It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My and my families take on what it would take to survive in a SHTF scenario, Sit-x, or post apocalyp

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
First off I'd like to say I'm no expert or something but have done many hundreds if not thousands of hours of research, reading, etc.. on some of these topics. I'm quite outdoorsy and could quite literally be perfectly fine on the ground in a tent indefinitely. Whereas that's not quite "worst case" I'm fairly hearty I'd say.

I have heard people say over and over again invest in or have gold or silver because it will always be worth something.

The whole idea of gold or silver being worth something is based on rarity and the fact that a soft shiny rock is worth something to someone.

I almost feel like this idea may become obsolete with this newer generations mindset on things if TSHTF.

We have talked it over and thought that things like Whiskey, Cigarettes, Pharmaceuticals, Water, Gas, etc...would be worth more to someone than gold or silver. Reason being you can't quell those darn Nicotine jitters since "the blast" or whatever happened a couple of weeks ago with a shiny rock can you? Basically if people are dying and they need things and have things you need I know atleast I would be reluctant to accept gold or silver in return for it seeing as I can't DO anything with gold or silver or jewels or whatever!

Barter would be in full swing if people were desperate, currency systems only work in the best of times, barter comes into play when currency means diddly because people are sick, starving, or dying.

So here's my list of what my bug out would look like. *(Mind you I did not say bag, because my bug out would most likely be an entire trunk*)

*In no particular order of importance*

1. Atleast a case of Cigarettes

2. 5 fifths of Whiskey and 5 liters of Vodka

3. Iodine, Rubbing Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, Bandages, Hospital grade masks, cool packs, hot packs, pain reliever/fever reducer, Ace Bandages, High Class gas masks. (this is not all but think of this as the advanced first aid kit)

4. Sealed Hard containers of water (with purification tablets on hand) Atleast Two 5-10 Gallon containers.

5. Multiple high quality knives.

6. Atleast one sidearm, one shotgun, one hunting rifle, and one tactical rifle. (mounted scopes and bore sighting for both rifles) 500 round minimun for sidearm, 1000 round minimum for rifles, and 500 round minimum for shotgun.

7. 10x15 Tent, big enough for atleast 4 people comfortably and keeps the rain off your head while taking up minimal space.

8. Fishing pole, extra reel, extra line, lures, hooks, corks, etc...

9. One full sized cooler with perishables (only for the trek out to wherever you are bugging to)

10. 5000 strike carbon fire starter(s) 1 on keychain, 4 extra in bag.

11. Watersealed anystrike matches.

12. Hatchet, machete, and folding spade shovel.

13. A few of your favorite books, magazines, puzzles, paper, pens, and pencils (FOR SOMETHING TO DO for those of us who are still able to get bored in a post apocalyptic world)

14. Plant guide of your local area and the area you are traveling to so you will know what is and is not poisonous and what is edible and what is not.

15. Maps of your local area and the area you are traveling to so that in case of road obstructions or checkpoints to be avoided you know your side roads.

16. Real Spare tire or TWO! and jack and lug wrench. (Never know when that flat is gonna put you down and out without a vehicle and now would definitely not be a good time)

17. A weeks worth of MREs (you never know when you might get stuck on your way to your bug out location).

18. Blankets and pillows. (creature comforts can make all the difference with morale in this situation)

19. Bow and arrows. (When stealth is required in hunting, recon, or assassination of persons unknown or unwanted you definitely need this).

20. (Only if you have room) One 5-20hp Gas Generator.

That about covers it for me guys and gals. I know this list may sound crazy to some of you but I am lucky in the way that I work for a taxi company that allows us to take the vehicles home. I am either driving a minivan or a 12 passenger 1Ton van both with lots of cargo space. So I could actually feasibly have room for all this stuff believe it or not
And the tank is always full when I bring it home so getting to our Bug out location barring complications or obstructions should not be difficult. 8hrs due north and I'm there. Tell me what you think. And I will be more than happy to explain myself and/or banter back and forth with some of you guys.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonSpirit2

Personally I think this is a pretty good list. I also would have to agree with you that gold or silver wouldn't be as valuable as what you've mentioned above. I know if the apocalypse was to happen and I needed water and found people with water I would definitely trade something of mine (if I even had anything) for the water.

