It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would happen if, people were cut off from benefits?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I would imagine that crime would probably skyrocket if there were no benefits, especially among those who need the benefits (not just referring to the physically and mentally disabled). Either that, or this possibly:

Originally posted by Amaterasu
reply to post by rubbertramp

One misconception the MSM promulgate is that if the Feds stop the human services, they will vanish - but in fact...

If the Feds stop, the states will spend the money directly and will have vastly more to spend because the money is not being collected by the states and sent to the Feds, who pay lots of "administrators" and then sends what's left back into the states.

In many ways, taking the programs out of the bloated federal system would be a great boon.

Somewhat off-topic here, but I believe there should be some reform for welfare, to make sure it can't be as easily abused. I should also add that unless you've been poor yourself, shut up about the poor being lazy and leeching off of the taxpayer, especially if you've been given advantages and priveleges that they've never had.

Now i'm not saying that there aren't some on welfare who fit that bill, but saying that all poor people are like that, is really simple-minded and naive, and really shows how out-of-touch you truly are.
edit on 7-1-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-1-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by Manhater
She's 16 now, but when she's 80, she'll still be living in her SIMS world. No way in heck, would she ever be responsible enough to live on her own, drive a car, or take care of a child.

Why is that? She will never be able to drive a car or live on her own .. BECAUSE SHE PLAYS VIDEO GAMES? What?!!!?

She's MR, Autistic, and has Bipolar tendencies, with a little of Dysfunctional Schizophrenia. Her brain does not function, like you or I. At 16, she acts, talks, writes, like she is 2 years old. I don't see her having a developmental stage where she will ever be responsible enough to ever take of herself. Someone will always have to be there to help her. She understands some things. And she is very smart when she wants something. If she wandered on her own, she would either be in a fight, or won't know, how to come back. For her, situation, she is best to have a some type GPS on her at all times.

SIMS keeps her calm.

Game I think, teaches her bad things.

Like how to be bad, with the bad karma. Teaches you to be mad and angry at people, teaches you how to set your house on fire. and that is very scary to me considering how her mind works some of the times.

Today, she got off her game, and read a barbie book out loud. Been very adamant about that for the past couple of days. With doing nothing, getting in trouble everyday, being bad with her tantrums, and I told her, that I wanted her to read 1 chapter a day. She did it without me asking her. Hopefully, she will do it everyday. It will make her learn and read properly. I was very proud of her today.

But, you have to be repetitive, everyday with her, and the repetitiveness, can be up to like 10x in the day.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. I'd wager the same folks that want to see americans starve because they cannot see ten ft from in front of their faces would be begging for help if their lives collapsed around them.

I wish you degenerate scum and your children the worst possible fate.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

that makes sense to me. a friend has a girl who has a severe case of downs syndrom, she is 14 now and really can not be left alone.
she is usually ok, but if she has an episode there is a good chance of her hurting herself or worse.
instead of games, it's their 2 dogs that actually keep her calm. my buddy swears the one black lab acts different if an episode is near.
btw, they recieve help for counciling and other issues for her.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

We are trying to get her counseling but, she throws a fit, every time she has to leave the house. As soon as it is time to go, the tantrum starts. She refuses to go to school, refuses to go to doctor appointments, refuses to get up, refuses to get off the game, depends on her day.

If she don't want to do nothing, She don't want to do nothing. You better believe it.

You have to con her with nuggets and fries all the time.

She's has till the 28th of this month to get straight and stop being against us and working with us if she wants to stay here. Or, DSS will forcefully take her. Officers have been here on a constant basis ever since she came down.

It's hard, but I wish she would compromise with us and stop being so rebellious. Not good for her and not good for her mother. She's hurting her mom but doesn't see that, because she thinks she's in a game.

She will straighten up every time an officer is present though. Which tells me, she does know right from wrong.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

that is a tough one, the only thing that comes to mind is a home visit, but i don't know if it is even possible.
kinda' like home nurse visits for the elderly, but a councilor for your kiddo.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I know it's slightly different here in the UK, but there's been a huge over hall of the benefits system and even if people are on job-seeking based benefits... if they haven't found work within a certain time, they will find it for you only you have to go do it free or lose your benefits.

Not 100% sure how it works but I think it's a 2 week trial, you impress, you get hired, you fail you get found somewhere else to work 2 weeks for roughly £60/week benefits.

The whole point is, is that those bums who can't be bothered will not see it as working for £60/week they will see it as working for £0/week because they assume that if they don't want to, they don't have to.

