It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are these sunken ships full of chemical and biological weapons being affected by oil rig disasters a

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Learning of these ships sunken decades ago, which caused a widespread public and media reaction, and rightly so, I could not help wondering if, since they STILL contain containers of chemical and biological weapons - in contaminated cake mix, in one instance - and are sitting in deep holes drilled to bury them on the sea floor around the area between Florida and the Bahamas, earthquakes and explosions of oil rigs could affect them, perhaps causing dispersal.

Some of these agents were encased in concrete containers, and are also highly-weaponized forms which can easily escape through any cracks from weathering, or stresses upon their ships, buried in the active sea floor, rapid shifting pressures through earthquakes, and even explosions which shake them and open any minutes seams which may have occurred since then.

Your thoughts, ATS?

en.wikipedia.org...

Could this operation be what is producing some of the unexplained phenomena like this?

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

And the equally mysterious sudden disappearance of the dead fish in Norway:
www.youtube.com... (Note: the video creator has a time-line theory, but I am using this source just for documentation of the sudden disappearance of the fish, thereby preventing testing, and other knowledge- or data-gathering from occurring quickly).

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Note to Mods: please move this thread to a more appropriate forum as you see fit. It seemed good for weaponry and for military forums, but as I am focusing on the particular area of the ocean between Florida and the Bahamas, and realize these ships are in a place that could theoretically be affected by the Haiti earthquake and perhaps the BP explosion, it seemed best to begin here.

I did not find Operation CHASE in an ATS search, but if I missed it, please move or delete this thread. Thanks so much.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
is it just me or is it a really stupid idea to store weapons in the sear floor?

they do the same thing with alot of nuclear waste, but most of the time its inland and on bedrock..

not a smart move imo.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Honestly,

I wouldn't doubt it.

Not like it's going to stay contained all these years, has to release sometime. And depending on how many containers there are together, it would so totally cause a chain reaction.

Who knows.

Good post.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

Very interesting, I was unaware that Operation CHASE even existed. Although the "mysterious foam" everyone keeps posting is nothing more but dead and decaying plankton. (Read on Engadget about a week ago.) The washed up fish was on VG.no (or Dagbladet.no) with a mundane explanation. I don't think these ships have had anything to do with either cases.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Thanks for the reasonable alternative explanation of these phenomena. It gives my appalled mind a foothold, at least.

If they haven't dispersed, it seems urgent and expedient to get them properly handled before they inevitably do.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

So many chemical and biological weapons have been developed its probably beyond anyones control to stop them killing people. The only way to really get rid of such things IMO is to add other chemicals that changes thier make up and makes them non toxic. But unfortunatley this costs money, there is no manoy in making something safe.

This is just one of many reasons why money is the root of all evil and why we were doomed as a species when momey was first introduced. Money breeds greed.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Wouldnt people be dying and melting instead of frolicking around in this foam? Plus it is my opinion that if these chemicals did escape, they would dissipate into the mass amount of water long before hitting the shore, but just my opinion

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I can feel the sadness and rage in your words and we know that the majority of us share it. Therefore, as a majority, when using terms about who values what, it is useful to define terms.

Amazingly, when one strives to be as specific as logically possible, with a dose of bias for humanity, we can find a greater truth in this observation.

Let us analyze: more of us are at risk from these chemicals than run the businesses or military branches or government. As the movement of awakening continues to blossom, inevitably cleaning up and neutralizing these threats will become exquisitely important and precious, most valuable of all knowledge, or pretty close.

See what I am getting at? It won't be about how expensive it is to clean it up, it will become cheaper than the destruction possible to dwindling resources in light of other threats that may not be able to be neutralized.

The less of a thing, the more valuable it becomes. There will never fail to be a market for clean water and aquatic creatures and plants. As more die, those with solutions will be heralded as the saviours of mankind, and many will struggle towards that achievement, I think.

The person or people who neutralize this threat will be praised by all people, won't they? Even those who have had no reason to praise anything or anyone will benefit from this, and will rejoice at the achievement.

My prediction, on the premise that there is enough time.

Further, if it can be empirically proven that these agents are out in the currents and appear definitely on shorelines, international pressure would force a solution of some kind to be found. At great cost to the initial victims.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Copperflower because: To add

edit on 7-1-2012 by Copperflower because: spelling mishap

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I doubt that the sunken ships you speak of have anything to do with the mystery foam or the dead fish in Norway but you should know that the U.S. was not the only ones dumping live ordinance and chemical weapons into the sea after WWII.

You might want to look into "Beaufort's Dyke" at; en.wikipedia.org...

Beaufort's Dyke is the sea trench between Northern Ireland and Scotland within the North Channel. The dyke is 50 km long, 3.5 km wide and 200–300 metres deep.

Because of its depth and its proximity to the Cairnryan military port, it became the United Kingdom's largest offshore dump site for conventional and chemical munitions after the Second World War; in July 1945, 14,500 tons of 5-inch artillery rockets filled with phosgene were dumped in Beaufort's Dyke.[1]
Munitions have subsequently been washed up on beaches in the area. In particular, in 1995, incendiary devices were discovered on the Scottish and Northern Irish coasts. This coincided with the laying of the Scottish Northern Ireland Pipeline (SNIP), a 24-inch gas interconnector being constructed by British Gas.

