It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The human mind can be blown from three things:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I was actually talking to a friend of mine last night about the third thing I'll be posting in a moment. If you really stop to think about it, it's definitely the kind of thing that makes you basically go D: and
simultaneously. At least for me and those I've told this to, we've been mind blown to the point of "Make it go away now." I post because it's almost 4am and I'm giddy tired and had to share. xD

So, the three things the human mind can be blown away by attempting to do:

I. Imagine how huge the Universe really is.

2. Imagine how small the smallest thing not even yet discovered by man is.

And here is number three. I know some of you will be all, "But dark matter!" but seriously. Just go along with this. It really does make you think if you just take it as is and try to imagine it. I mean, we all know the universe will be here for quadrillion of quadrillion cubed to the 10quadrillionth power of eons of millenia on end. Still. Take this as a silly fun 'what if' scenario and just roll with it.

3. What if the entire Universe just one day went "poof"? I mean gone. Absolutely nothing left. Not a solitary thing. No atoms, no nano anything, no dark matter, even the space between galaxies and stars is gone. Not a single solitary thing was there anymore. Would it be a forever infinite sized void? Forever divided by zero?

My brain still weeps over this. I can NOT imagine a forever void of nothing ever. Can you?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
3. What if the entire Universe just one day went "poof"? I mean gone. Absolutely nothing left. Not a solitary thing. No atoms, no nano anything, no dark matter, even the space between galaxies and stars is gone. Not a single solitary thing was there anymore. Would it be a forever infinite sized void? Forever divided by zero?

My brain still weeps over this. I can NOT imagine a forever void of nothing ever. Can you?

Maybe the universe is rythmically going from singularity to duality and back, you know, breath in - breath out....

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Hah, that's actually a pretty decent reply!

Can't wait (and I hope others do reply) to see what others say. I love picking minds and helping people think, even if it is stretching the imagination.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
i would like to propose a fourth: check out the solo on the woodstock version of hendrix's 'voodoo child'.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
When I sit down and think about how long the universe has been here, how long the earth has been around and how long i'm going to be around, i feel so small in the grand scale of things. It's a little depressing and mind opening at the same time.

Thank you for reminding me im nothing, again.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Good question...
but I think I still have more trouble imagining it as infinite than a void

Now go get some sleep!!

edit on 7-1-2012 by jewells because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
For all we know, our entire universe is that smallest thing not discovered by some other beings in another larger universe.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Explanation: S&F!

Uhmmm?

Yes! OL CAN imagine it and have done so before and so fear not as I am here to help guide you through that ok!

It is this simple ...

0] Nature abhores a vacuume [including a vacuum of laws ... ie the Nothing! ] and can construct anything to fill that lack.

1] All possible sets [aka Nature], including a null set [ie ..even before the big bang singularity existed ... the Nothing!], MUST observe themselves so as to maintain integrity of themselves otherwise the wouldn't be a SET!

2] All Observers AUTOMATICALLY invert their own wave function and collapse it to a reality! 0% (NOT!) = 100%

3] This means that a zero sum reality [ie the Nothing!] observes itself and finds itself in conflict with the 0th law and inverts itself from 0% to 100% and no energy to infinite energy thereby construction the big bang singularity, which by also carrying the momentum of creation [ie the directional arrow of time] and being everything and everywhere already and having nowhere else to go was forced to fold inwards and outwards of itself dymanically and it does this about 1 x 10^43 plancke seconds everysecond in about 11 total dimensions!

So the answer to whether it would be an infinite infinitesimallly non sized void forever the answer is generally NO as it automatically observes and recreates itself ...but also YES as specifically nobody can count a zero amount of time and so this goes completely unnoticed.

Hence the bare minimum in QM is the value of 1 which is called the Eigenstate. [wiki]

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Something that always messed up my mind was thinking about the fact that, for all we know, there may have never been a point of "nothing" and then "something". Like, people claim there was the Big Bang or God created himself but what if there never was a point when God or the Universe didn't exist?

I know it is impossible to suggest that something could be without first being created but I would assume the Universe would not be limited to things such as "possibilities".

It just always was.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
For all we know, our entire universe is that smallest thing not discovered by some other beings in another larger universe.

These other being might even be about to experiment on a universe collider with our own universe to find out whats in it and how it works so they can find the answers to the mysteries of their universe! lol

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Something exists for sure. Even if it is all a figment of the imagination then imagination must exist.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Wow interesting analogies but as regards to question number 3, I must point out to you that these thoughts are not what I would call healthy in the sense of trying to imagine nothingness. Our reality whether it be illusions of physical matter still consists of something for our brains to process. It is like asking someone to imagine not imagining if you catch my drift. What is sad though is that a majority of the human population has never even come across such topics open for discussion and for that I urge you to continue picking at minds as go about your life. Unconventional thinking is something I feel should spread like a virus so that "average" people can start to formulate conclusions for themselves instead of being goose-stepped into circular patterns of thought that keep them numb and misguided..

Regards

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Its like that final scene in men in black were the picture zooms out to show planet earth and continues to zoom past planets, galaxies, and finally our universe to only be inside of a small marble that is one of many used by some alien as a game of some sort, Pretty much metaphorically sums up how vast and uncomprehending space and what dwells within it is.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
When our minds get over awed with the infinate Universe then consider that on all the planets where Intelligent life exists they may well too get over awed.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
ugh #3 reminds me of thinking about death as a child...

This is what I was afraid even heaven was like....

Puts a terrible taste back in my brain

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
One thing that always blew my mind is trying to think of a new color. This is something I have spent time doing and trust me, it is impossible.

I do not mean a new name of the color, like pasta white or doodoo brown. But a new vibration on the light spectrum. Can't be done. Try it. Can't be done.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mcphillyj
One thing that always blew my mind is trying to think of a new color. This is something I have spent time doing and trust me, it is impossible.

I do not mean a new name of the color, like pasta white or doodoo brown. But a new vibration on the light spectrum. Can't be done. Try it. Can't be done.

Yet by using 3 primary colours the range of possibilities for tones is also mind blowing.
In the dye industry there are hundreds of shades of black for example - Black being a mixture of all colours
But yes I too have tried to imigine a new colour which is not Red Yellow or Blue based and simply cant for all fall into primary colours in different values or combinations

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
imagine stop existing...

i.e. if i stop existing, will the universe go on?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by m83x1
imagine stop existing...

i.e. if i stop existing, will the universe go on?

Imagination is not Reality but Reality can be manifested through imagination
It is not possible to stop exising from a soul perspective but you can keep very quiet and hide in hidden corner of the far flung Universe

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833

2. Imagine how small the smallest thing not even yet discovered by man is.

3. What if the entire Universe just one day went "poof"?

Well, there you have the smallest thing you could ever imagine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join