It sounds all good in theory, but lets hope it all works.

On the other hand looking and the benefit changes, I know someone personally who (I know I'm not a professional) can't work. They've been on disability allowance for a good number of years and looks after a disabled son, but under the new reforms, everyone on (the sick), disability allowance, has to go in to see a government independent doctor and well, yeah, they've been taken off the sick.

I totally agree with taking people off the sick who don't need to be on it, but it all sounds kind of like high powered high horsed people with no empathy of whole situations purely going off a check list rather than individual needs, but then I guess so many people are on the sick it needs to be done quickly...

You know over here, you can get a car with the tax and MOT paid for for stupid things like ADHD? I know someone who has one for ADHD. If you get that benefit you can either get a brand new car (every 3 years) or something like £120/week or a month, not so sure...

I remember a policeman telling me that 60% of the cars he pulls over are DLA cars and it's mainly kids as young as 17 driving them.

Benefits are good but they're definitely not used effectively.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

i never understand comments like this.

I wish you degenerate scum and your children the worst possible fate.

you mention that some want people to starve, and then basically wish them death.
puts you in the same catagory, imho.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
With over 140 million Americans on the Government dime a 15 trillion dollar deficit and the real number of promises made that can never be paid for over 120 trillion with the big 3 SS,Medicare,Medicaid,welfare,free educations,free homes.

Would be a good thing oh the horror how will people ever take care of themselves no wait Neo your so stupid that's the Governments job to rob from the rich and give to the poor makes no nevemind that the money train has stopped.

And nope for over 200 years long before the social engineering where Americans were smarter and richer right up until The Government and the cradle from the grave pushers came about.

Nope there is no such things as charity its all about the entitlements today.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
So if Ron Paul was elected he will jump start the constitution and abolish all welfare programs to cut deficits. He will bring about Armageddon for the poor and needy.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

I am with you !!! It warms my heart to so many on this thread that agree with entitlements being a huge magnet for laziness. I worked 2 jobs when I had to, it never crossed my mind to get "assistance". Both of my girls are going to school full time and working 2 and 3 jobs. I would crack their arses if they ever thought of going on the dole. And what is wrong with people who can't make ends meet working for the help until they get on their feet and it shouldn't take 99 months either. Get 3 jobs flipping burgers. I was at BJ's warehouse yesterday (just one example of hundreds) this girl in front of me, maybe 20 years old, Victoria Secret sweats, UGG boots, LV scarf and using $200 in food stamps....sent my blood boiling. One of these days I'm going to let loose and probably get myself shot.

And not to mention they usually buy sirloin and I have to buy chuck.
edit on 7-1-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

No, because working people's taxes go to support the poor not the "government's" money and if my taxes were lower I would start spending more and they would have to get a job and they would spend.....that's what would happen.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

Call me a cold hearted byotch but that is where Dawinism and survival of the fittest come in.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

But there isn't a "pool" it comes from the employers and the taxpayers and now people can collect for 99 months, it's theft as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

But there isn't a "pool" it comes from the employers and the taxpayers and now people can collect for 99 months, it's theft as far as I'm concerned.

sorry, but i've made a lot of replies in this threat, yet don't remember mentioning anything about a 'pool.'
can you remind me?

eta, wait, i think i did mention something regarding workmans comp, that is something that the employees pay into.
edit on 7-1-2012 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Amen, Beezer. Don't forget, these benefits have only been around since the 30's and were supposed to be temporary. That is what family, church and charities are for. We forgot that in this country and think the government have to take from the haves and give to the have nots.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Oh, sorry I didn't quote it.....you said it's one thing if they pay into an unemployment pool...maybe you meant disability...which workers do pay into.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
"yes, don't get me entirely wrong here.
i think those who have paid into the unemployment pool, deserve something back if their job is lost. it's the extensions and refusal to take lower jobs that drives me nuts." Rubberstamp

...and I do agree with you!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

got ya', yup, that was me. and yes, i should have explained better.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

I know you were replying to someone else...but I take the same view as them. I have been poor, then did well and am going downhill again. So I can speak on this subject. Also, even if I never was poor, being a taxpayer gives us the right to complain and also to do something about it. It is not the government's money it comes from us!!! We have every right to say who can or cannot get it.

I never took a dime from the "government" taxpayers. I just kept changing jobs or working more than one. I cut expenses and ate ramen noodles.

I am not talking about legal disability that comes out of your pay while you were working. Which I never took either, even though I have a heart condition and fibromyalgia.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join