Another place where the English dumped there leftover munitions was called "Hurd's Deep" and you can check it out here; en.wikipedia.org...'s_Deep

Following the First World War Hurd's Deep was used by the British Government as a dumping ground for both chemical and conventional munitions. The SMS Baden was scuttled there in 1921. Following the Second World War it was used to dump military equipment, munitions and weaponry left behind by the ousted German invaders of the Channel Islands.
Hurd's Deep is the final resting place of HMS Affray which sank in 1951.[1]
Routine dumping of British munitions carried on until 1974.
Between 1946 and 1973 the area was also used for the dumping of low and intermediate level radioactive wastes.

There must have been numerous other sites as well, who knows what the Russians did with their leftovers?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I'm sorry I can't give any direct links so you can read up on them yourself. But I'm sure if you search "foam beach" or "foam in england" on Engadget you'll find the same video and explanation. VG is atrocious when it comes to search and I never find what I'm looking for or else I'd give you a translated article.

But of course they could be wrong. I can't for the life of me believe that just dumping all those chem's in the ocean like that is healthy for anyone!

Keep up the good threads Copper. We don't know what's out there unless we look.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Hey, that means a lot coming from you especially, Front. I have felt the same about your posts, that they both inform and help keep a continuous attitude of gut checking along with fact checking. Both are crucial. I won journalism awards with that approach when I was a cub, lol. So thank you and all who do this work. For free

Now, on to the next thing: this IS just the tip of the iceberg, but what I have learned is so vast and so horrific, and on such a scale, the responsible thing to do was to start at home, with the US.

The amount of this activity is so overwhelming, it would be cruel to dump it all out here at once, impossible to read through in any amount of time, and just too big to even discuss. So, a humble US citizen would begin there, so as not to be in the stone-throwing business, but in the tough business of denying ignorance, beginning with me.

But, here is a start for those with a strong stomach. Each probably deserves its own thread, but why not just address this specific instance as a test case, being our problem at this point anyway. The discussion has to start somewhere to ever end up at our goals.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 8-1-2012 by Copperflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There is a band all the way across the ocean that is littered with explosives from torpedoed convoy ships.

They have had to repair the transatlantic cables and there ROVs have found some of the cable running right through masses of explosives bombs shells and ammo of all types.
Or in one case a ship full of explosives with a major fiber optics draped over it.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I did not find Operation CHASE in an ATS search, but if I missed it, please move or delete this thread. Thanks so much.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

hi very interested in learning more about the Hurd Deep trench in the channel as im from that area. also iv seen some stuff from greenpeace but no video footage of whats down there.
if anyone knows anymore can they please post or pm me

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Okay first of all there are no oil rigs anywhere off the coast of FL or the Bahamas so the idea that an oilrig explosion could cause any type of incident is moot. Secondly these ships are at such a depth that any leak of chemical or biological material will be so diluted by the seawater that it will pose no threat. Also at the depth of these ships there is very little oxygen in the water to oxidize the containment systems and pose any real chance of a failure of containment. Think of the various shipwrecks around the world in deepwater that are preserve immaculately such as the Titanic. Or even the 1715 plate fleet and the 1732(?) Coin fleet of Spanish origin that are sunk near the same area off of FL. While most of these wrecks are within a half mile of the beach, some are in 250'+ of water and are so preserved that you can still make out the grain on the wood and engravings on the cannons.

The only real threat for a breach of containment would be from a major shift in the seabed which would be very remote considering there is no fault line near the area. So no there really is no threat from these ships. There is literally a higher threat of having 20 planes crash into chemical plants all in 1 day at the same time that earthquakes hit every nuke plant in the nation.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Hurd's Deep (or Hurd Deep) is a deep underwater valley in the English Channel, north west of the Channel Islands, at position 49 degrees 30 minutes North, 3 degrees 34 minutes West. From marine navigational charts, the maximum depth is 172 metres, and lies to the north of the isle of Alderney. It is most probable that it was named after Captain Thomas Hurd RN. by Admiral Martin White (born at Hayling Island, 1779).

Following the First World War Hurd's Deep was used by the British Government as a dumping ground for both chemical and conventional munitions. The SMS Baden was scuttled there in 1921. Following the Second World War it was used to dump military equipment, munitions and weaponry left behind by the ousted German invaders of the Channel Islands.

Hurd's Deep is the final resting place of HMS Affray which sank in 1951.[1]

Routine dumping of British munitions carried on until 1974.

Between 1946 and 1973 the area was also used for the dumping of low and intermediate level radioactive wastes.[2] [3]

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Thanks for your authoritative answers!

However, you only considered US companies, lol. How Western-centric! (tsk tsk)

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

And from Florida about a month ago....
www.nwfdailynews.com...
edit on 19-3-2012 by Copperflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by OceanAtlantic

Thanks for your valuable insights.

2nd

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join