It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama defends government forcing people to buy insurance to SCOTUS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Hopefully SCOTUS get one right and totally refuse that BS argument.

Obama lawyers defend healthcare law in Supreme Court

Administration attorneys, in court filings and at a briefing, said Congress was within its constitutional powers in requiring Americans to buy insurance by 2014 or pay a penalty, a centerpiece of the law known as the individual mandate.

The law's opponents have argued that Congress overstepped its authority and have raised the hypothetical question of whether Congress next could require that all Americans eat broccoli because of the nation's obesity crisis.

Yep. Arguing that government can FORCE you to buy something because it's for your own good would open a big door... that you don't want opened. What will be next.. buying GM cars? Buying government bonds?

Ruling this summer :

The Supreme Court has scheduled three days of oral arguments in the legal battle for March 26-28, with an election-year ruling expected by the end of June.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
America... "the land of the free"... yea right.

Thanks to our elected traitors, er politicians, our freedom is going bye-bye.
edit on 7-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Lets just hope and pray that SCOTUS gets this one right!

(even though I do like broccoli)
edit on 7-1-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

What would happen if the person couldn`t afford to buy insurance , just does not have the means!

Would the Gov then pick up the tab, or debtor`s prison,..

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Could you imagine the founding fathers faces if they could see just how far we have slide from the framework they set up so many years ago.

Even Hamilton would be ashamed.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Yep. Arguing that government can FORCE you to buy something because it's for your own good would open a big door... that you don't want opened. What will be next.. buying GM cars? Buying government bonds?

They are already doing that, with the bailouts. You are forced to pay to bail out those companies, with your tax dollars, you don´t have a say in it.

Your examples are Ironic indeed, as GM has already been bailed out (www.foxnews.com...)

Not to mention all those bank bailouts, which is essentially the same thing as bonds.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
WELL the government forces us
to buy and have car insurance
so this not some new concept
of the government making people
buy some type of insurance.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

If you choose not to own a car, then you don't have to.

But this is different. Just by breathing, you'd be required to purchase insurance.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by popsmayhem

If you choose not to own a car, then you don't have to.

But this is different. Just by breathing, you'd be required to purchase insurance.

its pretty hard to get by without a car. and you cant have a house unless you pay property tax but you can always live on uh, park bench, no wait that is illegal too. basically prison is the only free ride, wait no its not. nothing is free in america except sitting on a park bench between the hours of 8 to 8 pm. tell me one way to make a living that doesnt involve a soul sucking corporation or a heavily taxed property. you cant even sell vegetables on a street corner without a permit and even then you cant sell it anywhere.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

You're right.
Can't argue a single damned point.

But I will fight each and every damned fee, charge, surcharge, tax, revenue that the government wishes to impose.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

its pretty hard to get by without a car.

It's doable. I lived without a car for years. And even now I have a car and I use once every two weeks and I could even not use it.

and you cant have a house unless you pay property tax but you can always live on uh, park bench, no wait that is illegal too.

Uh, there's places there's no property taxes.

tell me one way to make a living that doesnt involve a soul sucking corporation or a heavily taxed property.

There's plenty of ways. Ever heard of doing your own business?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Yeah, I hope the SCOTUS gets this one right too....and upholds the individual mandate.

See how silly it is to claim you know what ruling is "right" or "wrong".

How about this...I will respect the SCOTUS ruling no matter what it is....how about you???

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Its also doable to live without health insurance but the government is not happy with that argument. Tyranny comes in incrimental steps. Without having a social security number it is harder for the federal government to track people down, with it and the control grid tightens. by forcing people to buy car insurance it conditions them to think they also need health insurance. all for your own "good". With universal healthcare in place, who knows maybe next they force mandatory life insurance on people. after all if a parent dies without health insurance, that is an endangerment to the kids, so why not have a law forcing people to buy life insurance? Incrimental steps to tyranny.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

How about this...I will respect the SCOTUS ruling no matter what it is....how about you???

Nope. SCOTUS ruled in the past that African Americans were subhumans. Screw SCOTUS if they rule against common sense.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Nope. SCOTUS ruled in the past that African Americans were subhumans. Screw SCOTUS if they rule against common sense.

Bingo!

SCOTUS is as falable as any other aspect of government.

Just because they interpret something some way (Roe vs Wade) doesn't mean you have to accept it.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Nope the SCOTUS will not get this right the simple fact it has been shot down left and right and the Federal Government is God now.

Yep people are going to stay on their mommy and daddies insurance and never before in the history of this Nation the American citizen is going to be forced to buy a product because the God Government deems it so.

If people could afford insurance think they would already have it but what do i know oh well just liberals knowing better what to do with your freedom and your money better than you do.

Obama care aka the Care Act the only way we are going to get rid of it is is a change in Congress Republicans and the Potus but people will scream they just hate women and children like they always do.

They also scream and shout that the Republicans are for Big Government the simple fact of history as it has been shown so many times that falls of deaf ears is the the Democrats have historically grown Government to God like levels.

They control the land you walk on the air you breathe the food you put in your body and now your health when will people say enough is enough?

Never because it always falls back to petty politics and of course Obama defends this that's what fascists do.
edit on 7-1-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well considering the bang up job this administration has done on employment how can the average American afford the individual mandate? Not to mention the fact that our wonderful legislatures are still in their own separate insurance scheme. I still wonder how the transition for newly elected congress persons will be handled. This so called mandate has a vary obvious class divide built into it. So it seems a little shakey on whether it is constitutional or not.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Maybe if he has a hard time convincing the SCOTUS, he can just use the Republican argument for this. I think Newt made it best back when Republicans liked the idea. All those old Republicans that the TEA party got rid of like Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney.
That was close.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Do you know anyone that has never, or will never need healthcare in their entire life? I am trying to find this superhuman myself. At the moment when someone with no insurance gets sick or injured, WE ALL PAY FOR THEM. Under the individual mandate, they will have to pay for their own ass.
Your argument against this is...
I mean speaking as the conservative you so obviously are.
Why should I have to pay for anyone else to get healthcare?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Anyway this whole debate about health care is rubbish since the US will go bankrupt considering the insane fiscal policies the US government is running.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join