It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three activists 'prisoners' after slipping aboard Japanese ship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Three activists 'prisoners' after slipping aboard Japanese ship

www.theaus tralian.com.au

THREE Australian activists have been detained by authorities accompanying the Japanese whaling fleet after slipping aboard their vessel.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society said it helped the three West Australian men from the Forest Rescue group in the "complex and daring" operation to board the Japanese vessel Shonan Maru No 2 in waters off Bunbury.

A statement released on the Sea Shepherd website says the men took a boat from shore to intercept the security ship about 25km off WA.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
These guys are idiots! Boarding a Japanese whaling ship and demanding to be released. A similar incident occured last year whereby, some people making up the Sea Shepard crew were taken hostage. It was disclosed last month that in fact, Australian Commandos and navy Clearance divers boarded the Japanese vessel and rescued thwm last year.

Now, with this incident, the Japanese ships are in Australian waters, taking these Aussie citizens hostage. This means that Australia has to intervene. Now, since this boat is off the WA coast, it means if Australia were to take the same action as last year, the SASR would have to board the ship and rescue them.

www.theaus tralian.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
well I would personally like it if they can sink that japanese ship! They need to arm the sea shepherd with torpedos.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I was in the US Navy (USS Jouette CG-29) was coxswain qualified and have tons of boat experience under my belt.

when boarding a boat, you are stepping into someone's domain. it is their boat/ship. period. and they make the rules. that is basic maritime rule.

I'm not for whaling by any means but you have to have an ounce of understanding of rules and barriers when trying to make a statement. especially in activism.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
You know, I really respect the Shepards for what they do. It's very brave and worthwhile, for the most part. This is where a line has to be drawn though. It's one thing to go wave riding around the Whalers and destroy their shots or odds of doing what they came to do. However, physically boarding their ships....what is that under International Maritime Law? Piracy? Or is there some other charge to cover it? Whatever the case, this is a step too far.

Why should Australia lift a finger? These people boarded by choice and after a great deal of effort to get there. Don't let them pull a brain dead stunt like this for sucking the Aussie military into a confrontation with the Japanese. If, like last year sounds, it's a hostage thing...That's totally different. These guys CHOSE to be there though. Tough. Let the ship take them back to Tokyo and see them pay their own flight home. That would be punishment enough with today's airfares.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

This is why Sea Shepherd's flag looks like a pirate's flag. Thankfully, for the whales, these people are not messing around.

edit on 7/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: image adjust

edit on 7/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Twice

ETA Japan is doing this claiming it's scientific research. What is really happening is the mercury infected whales are being eaten. Hmm, maybe they are testing the effects of mercury on the human body?
edit on 7/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree however, this ship is in Australian waters, so i think that Australia has to intervene, especially considering that Aussie citizens are being held hostage.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Here you go:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
edited.
edit on 1/7/2012 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
If this was off the coast of Somalia, they would have been hunted down and shot by a fleet of international boats.

Make no mistake, what the people from the Sea Shepard are doing is piracy and they should be treated as such.

This isn't me condoning the Japanese whalers either, before I get attacked.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
It was disclosed last month that in fact, Australian Commandos and navy Clearance divers boarded the Japanese vessel and rescued thwm last year.

it was? care to provide a valid source for that claim?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
To be clear, the activists who boarded the ship were NOT members of SSCS. They were members of Forest Rescue Australia.

I support their audacity. I however will openly admit that the actions of the Forest Rescue group do qualify as piracy, as do the actions of Pete Bethune in 2010. In Pete's case; however, it was a personal vendetta, so he gets a bit of a pass in my book.

I fully expect the Shonan Maru #2 to return to Japan and the three activists to go on trial for piracy. Sucks for them, but mission accomplished putting the SM2 out of commission for several weeks.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I fully expect the Shonan Maru #2 to return to Japan and the three activists to go on trial for piracy. Sucks for them, but mission accomplished putting the SM2 out of commission for several weeks.

What makes you think it will be out of action?

It will probably return to Japan when the whaling season is over

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Yeah, I think they must have big gonads.
Pete Bethune, a kiwi boarded the shonan Maru several years back and spent over two years in a maximum security prison.

Sea shepards youtube site - www.youtube.com...

They have whale spirits and are very admirable.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Mythkiller because: Added Info

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by spoor

Mate, i can't find the link, sorry. But i am sure i read about it!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoor

Originally posted by rogerstigers

What makes you think it will be out of action?

It will probably return to Japan when the whaling season is over

Mainly because, based on my very very limited understanding of maritime law, they cannot keep prisoners on board while they continue operations. I could be wrong, though.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Under international law of the sea a captain can arrest and detain a stowaway till he reaches a flag state if after calling the flag state they give him permission or orders to hold the person.
The flag state is any port of the country that the ship is flagged under and in this case means japan.

Since this ship was not a whaler but a security ship i hope they like there trip to japan months from now.

Even if a ships captain picks up shipwreck survivors and if they are uninjured he does not have to go out of his way to take them to the nearest port all he has to do is take them to his next port of call. and that is likely also japan.
and likely months away.

The only time he is required to change coarse is if they are injured and can not be treated on board.
But likely one of the Japanese ships does have a doctor and they can be transferred to it.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The whalers caught "3 unwanted fish," so they should do what all fishing vessels do... throw their asses over the side.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Under international law of the sea a captain can arrest and detain a stowaway till he reaches a flag state if after calling the flag state they give him permission or orders to hold the person.
The flag state is any port of the country that the ship is flagged under and in this case means japan.

Since this ship was not a whaler but a security ship i hope they like there trip to japan months from now.

Even if a ships captain picks up shipwreck survivors and if they are uninjured he does not have to go out of his way to take them to the nearest port all he has to do is take them to his next port of call. and that is likely also japan.
and likely months away.

The only time he is required to change coarse is if they are injured and can not be treated on board.
But likely one of the Japanese ships does have a doctor and they can be transferred to it.

However, they were in Australian waters, so international law does not apply.. Australian law applies.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~
The whalers caught "3 unwanted fish," so they should do what all fishing vessels do... throw their asses over the side.

There is a differance between piracy and murder.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join