It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA Reveals Its Top 10 Catches of 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
TSA and the searches conducted by their employees have been under constant fire in the last couple of years. Many question whether these searches are actually helping to stop terrorism, or if they amount to harassment.

These are what TSA feels are the most important "catches" of 2011.

Decide for yourself if dealing with TSA when flying is benifitial to safety or not.

www.emergencymgmt.com...

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) released a list of its top 10 good catches of 2011. “Some are dangerous, some simply look dangerous and can cause major delays, and others are just plain weird,” spokesman Bob Burns wrote in a post on the TSA’s blog.

The top 10 include:

10. Snakes, turtles, and birds were found at Miami International Airport and Los Angeles International Airport.

9. A science project shut down a checkpoint in Omaha. According to another TSA blog post, the college student “had no way of knowing his improvised mint tin would look like an improvised explosive device on our X-ray monitor.”

8. An artfully concealed non-metallic martial arts weapon called a “tactical spike” was found in the sock of a passenger at Pensacola after being screened by a body scanner.

7. Inert landmines were found at Salt Lake City.

6. A stun gun disguised as a smartphone was found at Los Angeles International Airport.

5. A flare gun with seven flares was found in a passenger’s carry-on bag at Norfolk.

4. Two throwing knives concealed in a hollowed out book were found at Washington National.

3. More than 1,200 firearms were discovered at TSA checkpoints across the nation in 2011.

2. A loaded .380 pistol was found strapped to passenger’s ankle with the body scanner at Detroit. “He forgot it was there,” Burns wrote in the blog post.

1. Small chunks of C4 explosives concealed in a tobacco can were found in a passenger’s checked luggage at Yuma International airport. “He was bringing it home to show his family,” Burns wrote.

I have to admit that I'm surprised at the number of firearms discovered at TSA checkpoints. TSA has obviously made some mistakes in the past, but the safety of people choosing to fly is important. Just looking at the number of firearms discovered, I do feel that to some degree, the increase in security over the years may be something we just have to get use to.

.....and who would even think of trying to bring C4 on a plane?....pure ignorance

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Q:How much money did they spend for all these catches?

A: Way too much!

TSA = Epic fail!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I call complete BS, this is a disinfo agent trying to make tsa look good! The stats make NO SENSE, 1200 guns were not discovered, if so why would they tell you about indivudal cases in the top 10 catches? Rethink your logic before you post stuff like this, tell your boss his idea sucked. Don't believe everything you read, think about it first.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Who brought landmines on an airplane, or attempted to? That's quite funny.

As for TSA, I don't feel any safer. Can't even protect my own bean bag from them.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
TSA does NOT make you safe, they radiate you, touch your private parts, touch your CHILDRENS private parts, and fine you when you do not cooperate, these are a bunch of thugs and they say it's for our protection and people believe this? WTF grow up!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Pumastar

I'm just passing the news to everyone my friend....nothing more...I don't support TSA at all, but unfortunately security is required at airports.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I call BS.

1200 guns?

Even before the rape stations people just kinda knew that you will set off metal scanners at the airport with a gun. I mean really? People are just not as stupid as the Govt. wants us to believe.

I believe this might just be propaganda to justify themselves.

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Im inclined to believe its 70% BS.

People who fly know better after ten years under the Gestapo.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJDoggie84
reply to post by isyeye

Q:How much money did they spend for all these catches?

A: Way too much!

TSA = Epic fail!

I think their numbers are high IF they even caught that many guns etc. They want every day people to see this and think WOW ! The TSA are really helping out. We should give them more money and keep them around. NOT. I agree TSA= FAIL

Q:How many people will actually believe they caught all this?

A: Way too many!

TSA = Epic fail!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pumastar

Get over yourself. Not everything is a conspiracy. I'm guessing you forgot to take your meds today

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Personally, I can't fly anymore unless all the pretty co-eds have been given full body checks. And I won't fly on a plane unless every elderly passenger has had their colostomy bag checked.

/sarcasm off/

The TSA is the biggest waste of money since High School Musical!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It appears to me that the TSA is not catching any more people than security did prior to 9/11. A lot of the things found on the people are things that could have been found with a standard metal detector like airports had installed prior to 9/11.

Personally I found this to be a great example of why TSA is not needed.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

Get over myself? Please explain yourself. No I don't take meds, maybe you do and maybe that's why you can't see my point? And yes, meds are a conspiracy too. But please tell me, what is a conspiracy to you my fine feathered friend? EAD!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
It appears to me that the TSA is not catching any more people than security did prior to 9/11. A lot of the things found on the people are things that could have been found with a standard metal detector like airports had installed prior to 9/11.

Personally I found this to be a great example of why TSA is not needed.

You make a good point, and your right. Prior to 9/11 we caught stuff like guns and some, though not all explosives etc. They main problem with the US TSA is it tries to rely, as its an American tendency to use a technological fix or band aid so we can punch a bottom and have a screen say "Safe or NOT SAFE" No matter how advanced gadgets alone will not solve all our problems.

We need to do security much closer to how Israel does it. That involves profiling. And while bigots and your average idiot may do that because the job lets them carry a gun at the moment, any person who profiles purely for anti-group or religious or ethnic bios is quickly spotted and eliminated from a good training program. But lets be honest. How often have you have heard of a bunch of Dominican Nuns trying to blow up a plane? Not that anyone dressed like a Nun gets an automatic pass... It's based on subtle observation of behavior, and it works. Best when combined with neat technology. But the later is not the holy grail.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You've got to be kidding if you think your average high school dropout TSA agent is going to stop anything, other than granny with her walker.

One time I went on the plane with a depth finder for a boat. This is a 2 inch diameter round thing about four inches long, epoxied up with a cable coming out of it that goes to a box with four knobs on it. I was thinking there was no way they were going to let me bring it on the plane. The dimwit agent looks at it, and asks, "What is this?"

"A depthfinder for a boat," I replied.

He looked at it for a moment, turning it over in his hands. "OK"

I was dumbfounded. I wanted to slap him in the face with it and say, "Don't let me take this on a plane!"

But of course, I took it on the plane. I needed to get there with it.

If there were actually some "terrorist mastermind" these dingbats would not slow them down. It's a complete farce. Gestapo.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I don't know why people haven't starred or flagged this thread so I'll start.

S&F gets it out there people. Please help the cause.
Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
There is no evidence any of the weapons found were going to be used on the plane. Taking weapons on a journey could easily have been common place long before they started doing these kinds of checks.

The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack were thousands times less than the chances of being killed in an accident of some sort or from using prescription medication, before they brought in these kinds of checks.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
There are a couple of these that do ring a bell to me having heard before. But come on....1,200 firearms? That's more than 3 a day EVERY DAY.
If they were really finding that many weapons each day we would have heard about it long before some random end of the year statistics.

Seems like each day TSA finds a new way to tick me off. And I haven't even flown in almost 6 months.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Then...they go and specifically talk about ANOTHER incident of finding a firearm. Why was that one so special it needed it's own reference number?

1,200 found, but here's one extra we'd thought we'd mention to make our selves look even better....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Oh wow...I almost forgot about this one....the famous cupcake incident just a few days before Christmas. That has to rank up there in the top 5 catches at least by them this year.....

I could go on and on.....But instead..I'm just gonna go to bed....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join