It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

keep my husband in your thoughts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Your/his story really hits home. My husband is a police officer and I pray every time he goes to work that I never get that phone call. Your husband is a paramedic though, so you shouldn't have to worry about it! It is a crazy world we live in, but it is also filled with good people like your husband and his partner.

I was an EMT for over eight years and a dispatcher. I got to be very jaded after seeing/hearing some of the worst of it. BUT....the upside of this type of service overshadows the bad. Your husband saved a young childs life, and as you can tell by this 'thread'....has reached many other people in other ways.

I pray not just for him and your family, but also for his partner. This had to have been very traumatic for him and I hope that he copes with it okay. No doubt his extended family is also rallying around you. Sometimes it is the trajedy that brings out the best in a community.

Thank you so much for thinking of us here at ATS and keeping us updated.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

HIs partner is really shaken up. My husband has worked as a medic for 5 years and his partner has over 20, he feels responsible for not keeping a better eye on the man who shot. He has come to the house to visit as well as the hospital and I have told him many times that I do not blame him and quite frankly a shutter to think what more would have happened had he not subdued him. The officer that first responded is taking it hard as well. Our family and his family spend lots of time together and he wishes he got their sooner. Everyone at my husbands work has done so many things for us in the last few days as well as many of my husbands friends on the police department.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
any word on how your husband is doing ?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I am not sure how to link to it, but I typed up an update a couple hours ago it is on page 3 of this thread. Thank you for taking the time out to ask, I truely appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Another update, fever is back and his pain seems to be getting a little bit worse, also he is saying that he had some nightmares last night and today about what happened. I have a hunch he may need to get some help in dealing with the mental aspect of this incidinent. Does anyone have any experince with post traumatice stress? That was the first thing that came to mind when he told me about the dreams.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Right now,
I think you need to give him time to process his ordeal, then bring it up.
I would not force it on him.
Really hope he gets better.
Everyone processes things in their own ways.
Just, take it slow and don't rush him.

My thoughts are with you.

Good luck to you and your husband. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers for your family.

I come from a family of law Enforcement. The thought of something bad happening is always in the back of your mind. We are group of people that have worries that others can't imagine. I remember a time when I was about 8 years of age, our doorbell rang and when my mom answered it, there was one of my fathers co-workers standing there with a bag of clothes. Before he could say anything my mom fainted and fell to the ground. It was one of the scariest times I can remember as a child. Turned out to be nothing.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
Another update, fever is back and his pain seems to be getting a little bit worse, also he is saying that he had some nightmares last night and today about what happened. I have a hunch he may need to get some help in dealing with the mental aspect of this incidinent. Does anyone have any experince with post traumatice stress? That was the first thing that came to mind when he told me about the dreams.

Thanks for the update.

He may need some help with the mental aspect of the ordeal. I'm sure his doctor at the hospital can recommend the proper people to assist him.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Be sure to communicate your concerns to the doctor, and ask as many questions as you like. Some doctors are less "forthcoming" with info than others, and some patients and family members don't really want to hear the medical details or learn up on their own condition.

He will absolutely benefit from seeking help from a trained professional with experience and knowledge of PTSD. Also, I'd be very surprised (read: amazed) if his Department doesn't already have a routine procedure in place to provide crisis counseling and help for those traumatized/injured in the line of duty.

You are in touch with his colleagues and also the police officers...seek information from them, I guarantee they will know where to steer you for more guidance on this topic.

It NEVER hurts ANYONE to get counseling. Many counselors are required to undergo it themselves. You, too, could probably benefit from it. Another resource for further info is your hospital's Patient Advocate or Social Worker (but they may or may not know their stuff...just so you are aware).

Warmest regards to you all.
--wt

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42

...... Unfortunatley I could not talk him out of watching football today, he is a Giants fan and I warned him to be careful and not break any stitches from cheering.

Good for him, at least he is doing well enough to enjoy life's "man style" pleasures.

I suffered from a collapsed lung in Aug of 2010.

It takes a long time to heal....I am still suffering from the effect of it.

Its a very slow process, but he will get better.
(if he wants pain relief......tell him I am a KC chiefs fan...so it could be worse)

And the Giants did well yesterday. 24 - 2 awesome

Since my chiefs are out if it this year......I still have to root for someone.

Sunday they face the packers.
The packers who do NOT have a perfect season because they were handed a loss by who......the CHIEFS.

Tell him I'll be cheering for his team on sunday!

