It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA. My point of view...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
SOPA (stop online piracy act), in my point of view is the biggest bit of propaganda for the internet i have ever seen. It is a movement thats is designed to build up a huff and make as many people go 'legit' as is possible in the shortest amount of time... Lets face it, nearly everyone here is against the proposition, rallying against it and fighting for your right to watch/view/say whatever you please...

But let's face it right now right here, will this SOPA law stuff ever go through?

NO...

Look at it from where i am coming from (I am not a US citizen).

Would the USG give up millions in tax dollars they receive from the advertisements and other cuts they take from those gullible souls who spend stupid money on fake farmyard paraphernalia on Facebook. Would they see that as a result of the blockage of certain websites and such as Youtube would result in possibly a few million lost in taxes ect

The USG has more to lose than to gain from this law and they know it. Now i think you need to know it

This law will not come into place, but that does not mean we, the people of the internet should not still campaign to have a voice!

Best regards to all you ATS'rs, i look forward to you ripping my post to pieces and making everything i say irrelevant as is the norm

Good Tidings!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Interesting point, what got me wondering about all this is Biden being against it, i thought that was weird.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

Biden has a point... I would just like to point out that as the "leader of the free world", the ideals set forth by America in SOPA are borderline, if not surpassing China, Iran and N. Korea and the rest they like to call terrorists in the abuse of stakes of freedom of speech...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThorsBrother
This law will not come into place, but that does not mean we, the people of the internet should not still campaign to have a voice!

I was fully intent on letting you have a piece of my mind regarding this issue. But since you added the above quote I will keep it to myself.

Your words are definitely a possibility, perhaps even likely. However, as you have stated it does not mean we should let it pass unheard by the masses.
We should continue to fight it as though it is going to be passed, whether it is or not.

I just added this thread titled the Alternative to SOPA.

We are still looking over the legaleze and could use some help.
What you said in your OP makes me wonder of the possibility:
Are you right, SOPA is just propaganda meant to inflame the masses into accepting the bill from my post instead?

Hmmm, the OPENact certainly sounds good at first glance.

God I hate government! Shady bunch of #^@!%

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Are you right, SOPA is just propaganda meant to inflame the masses into accepting the bill from my post instead?

Hmmm, the OPENact certainly sounds good at first glance.

God I hate government! Shady bunch of #^@!%

Well, the way i look at this bill is that the Govt. want as many people as possible to turn legit and stay that way, if it woks the mass companies will spread it across the globe so that 'Nicos' in Greece wants to buy the latest Lady Gaga single but has no money to do so.... SO

Technically, the artist loses out, the record company loses out, the writer/producer ect lose out and the thousands of torrent sites lose out, everyone is at a lose, especially Nicos!

Even if this bill does pass, which i am willing to bet 100 of my queens English it won't, there will be a way around it within seconds...

But the worst part for the USG would be that alot of companies would up sticks a jack the #### away to another country...

Hence losing even more money that they need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread. Brings back a little calm and common sense.
Should we knuckle under to SOPA? Nope.
Should we get hysterical about it? Why? Follow the money as the OP says.
Great Thread!

S&F

peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThorsBrother
But let's face it right now right here, will this SOPA law stuff ever go through?

NO...

The SOPA bill has 41 sponsors in the US Senate. Meaning it needs only 19 more affirmative votes to both pass and prevent a filibuster.

SOPA sponsor Rep. Lamar Smith to SOPA opponents: You don’t matter

Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX), the chief sponsor of the ‘Stop Online Piracy Act’ (SOPA), says that criticisms of the controversial legislation are entirely unfounded, and that the online communities that oppose the bill are illegitimate.

“The criticism of this bill is completely hypothetical; none of it is based in reality. Not one of the critics was able to point to any language in the bill that would in any way harm the Internet. Their accusations are simply not supported by any facts,” said Smith in a statement, quoted by Roll Call.

Apparently he hasn't read this legal opinion

The bills’ anti-circumvention provisions don’t even pretend to limit the bill to foreign sites, and clearly the provisions apply to American sites.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Pretty much tripping himself up on his own knowledge and words....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

And that a significant part of the problem. We have people with limited-to-no knowledge of how "the Internets" function, trying to dictate how it should function with regard to copyright protected materials.

Under the current provisions of the bill, if someone finds a link buried in ATS that points to the IP address of "Pirate Bay" rather than the domain name (or some other circumvention content), our entire site would be blocked to all US visitors. It's in the bill.

For those intent on clamping down on free speech and the type of discussions here on ATS, I'm certain there is more than one piece of content buried in our 13 million posts that fit the "anti-circumvention" provisions of SOPA.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by ThorsBrother

And that a significant part of the problem. We have people with limited-to-no knowledge of how "the Internets" function, trying to dictate how it should function with regard to copyright protected materials.

Under the current provisions of the bill, if someone finds a link buried in ATS that points to the IP address of "Pirate Bay" rather than the domain name (or some other circumvention content), our entire site would be blocked to all US visitors. It's in the bill.

For those intent on clamping down on free speech and the type of discussions here on ATS, I'm certain there is more than one piece of content buried in our 13 million posts that fit the "anti-circumvention" provisions of SOPA.

And on extension to the bold/italics, pretty much every website on the WWW.

I would also like to point out that since i have "illegitimately" bought certain films, i have gone on to buy the Blu-Ray boxsets of many that i enjoy at an extortionate price, which would not have happened if i had not seen said copies

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
NOT COOL!

I just opened ATS and it said page was being "censored" by the US gov,..

you guys almost gave me a heart attack..

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Just like to add Isnt wikileaks a banned web site for a lot of people. and people can still go and visit the site using the ip address instead.

Sopa isnt really going to do much always a workaround. more people that use the workaround the more redundant the law becomes as they cant arrest everybody.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by minor007
Just like to add Isnt wikileaks a banned web site for a lot of people. and people can still go and visit the site using the ip address instead.

Sopa isnt really going to do much always a workaround. more people that use the workaround the more redundant the law becomes as they cant arrest everybody.

Well Wikileaks isn't banned in my country but you could bet your bottom ear it would be in the US and elsewhere if said law came along....

As you and i have said though, there is a way around everything, give it a week and the internets will be back as we know it.

There are two facts in this life:

1) You die

2) You can't turn the internets off!
edit on 8/1/2012 by ThorsBrother because: (no reason given)

top topics

join