It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.A.O.B

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hey all, something has always been on my mind and despite looking throughout the internet, I still don't seem to know the answers to what I'm seeking.

Basically alot of my family members and family friends have been part of a society known as the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes (R.A.O.B). As a child I remember hearing "oh they are at the buffs" alot, and I remember seeing a few documents every now and again...but being so young I never thought to question it much.

I'm full of intrigue now though and I'd love to know everything about them! lol, The obvious thing everyone is going to say whilst reading this is...."ask your family"....well I very rarely see any of them, and even when I did ask as I was growing up, I was just told "its nothing...., even you could join when your older"....

...I've since read a few articles on the internet that suggest's (like most secret societies" that they are doing things for the community etc. etc. they are here to help etc. etc. but if thats the case then:

Why the big secrecy?
What have they done that was good for us?

and I'd love to know, just what exactly goes on in these meetings!

Anyone out their in ATS land got any grand knowledge of this? I'd love to hear more! If they really are for the good of us, I'd consider joining them, but I can't understand why I wouldn't have been asked by now, given as I'm probably seen as the incorruptable one of the family!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Tangled2011

There's actually an amazing resource that exists that will give you all possible information about them with several links. Check it out Link

There's also a search bar here on this website that will give even better results, and insight.

* I take it back, and I apologize there is virtually no information about this specific order. I have gone through what little is there, and there is nothing that stands out. As far as secret society's go this one is pretty secretive. It's been a long time since I've put my foot so far in my mouth, and I am glad to be reminded to seek the answer before giving one. Sorry again OP.
edit on 7-1-2012 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I just have one question...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DrunkNinja

LOL!

I am against any organization that excludes Conscious Beings based on Their fleshly configuration. Consciousness is all of equal value in Beings.

Now... I am led to believe the Masons do have (segregated) groups of both genders... But... Why segregate?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja

There's actually an amazing resource that exists that will give you all possible information about them with several links. Check it out Link

There's also a search bar here on this website that will give even better results, and insight.
edit on 7-1-2012 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

I vote this the funniest reply ever

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thirdeyeflight

I vote this the funniest reply ever

I vote the edit of this so called "funniest reply ever" the best honest edited reply ever.

Sadly ignorance and sarcasm seem to be the norm in ATS these days.

Back to the topic, the only extra little bits of info. I have got from my internet searches so far are that:

1) The meetings have included rituals (but I don't know what type of rituals, why they do it or whether they still do)

2) That mason's have been suspected to have been part of these too.

I'm still hoping that their's someone out their in ATS who can help instead of ridicule.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Tangled2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

This is from 1958, but still. It looks vaguely Masonic in approach. The article contains links to rituals for 4 degrees.
www.stichtingargus.nl...

My Dad was a member. Can't say I remember much else though.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I know very little about them, but I did find a link that may be useful

www.raob.org...

I do see some Masonic symbolism here.
edit on 7-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I have been going through whats available, and digging up more, and more. As far as the more buried info I've come across so far,

Link to transcripts of degree ceremonies by level Link

In the browser you will see this /vrijmetselarij/raob_r1.html at the end of the sites url, change the r1 to r2 and so on to go through all ceremonies. I still need time to go through all site pages to dig up more info as the site is not easy to navigate. It has a lot more to it, and the english landing page for the info on roab is here

'Buffs' are placed in a circle blindfolded as the assembled membership hop around them pretending to be kangaroos while shouting "We'll Chase the Buffalo"!

These seems harmless, and it probably is, however the buffalo head is loosely tied to some satanic symbology,
and there may be more to this.

edit on 8-1-2012 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
Now... I am led to believe the Masons do have (segregated) groups of both genders... But... Why segregate?

Because sometimes you just need to hang out with the guys or girls as the case may be.

edit on 8-1-2012 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Because sometimes you just need hang out with the guys or girls as the case may be.

Well... You, maybe. I hang mostly with men, and rarely with women. And, of course, I am female in configuration (and sexual orientation), but rather male in My general Consciousness.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Well... You, maybe.

It is obviously a bit more than just 'me'.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Well... You, maybe.

It is obviously a bit more than just 'me'.

I never said it wasn't. You gave the opportunity to infer that it was Me You were speaking of. I pointed it back to You with no exclusion of others.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I never said it wasn't. You gave the opportunity to infer that it was Me You were speaking of. I pointed it back to You with no exclusion of others.

Your orginal comment asked why is Masonry typically men-only. It had nothing to do with me. I gave you the viewpoint of many of the people I know first-hand.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hi

I read through all the posts with interest. It is interesting that you have not been able to find out anything about the RAOB on the internet as there is a lot on there.

Tangled2011 asked
What is all the secrecy?
The only secrecy is the signs and passwords and anything that would like any other org as confidential such as business/financial matters.

What have they done that is good for us?
Are you talking solely about yourself or everyone? The truth is they do a lot of good, they donate huge amount of money every year amounting to thousands of pounds. The RAOB is known as a benevolent order.

What goes on in the meetings?
why not join then you will discover not only what goes on, but the secrecy and the good they do. All you have to do is find a member, and ask them if you can join. The rule is aged over 18, a supporter of the crown and a clean criminal record.

Drunk Ninja wrote

'Buffs' are placed in a circle blindfolded as the assembled membership hop around them pretending to be kangaroos while shouting "We'll Chase the Buffalo"!

Thats funny. That does not happen and if it ever did then that would have been maybe back before 1866. 1st degree Buffs are known as Kangaroos. 'We'll chase the buffalo' was a song that is no longer sung by anyone in or out of the order.

If a buffalo head is ever seen in a lodge or lodge location it has nothing at all to do with any satanic connection. It is purely a dead animals head mounted on a wall and is a Buffalo, nothing more.

Here is a link that does work that will give you the origin history of the order
www.raob-lincoln.co.uk...

There is nothing religious in nature in lodges not even satanic. In fact the two things banned from discussion in RAOB lodge is religion and politics.

If you want to see RAOB medals (known as jewels) look at this link www.raobjewels.co.uk...

There are 4 degrees,
1st Degree - Kangaroo
2nd Degree - Primo
3rd Degree - Knight of the Order of Merit
4th Degree - Roll of Honor.

This should be plenty to keep you going for a while

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
My father past away within the last few months and I received a miniature brown case with medals,certificates,cuffs,ceremonial books, and a mayor type medallion with matching sashes dating from 1922-70's it follow a mans life through initiation right through to treasurer,Vice President to president and honour roll,all with medals and sashes in his name for each step of the way.I believe that raob is a very secretive group as I cannot find much information on them.Im very interested to find out more if anyone is kind enough to help.I have pictures if anyone would like to see

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: poryu

Are you a member of the RAOB by anu chance?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Many of the sites for meetings within the UK have closed (many was working-man clubs/pubs) Since these have either been taken over demolished and houses built on most of the sites. Many lodges have become defunct, an so the R.A.O.B struggles to find new members "younger generations to join".

The R.A.O.B as stated above is a very benevolent org.

As your father was a member you should be proud, as my father was and they are mostly common folk wanting to do good for others , but also a place to chat and be with others of a similar thought.

top topics

join