OH, and get some rest....recover.
as murphys laws of combat state
"A sucking chest wound is your bodys way of telling you to slow down"

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I also worked for over a year as a support officer, where part of what we learn is called CISD (Critical Incident Stress Debriefing). Your husbands employer should have a program in place for this. In fact, everyone that responded that day (including officers and dispatchers) should all be debriefed. Typically a time is set up (either immediately after or very soon) for everyone to meet and go through a process where the event is talked about openly and everything is confidential. I would imagine that obviously your husband is in the hospital so unable to participate. I guess i shouldn't assume that your local agencies have the same programs as here in Washington State, but it is pretty much a National model that the National Firefighters and Paramedic programs incorporate.

Ask either a co-worker or supervisor of your husbands employer...if they don't have something in place, than the police department will. You can request that a support officer be sent to speak with your husband, and they can organize a debriefing as soon as he is well enough. Meanwhile, just begining to talk about it will help your husband process the event. it is critical too, that his partner and the officer that were there also be included in the formal debriefing. it is VERY, VERY NORMAL to have the problems that both his partner and your husband are describing. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with him or that he is weak emotionally. It only means that he is handling it the way most people would, and he is going to need help to work through those emotions so that he doesn't end up burying the event to come out in other, unhealthy ways. (ie anger, depression, nightmares, achohol or substance abuse)

Don't try and avoid talking about it, if itseems like he wants to. Don't be afraid of tears or harsh emotions....it is all normal.

Praying for a speedy recovery and that any possible infection brewing gets knocked out right away!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Yes, I found out that my husbands work had made contact with the group the city is contracted with to deal with events like this. They made contact with them the day this all went down. The group is waiting to talk with my husband until he is out of the hospital.

Found out today that my husband is coming home tomorow. Chest tube is out, doctor says he is healing slowly but healing well. They are keeping him today to make sure that no fever comes back. He is going to be scheduled for physical therapy next week. The owner of the company will be keeping him on payroll and paying him his normal wage the whole time he is gone. Everyone my husband works with has been amazing. My husband has said that when he gets home tomorow he will be making a thread about the incident. I am sure he will have more details and information than I had.

Thank you for everything ATS, I think I will be making my own account on here, I really like what I have been seeing. I just hope it wont mess things up since we only have one computer at our house. I dont know what the rules are for multiple accounts from the same computer.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Yay!! Great news.

You can make a second account, but you might get a question about it. Just point out to them that you are two people in the same home who have accounts.

Cheers! And another hug!! To all 3 of you!!
--wt

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

.......I just hope it wont mess things up since we only have one computer at our house. I dont know what the rules are for multiple accounts from the same computer.

you might get a msg like this

ATS Terms and Conditions of Use: 16c.) Multiple Accounts: You will not create multiple user accounts and "talk to yourself." Please let me know which one. The other will be permanently banned. greeneyedleo Forum Moderator

just explain to them that you are two different people. They should be able to see the difference in interests/ points of view....etc, and realize you are two different people

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Just send a message to the mods and tell them you want to create your own account. The rule about multiple accounts is to prevent the same person from making several accounts and star and flag their own posts. I am fairly certain it is within the T&C to have multiple users within the same household as long as they use their own accounts and don't "pad" the other one!

But I would run it by the mods just to confirm. Just goto the tools button at the top of the page. And then complaint...yes,,I know it isn't really a complaint, but it will go to a forum only the mods and site admins can see Tell them your situation, and that now you would like to join. There should be no problem with it, but do it just to be on the safe side.

I'm glad your hubby is better enough to come home. It's also really nice you like us enough to want to join us! Just fyi...not everyone here is as nice as this thread has been...but don't let that discourage ya! I look forward to seeing you both on here real soon!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Blessed Be. He is coming home.

So glad to hear your family will be reunited tomorrow. Bet your Dear Daughter is so excited to see her Daddy soon.

Still sending Prayers for Health, Healing, and Serenity.

Thank You so much for keeping us posted. You are a good Wife and Mother.

Bright Blessings,

Des

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Blessed Be. He is coming home.

So glad to hear your family will be reunited tomorrow. Bet your Dear Daughter is so excited to see her Daddy soon.

Still sending Prayers for Health, Healing, and Serenity.

Thank You so much for keeping us posted. You are a good Wife and Mother.

Bright Blessings,

Des

I would repeat what Destiny said.

Blessed be and I hope your reunion with your husband is a special one.

You are a good Wife and Mother.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Yay!!

I'm sure he will feel much better once he is home!!

I figured his employer would be setting up the debrief. Glad to hear it is being taken care of. It is SO important!

Prayers to you all.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333

Your husband will be in the prayers of my family. It was the prayers of ATS that helped save the life of my infant son in 2010. The loving collective intent of ATS is an awesome force.

Dear brother, I am happy to read the good news about Constantine, thanks for let us know.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I don't think I know your husband but am sending healing thoughts his way and hope he gets better soon.

Also hope the child he was treating is okay and taken away from such a abusive parent.

Hang in there and best of luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join