. (this is not all but think of this as the advanced first aid kit)
4. Sealed Hard containers of water (with purification tablets on hand) Atleast Two 5-10 Gallon containers.
5. Multiple high quality knives.
6. Atleast one sidearm, one shotgun, one hunting rifle, and one tactical rifle. (mounted scopes and bore sighting for both rifles) 500 round minimun
for sidearm, 1000 round minimum for rifles, and 500 round minimum for shotgun.
7. 10x15 Tent, big enough for atleast 4 people comfortably and keeps the rain off your head while taking up minimal space.
8. Fishing pole, extra reel, extra line, lures, hooks, corks, etc...
9. One full sized cooler with perishables (only for the trek out to wherever you are bugging to)
10. 5000 strike carbon fire starter(s) 1 on keychain, 4 extra in bag.
11. Watersealed anystrike matches.
12. Hatchet, machete, and folding spade shovel.
13. A few of your favorite books, magazines, puzzles, paper, pens, and pencils (FOR SOMETHING TO DO for those of us who are still able to get bored in
a post apocalyptic world)
14. Plant guide of your local area and the area you are traveling to so you will know what is and is not poisonous and what is edible and what is
15. Maps of your local area and the area you are traveling to so that in case of road obstructions or checkpoints to be avoided you know your side
16. Real Spare tire or TWO! and jack and lug wrench. (Never know when that flat is gonna put you down and out without a vehicle and now would
definitely not be a good time)
17. A weeks worth of MREs (you never know when you might get stuck on your way to your bug out location).
18. Blankets and pillows. (creature comforts can make all the difference with morale in this situation)
19. Bow and arrows. (When stealth is required in hunting, recon, or assassination of persons unknown or unwanted you definitely need this).
20. (Only if you have room) One 5-20hp Gas Generator.
That about covers it for me guys and gals. I know this list may sound crazy to some of you but I am lucky in the way that I work for a taxi company
that allows us to take the vehicles home. I am either driving a minivan or a 12 passenger 1Ton van both with lots of cargo space. So I
could actually feasibly have room for all this stuff believe it or not
And the tank is always full when I bring it home so getting to our Bug out
location barring complications or obstructions should not be difficult. 8hrs due north and I'm there. Tell me what you think. And I will be more
than happy to explain myself and/or banter back and forth with some of you guys.