It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Schools to Require College Application??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
No one said they have to go to college, they just have to begin the process of higher learning. Who cares? We had classes in HS where you had to research and apply to schools, not seeing where the sky is falling yet

While it's true that public schools have long had programs that encourage and prepare students for college, if they so choose, this is a bit new for a requirement that every student to go through the full application process to completion and sending to the institutions for full approval.

There is an additional detail that might help others understand some of the problem involved with forcing the entire student body into the full submission through approval process, complete with financial aid assistance. In my personal case in having to take financial aid, I mentioned my tuition before books and labs is about $2,100 a semester. Figure around $2,600 is what it's coming to.

What FAFSA has approved me for and is actually giving me is $6,800 per semester. If there was a place to opt out of the balance, I didn't see it. After the $2,600 is deducted, the balance goes onto the Visa Debit card that doubles as the Student photo ID and which every student where I go is required to get for precisely this purpose.

In my case, it'll cover mortgage and a couple little costs like that, which makes this possible for me with a family at my age. How's that number look to a 17/18 year old who never would have applied, because they didn't want to go....until they saw the insta-paycheck they get above and beyond the cost of tuition? The concept of immortal debt won't have much meaning at that age. It sure wouldn't have for me.

So the whole problem is they will get more college students alright.....prepared or not, they'll go for the numbers since they're forced to apply and approve anyway....and then probably fail right back out. Not before the money becomes an anchor around their neck though.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by Hawking
No one said they have to go to college, they just have to begin the process of higher learning. Who cares? We had classes in HS where you had to research and apply to schools, not seeing where the sky is falling yet

What FAFSA has approved me for and is actually giving me is $6,800 per semester. If there was a place to opt out of the balance, I didn't see it. After the $2,600 is deducted, the balance goes onto the Visa Debit card that doubles as the Student photo ID and which every student where I go is required to get for precisely this purpose.

Jealous, I don't even get that much. Dang. I get the bare minimum. Covers my classes and my books for only that semester.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
If they don't want to go to collage i will take the Pell grants

I am 61 and as soon as i sell some property and close a estate i will be buying a motor home and going to the northern part of my state to take a collage gunsmithing school.
And i will apply for any grants i can.
Since i am disabled and have not worked since 2003 getting the Pell grant should be easy since its based on earned income and i have none since 2003
My veterans disability pension can not be counted as earned income and what little i get from the estate will cover the motor home and its counted only as unearned income.

I have about 8 years of collage in the last 45 years and still have never got a degree.
and the gunsmithing school is not a degree program but a certificate program

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Umm.. I didn't ask for it, is the problem.
The website takes all the data from the app, looks at the school and program with demographic stuff....from what I gather...then spits out the number between Pell, subsidized and un-subsidized loans.

It's going to be tough to pay back when I am absolutely resolute about finishing my degree program and building the second career that will pay this debt. For someone to ride into the same situation, not having the ability to finish......the debt would be crippling, since there is absolutely no way out of it for life.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I thought you didn't have to pay back the pell grants. If you accept the loans you do. If I accepted the loans, then yes, I would had that much, but, you can opt to deny the loans. I opted to deny both loans. So, it got cut in half.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Pell is a grant, yeah. That part is a hand out. Hmm.. I was never told about an opt out provision. The FAFSA site sure didn't make that apparent. Then again, I mentioned I actually need this to make ends meet while pursuing another career so it isn't like I really hunted for that choice either. I would have thought it would be something hard to miss....but then I suppose the whole system has every inventive not to mention that. The deeper in debt, the more interest they can collect.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You log into your college website, go to your financial aid award, decline the loans and put your reason. Or, you go straight to your financial aid office.

Yeah FASFA won't tell you can opt out. But, it is voluntary.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think making people apply, that likely won't be accepted is a very misguided process. They will move forward in life with the feeling that they are not college material, so it is likely they will not pursue further education at any point. The nasty folks in government probably realize this as well. I.E. YOU ARE A DUMBASS AND NOW IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED SO DON"T GO RAISING THOSE AMBITIONS IN THE FUTURE!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Umm.. I didn't ask for it, is the problem.
The website takes all the data from the app, looks at the school and program with demographic stuff....from what I gather...then spits out the number between Pell, subsidized and un-subsidized loans.

It's going to be tough to pay back when I am absolutely resolute about finishing my degree program and building the second career that will pay this debt. For someone to ride into the same situation, not having the ability to finish......the debt would be crippling, since there is absolutely no way out of it for life.

Well if you didn't need it and you now have it, then it should be sitting in the bank somewhere. Just keep saving it and pay it back when you graduate.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

The whole thing here... the problem...is they WILL be accepted. If they don't apply to a Private 4yr or an overloaded system like Cal State, then my experience in my own case and having talked to recruiters from several other Community College down to U of Phoenix level schools is that it's one step short of impossible to be turned down since student loans are pretty much always approved (you can never..EVER..escape them. No bankruptcy...no nothing. death or payment in full is the only way on that one debt) so why not?

That's how I fear we get whole new crops of kids who don't pack what it takes to go into the pressure cooker of College where no one hands out participation awards to keep up the kid's self esteem. It's challenging, I'm finding, but also quite unforgiving for those who may not come determined and informed of what to expect. Honestly, I wouldn't have made it when I was 18, but no one could have convinced me of that back then. I knew everything, after all. Don't all kids at that age?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
You log into your college website, go to your financial aid award, decline the loans and put your reason. Or, you go straight to your financial aid office.

Yeah FASFA won't tell you can opt out. But, it is voluntary.

Thanks for the info. I just checked on my school site and there is nothing in the Aid areas that even suggest an opt out choice. Just out of curiosity (I DO need it all this semester at least) I'll go to Finance tomorrow and ask them. I've gotta be down there to pick up books anyway, so it will be interesting to see just what the procedure is when no one wants to advertise the option even exists. That really isn't right to all but erase the option from view entirely.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join