It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirates Surrender To US Navy After Attacking Iranian Fishermen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is a great story in my opinion.

The US Navy saves a fishing vessel after they had been overcome by pirates. Regardless of international tension, the US military comes in to do the right thing and is even hugged by the Iranian captain to show his gratitude for their actions.

I believe this is a feel-good story that shows our military is not heartless, and the Iranians are not gung-ho against Americans.

Take it for what you will.

MSNBC Video

edit on 6-1-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Truly an awesome story...........I hope people still know that there are good people in uniform out there...

However its not the Iranian people anyway that dislike us, its their gov IMHO

If this had been the other way around, the Iranian Navy would have new "CIA Hostages"

sorry for my cynicism but......yeah
edit on 6-1-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Very nice and heartwarming but doesnt change the fact that I'm paying 40 more cents per gallon than I was a week ago.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

The Iranian government may dislike the US, that is true. Is it not also true that considering their actions, our own government dislikes us as well?

Where do we draw the line between impending war and diplomatic reason?

reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

The gas price around here is the same as the week prior. I don't know what your local prices are, but you are obviously being gouged.

By the way, it helps if you talk nicely to the local gas station attendant. I usually pay 15 cents less than the posted price for gas just for having a good relationship with the lady at the counter!

edit on 6-1-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: damn, I can't spell today!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

L
L
look at 'em just lap up the propaganda:shk:

of course it's staged/social-engineering, feel-good propaganda

1st
somali piracy is a desperate last ditch effort at survival against western genocide

JOURNAL: A Global to Local to Global Criminal Example

Nice tersely worded example on how predation by the global economic system helped drive Somali piracy. From David Axe: www.warisboring.com...

Recall that Somali piracy has its roots in the 1990s, when the collapse of the Somali government threw open the doors to major foreign fishing companies to illegally enter Somali waters and fish out all the tuna, which once comprised one of Somalia’s major commodities. The first Somali pirates were fishermen who decided to render a “fine” on any boats they found illegaly fishing Somali waters. Well, guess what. Piracy has effectively cut in half tuna hauls for major foreign fishing companies working near Somalia, according to Warships International Fleet Review. Today piracy is essentially organized crime, at sea. But the piracy mafia has inadvertently accomplished what the original pirates set out to do. Somali pirates have every reason to be proud. Whether on purpose or not, they have defended their waters while evading the combined might of the world’s navies.

Technology driven connectivity makes it possible for these "remote" groups to take the fight back to the global system. Remember, in a flat globalized world, everyone is in competition with everyone else. There aren't any meaningful barriers. We are going to see this dynamic again and again...

If you find yourself alone and naked in a global gun fight -- tribe up!
source: globalguerrillas.typepad.com...

JOURNAL: Guerrilla Entrepreneurs take to the seas
globalguerrillas.typepad.com...

Some thinking on Somali pirates:

Seal snipers took out three Somali pirates and freed an American hostage held in a lifeboat. What's interesting to me is the decision making process used to resolve this minor problem. Here are some of the aspects. Firstly, there was a timer on the hostage stand-off. Other pirate groups/ships (an open source insurgency with commercial drivers) were en route to surround the lifeboat or take control of the hostages. Secondly, this minor decision involved a highly centralized decision making loop that included the President, the Commander of CENTCOM, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of State, the DoJ, and the White House/NSC -- just to pull the trigger on three kidnappers holding a hostage at gunpoint. Lastly, one of the biggest fears of the US government is that these pirates would be arrested. Why? Since Somalia is a mess, they would become wards of the US, likely suffer only minimal jail time, and eventually end up applying for US citizenship.
The symbiosis between private insurance and privateering dominates. If the company that owned the rescued ship wasn't a US defense contractor, its kidnapping insurance company (likely Lloyds) and its designated crisis representatives (likely Control Risks Group) would have negotiated to pay the pirate's fee to get the hostage back -- as are thousands of kidnappings from Mexico to Colombia to Nigeria to the Gulf of Aden are settled every year. Somali pirates have made tens of millions this way already. Further, in many parts of the world, kidnappers are almost never caught/killed (

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
We've talking about Gov't against Gov't... Not people vs people.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Calgarian hit the nail on the head with that statement..

Even if what happened was all staged, consider the following..

This story is nice to see when the world is submerged in all the ongoing warfare, but what it really shows to me is how catastrophically incompetent and backwards minded our own state department and people like Ahmadinejad are...

World leaders are expected by their own respective peoples to represent them in a way that should help bring a good life to them... These are the things they talk about in order to get elected (in democracys and representative republics, etc.), but instead, because of the greed for power and money, these leaders are bringing about destruction to their peoples...

And one of our own naval ships with definite good thinking people on it, went in and did something which is much closer to what every nation on earth should always be doing... (caring for, and helping each other when people need it)..

And because of the incompetent and greed/power driven leaders of our nation and theirs' this same ship might be ordered to rain some destruction down on their kids and old folks tomorrow... sad isn't it..

The motives behind these ongoing wars easily illustrates the folly of it all, but the massive propaganda machine driving it all forward is what seem to be making it impossible to reverse..

just some thoughts...

edit on 7-1-2012 by alienreality because: eta

top topics

join