It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Base on Lockdown after sensitive technology goes missing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Nearly 100 soldiers are confined to a Seattle base following a report of missing sensitive military equipment, including scopes and night lasers, a spokesman said Sunday.

Authorities conducted an inventory last month and are trying to determine how long the equipment has been missing, he said.

Uh Oh.. these guys are in big trouble! I bet they are waiting for one of them to break down and confess...

Link to CNN article
edit on 8-1-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
scopes and night lasers..

LOL the prize item definitely wasn't mentioned

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
And what's sad is some people will actually believe that the night lasers and scopes are all that's gone missing.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
What the heck is a "night laser"? I assume they mean something like a AN/PEQ-9?? PEQ-9s are attached to the rail system of a M16 or M4, and uses an IR beam that can be seen using night vision goggles, as a type of night sight.

Way to go supply!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Huh, double post! How'd that happen?!

Since its here, might as well use it. Only 10,000 reward?! LOL.
edit on 8-1-2012 by JJRichey because: whoops!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Likely the equipment has been gone for months and the person that took it may even be out of the service.

Or some civilian worker got it while the unit was deployed

Or some joker has hidden it in the same area its missing from to see what would happen and how long it would take till it was missed.

On the navy ship i was on this happened all the time and most of the equipment would later show up misplaced.
They had a big investigation on the ship over a missing box of aviators sunglasses.
They were found a year later under a storage cabinet when the storeroom was being repainted, No one knows if they were put there or when we were at sea and in heavy weather they fell off the shelf and rolled there. But it would have been very hard if not impossible for a squire box to roll under that cabinet.

We always suspected someone put them there and planned to take them off the ship when they transferred out.
edit on 8-1-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm sure we have sensitive night gear worth guarding also... but who knows

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
A company is on lock down because some # from the arms room is missing (NVGs, PEQ-15, etc.) And this is national news because...? Reminds me of the "thousands of rounds of ammunition unaccounted for" issue a couple of months ago that most likely resulted from a miscount or misplacement of a case of ammo.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

Well the technology is likely to have cost millions.. and would cost millions more in the wrong hands. Its important we guard our secrets..

The reason this is newsworthy though is because 100 american troops are being detained....

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

I would imagine that some of the posters in this thread have been in the military. What they are saying is that this really isn't a big deal. Units go on lock down all the time, however often it isn't long. When I was in the Army, we were lucky if we didn't go on lock down after coming out of the field. Someone always lost a sensitive item such as NVGs (night vision goggles) or something else. When that happens, somebody has to go back to the training site and look for that item till it gets found.

In this situation, I would imagine that a large number of sensitive items were missing (due to the reward and length of lock down). Somebody probably stole the items and they are trying to find out who it was.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Bases go on lockdown all the time. You just dont hear about it all the time. Ive been (in the past) locked down on and off bases sooooo many times....I would just be pissed at the inconvience. Really sucks when you need to get on base, it is locked down and you need to release your bladder.....or you have an appt off base and you are locked on base and you are super late or miss it.

Yeah. Been there done that. Lots of times.
edit on January 9th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
www.courant.com...

The missing gear includes hundreds of night-vision goggles and missing weapons accessories worth about $630,000, said Major Chris Ophardt, a spokesman for the U.S. Army's I Corps at the base, about 9 miles south of Tacoma.

$630,000 worth of equipent. Most articles seem to make it sound like just a few items are gone.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Sounds like someone needed extra money for Santa this year....this same thing happened to my husbands unit over NVGs and the spouses were screaming for blood over it. I understand the anger, one guys kid was in the hospital getting surgery and he was not there....his wife was a wreck and there were others who had booked flights to go home and visit family, the flights had to be cancelled....huge mess, but all a part of what you sign up for with uncle Sam.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Ouch, they are going to be there for a while. This type of situation is unfortunate, it's most likely that someone is selling that equipment and it's never going to be found. There is only so long that you can dish out mass punishment before a units moral drops through the floor.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
CID is quite good at recovering nightvision equipment.My unit was locked down for 3 days and they got it back.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

It seems to be happening all over. how about Fort Bragg and the missing 14,000 rounds of ammo. You could say well thats not a lot they have millions of rounds all over the place. But that 14,000 rounds is almost 400 pounds. Thats not a little box of ammo being misplace some where.

articles.cnn.com...:US

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Anywhere that you can find people who want to make money something like this can happen. My guess this that there is a supplier who is looking for this equipment, it seems like it would be too much for someone inexperienced to distribute.

There is also the chance that one group is making several large purchases. It's hard to say for sure.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Like the Navy Seal was doing.

www.kpbs.org...

A federal jury in Las Vegas found an active-duty Navy SEAL guilty on 13 of 15 charges alleging he smuggled machine guns from Iraq and Afghanistan and headed a conspiracy to sell weapons and explosives in the U.S.

At least this guy went for the money.

www.militarytimes.com...

Fuller had deployed to Iraq with 5th Civil Affairs Group and worked at Camp Fallujah as a project purchasing officer handling CERP, or Commander’s Emergency Response Program, funds. Federal prosecutors alleged the officer took money from the program and made 91 separate deposits totaling more than $440,000 into personal bank accounts from October 2005 to April 2006.

All of the cases I brought up are recent past two months. They must be going after the bad apples? The one above was charges from crimes from 2005 2006.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Reminds me of the scene in the movie buffalo soldiers where Joaquin Phoenix's character is doing a black market deal with a German for mop-n-glo......black market stuff is not just cold war era though, and it certainly just isn't mop-n-glo!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by seenavv
scopes and night lasers..

LOL the prize item definitely wasn't mentioned

Prob weapon that can see and shoot through objects of various thickness.

just my guess

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join