It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
For regions inside the polar circles, the lengths of the time when the sun is below the horizon varies from 20 hours at the Arctic Circle and Antarctic Circle to 179 days at the Poles. However not all this time is classified as polar night, since sunlight may be visible because of refraction. Also, the time when the sun is above the horizon at the poles is 186 days. The numerical asymmetry occurs because the time when the sun is partially above the horizon is counted towards the "daytime". Also, the above numbers are average numbers: owing to the ellipticity of the Earth's orbit, where the South pole receives a week more of sun-below-horizon than the North pole (see equinox).
Originally posted by ModerateSkeptic
About the actual prediction:
If something blocked the sun for three days, we would all freeze to death.
If the earth rotation stopped.. etc then it would only be three days of darkness in one place, and three days of light in another (not what the predictions claim).
I can think of at least one possibility though:
If something blocked only the visible frequencies of the sun's light.
Originally posted by Julie Washington
THE PROXIMATE SIGNS
1. Flouting of church laws, irreverence and immodesty in church, fall in attendance at church.
2. Lack of charity towards others, heartlessness, indifference, divisions, contentions, godlessness, pride in human knowledge.
3. Breakdown of family life: immorality, adultery, perversion of youth (e.g. homosexuals giving lectures in schools), immodest fashions (e.g. mini-skirts and hot pants, bikinis and see-throughs), people concerned only with eating, drinking, dancing and other pleasures.
4. Civil commotions, contempt for authority, downfall of governments, confusion in high places, corruption, coups d'etat, civil war, revolution. (The first four proximate signs have already come to pass, at least partly; for we are yet to see civil war and revolution in the West. But the sequence of events is not strictly chronological; there is room for some overlapping. Thus, the 5th proximate sign seems to have begun also.)
5. Floods and droughts, crop failures, unusual weather, tornadoes, earthquakes, tidal waves, famines, epidemics, unknown diseases (e.g. new strains of viruses).
Originally posted by Pelvi
What if its this simple. What if the "3 days of darkness" is actually just what naturally occurs on December 22nd? I'm sure you ALL know that on December 22nd of every year the sun gets to its lowest point in the sky and for 3 days is stays in this same position until December 25th. What if all of this is just mistranslations for the understandings they had of the year, and these "3 days" was how they knew it was the end of the year. Just food for thought.
Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Julie Washington
ok - simple question - please outline the scientific mechanism which will cause 3 days of darkness