Being safe is way better than being sorry. Especially in a situation like this. You would want to have as much at your disposable as possible while of course not limiting yourself too much. Thanks for this thread

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Fopicon

I appreciate that thanks
And also just to point out too, a lot of people may not think that cigarettes belong in that list. However I literally know people who have lived with me in the past who are in the bottom bowels of poverty and would scrape change out of a couch, work all day scrapping metal together and turning it in for money, steal, do odd jobs, etc.. JUST...FOR..A..PACK...OF...CIGS!!!! Not kidding in the least. I've literally heard some seriously unbalanced types, like bi-polar etc...smokers say that they would kill someone for a pack if they couldn't get one. So even in a crisis once the smokers started to run low it would be like prison, cigarettes are currency there.

Shocking isn't it

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Honestly it's not really shocking at all
I was a smoker of 15 years and I have just recently quit within the past week. Did the whole nicotine patch 3 step system. I felt like killing someone for a pack of cigarettes and for the first few weeks of starting the treatment I did almost anything to get a few dollars to buy a pack. I couldn't imagine going through the whole process cold turkey.

So yeah, cigarettes would actually be of great value in a broken world like that. I know also in a few apocalypse movies where cigarettes were valued at a high price. What was it.. The Postman I believe. He found a cigarette vending machine and stated "I'm rich"

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Hey, great post, thanks for taking the time.
Excuse my ignorance, but for number 17, what is an MRE?

Oh and don't forget to grab some multi- vitamins and OTC antacids, an empty stomach is acidic. One would always like to think you'll have food, but those pesky circumstances do like to randomize.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonSpirit2

*In no particular order of importance*

1. Atleast a case of Cigarettes [color=gold]Need More

2. 5 fifths of Whiskey and 5 liters of Vodka [color=gold]Need More

3. ...Iodine, Rubbing Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, Bandages, ... ,pain reliever/fever reducer, Ace Bandages,... [color=gold]We have a case of each to start!!!

4. Sealed Hard containers of water (with purification tablets on hand) Atleast Two 5-10 Gallon containers. [color=gold]We keep 35 gallons in 5 gallon (BPA Free) collapsible containers.

Don't forget a Berkey-Style water filter. [color=gold]Keep very safe!!!

10. 5000 strike carbon fire starter(s) 1 on keychain, 4 extra in bag.

11. Watersealed anystrike matches.[color=gold]Matches will be in high demand; also SOAP!!! get a few cases of ivory[color=gold].No scented CRAP. They are dirt cheap at Wally's

13. A few of your favorite books, magazines, puzzles, paper, pens, and pencils (FOR SOMETHING TO DO for those of us who are still able to get bored in a post apocalyptic world)

[color=gold]Better to get the highest capacity possible electronic device or more with solar/hand crank/etc... power source and batteries. Books will go VERY fast; so you'll need to stay entertained in down time.

Especially kids!!! Low res movies, documentaries etc... PDF's for reference. Teaching materials.

Also, find Where There Is No Doctor & Where There Is No Dentist.

Go down that research trail and you will begin to find many 3rd world/missionary type of
self sustaining resources used currently in nowheresville.

Include foresight. My friend is looking into biofuels and 55 gal drums to produce it... and food at the same time.

Just search and you will find.

GREAT list!!! S&F Keep sharing too. So many things I hadn't thought of until someone posted.

edit on 1·8·12 by DrMattMaddix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
That's a lot of stuff to carry around.

Everyone that panics and runs when whatever hits the fan will leave tons of stuff behind after they're forced to abandon their vehicles on clogged freeways.

Best advice, in my opinion; don't panic. Let everyone else panic. Wait. Pick up all the conveniently packaged stuff that all the panicked runners find too big a hassle to carry, especially when they did very little in concentrating on fitness training so they could actually have a chance of dragging around all the stuff they've collected when whatever it is they're driving around in runs out of gas.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11

Not a problem, and that's what the MREs are my friend they are military grade freeze dried food, just add water and shake, I believe is the way they work. Meant to be just as hearty and nonperishable as canned goods I believe. So hopefully with the food I won't need vitamins, however I'm sure we'd have some anyway, I just didn't include it in the extras with the Advanced first Aid kit.
Appreciate the feedback.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
MRE-Meals ready to eat

You also need to be prepared for the desperate people who will try to take what you have

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by aprilc1

If possible, Do your best to make it seem like you don't have much. The panicky people will go for the obvious.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Well here's the cool thing I am a Licensed Massage Therapist and my sister is a Holistic Healthcare Practitioner/Nutritional Consultant/Master Herbalist who also happens to run her own soap business, soaps, lotions, shampoo, bath tablets, salts, massage oil, essential oils, organic herbal teas, etc..... she's awesome to have around I won't ever have to worry about soap my friend, I already have a 1 gallon bag full of just their samples 1inx1in have had them for 3 years. Believe me I have plenty of SOAP

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by aprilc1

That's what all the guns and ammo are for, between here and where my bugout are, hopefully I won't have to use that many bullets in skulls to get the point across that I'm not stopping to give mine to the unprepared.

