It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Come to the Well, take a drink of the Living Water.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

The people I generally got along with were the people who had served as missionaries in other countries and they seemed to appreciate how fake our culture is and not be so hung up on appearances.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Christians make that claim... he did not.

The Jews FULLY understood the Hebraisms He used, tragically they get lost in translation from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English and from Eastern Hebrew culture to Western culture.

"17But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

18Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God."

John 5:17-18

I kindly suggest reading as much as you can on the subject of Hebraisms.

Hebraism is the identification of a usage, trait, or characteristic of the Hebrew language. By successive extension it is sometimes applied to the Jewish people, their faith, national ideology, or culture.

edit on 8-1-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

17But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

18Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Look at the next verse....

19Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

The Father is always greater then the son... not equal.

Considerng you can find many instances where he is amazed his followers don't understand him... why would i care about the cultural idioms they might or might not have understood?

edit on 8-1-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I never said the Son is the Father.

And the Father glorifies the Son, the Son glorifies the Father, and the Holy Spirit glorifies the Son continually at all times.

The Father is always greater then the son... not equal.

You're trying to make doctrine from Christ's example of ultimate humility, honor, and love. That's why I strongly suggested learning about Hebraisms, the Jews knew exactly what Christ was saying, it infuriated them and every time He mentioned it they sought to murder Him for blasphemy.

Please friend, study Hebraisms. It cannot kill you.

edit on 8-1-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I don't know what NOTurTypical is talking about and I seriously doubt he does either and is just parroting something he heard in a YouTube video from his cult leader.
Something I learned from reading books by actual biblical scholars, rather than frauds and charlatans is that there is , or rather was, a debate among people who were of a bent to study rabbinical literature back when the events portrayed in the Gospel of John was portraying happened, which was whether The Lord kept working into the Sabbath in the first week of creation, or if He had began resting on the sixth day, meaning Friday in today's language. One side of the argument was that The Lord was working along and at some point during the seventh day, he decided to rest. What makes this question seemingly important to these people back in the time of Jesus was if The Lord had a special exemption from His own Law, the rabbis believing that the Torah was a magical thing that existed before God and He had to read it to figure out what to do and how to act.
Jesus by doing what he did and saying the things he said, on the Sabbath, would have been an indication to these self proclaimed "doctors" of the Law, that Jesus was claiming for himself the same exemption from Torah that The Lord had to do on the first Sabbath, thus making himself to be God Himself.

edit on 8-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I don't know what NOTurTypical is talking about..

Cool, that in essence means what follows next in your post is an argument from ignorance. Kinda why I linked what "Hebraisms" are.

Here is a Proverb especially for you:

"He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him." ~ Proverbs 18:13

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

cool, that in essence means what follows next in your post is an argument from ignorance.

No it means you are just throwing out terms without having any understanding of them but think it sounds cool, having see them used on a blog you looked at.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

cool, that in essence means what follows next in your post is an argument from ignorance.

No it means you are just throwing out terms without having any understanding of them but think it sounds cool, having see them used on a blog you looked at.

Wikipedia isn't a "blog".

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by DaphneApollo

The people I generally got along with were the people who had served as missionaries in other countries and they seemed to appreciate how fake our culture is and not be so hung up on appearances.

The West in general is like this, hung up on materialistic things, status, monetary accomplishments. Missionaries don't have time or resources for such. Whatever happens, God will lead you right to where you should be.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Just a note: This thread was not meant to revolve around Whether or not Jesus Is God, it's about Christians and their behavior towards others, setting examples, talking the talk and walking the walk. Lead by example but don't shove it down others throats. God is Love and so Jesus came and showed love, forgiveness, kindness, healed the sick, His Synagogue was outside in the fresh open air and available to all who would listen to him. They didn't have to pay an admission fee to be blessed and taught about God and His deep undying love for all his creation.

"He who is without sin cast the first stone", forgiveness, it's the Christian thing to do!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join