It's all nice and civil now but when it comes down to it, you'll be smoking lead if you try and take me on. That's also what the 1 ton van is for, I will seriously push smaller cars out of the way, so unless they have equivalent sized vehicle to stop me or an 18 wheeler not happening!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

I'm a pretty cool relaxed cat, I was robbed at gunpoint once, completely calm and relaxed let the guys do their thing and then they left because they didn't feel like I posed them any threat because of how personable I was with them believe it or not.
That's why I'm a good LMT.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
People always forget the most useful and compact items...

Get a case of SOAP/Ibuprofin/Acetaminiphin/ExcedrinMigraine/RubbingAlcohol/Peroxide.

OF COURSE you can't bug out with cases of junk like that. BUT, if you store it wisely and as the OP mentioned
use bartering skills, those items will be FAR more valuable than gold or silver. Be wise, be fair, be wary.

You'll be trading for gold and silver. Which you can use to buy the heavy ammo and weapons later ... (or sooner)

So much depends on the environment at that time though. Can't prepare for every contingency.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
A question for anyone who can answer, if you can't buy gold or silver, would it be a good idea to keep coins?

Nickel? Dimes? Quarters?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

I LOL at the posts about how to spend a week making soap using homemade lye and lard... and I don't know what all.

If you are THAT hard up for soap ... I don't know what to tell someone that didn't think somewhat forward.

A case of soap stored in a safe, dry place will last a family of 4-6 people a year!!!

If you really have to leave your stash behind... everyone take 2-3 bars. You'll be set for weeks, at LEAST.

A clean (not stinky) hunter will bag better game (and have more pleasant spouse TOO!!!) etc...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Dragon....I used to teach survival...winter, ocean, jungle, arctic...you name it. I can tell you this...if a nuclear exchange were to happen....and I find this HIGHLY UNLIKELY....I don't care if you have a tunnel system 1000 ft down and supplies...you are going to die.

WHY? The current Thermonuclear devises that the U.S....Russia and China as well as G.B and France....are of such radioactive lethality...that there is no current air filtration sysstem capable of preventing contamination...so in other words....KISS YOUR ASS GOODBY!

On one good note....the U.S. is in the process of actually DEPLOYING the Free Electron Laser System...this in conjuction with a world surrounding SAT mirror targeting system and you could shoot down thousands of targets at the speed of light.

Most people talk about survival but most have no idea what it takes as we have become soft. To survive....100% of your time is spent trying to find food or gather wood or make a shelter or prepare animal traps. I have taught winter survival...never mind arctic...to many men and almost 90% plus drop out after a couple of days.

I am older now and this would be difficult for me to do again...but I miss it. There is something that awakens you being able to tame nature. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

If you are really serious about coins "junk silver" check the going rate and then visit your local pawn shop.

Many will have reasonable prices for bags of "junk silver" dimes and quarters and half dollars.

Ask yourself, would I trade some of my soap for these "junk silver" dimes to trade for a CheezBurger (or something else) later???

Gold and silver is easy to carry when you are scouting/lurking/hunting/traveling.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Well all I can say is we are lucky to have someone of your experience on this thread. I know you can't teach us the practical but you absolutely have my permission to go into detail about some of the points you would make if you were teaching us survival. We would be lucky to hear it of that I have no doubt. And I mean I know there are several contingencies where we would all be screwed and die! But if that's going to happen then it will. I will not concern myself with that because I can't control it. I can however control how, what, when, and where I am, my family is and what stuff I take with me that ensures I make it there and have at the very least the possibility of contributing and surviving once I get there.

That's all this is about.

This is not me trying to blend in with the roaches and hoping the radiation passes me by. LOL

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If i get any more replies with questions in them will answer them tomorrow still haven't been to sleep, getting tired now on my way to bed good night all

top topics

<<   2 >>

join