It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UCSF Analysis : Philip Morris USA manipulated data on the effects of additives in cigarettes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I think we all know by now how bad cigarettes and the additives put in them are for our body.

Here's more evidence of how bad the companies selling them are

www.plosmedicine.org...
www.sciencecodex.com...

A new UCSF analysis of tobacco industry documents shows that Philip Morris USA manipulated data on the effects of additives in cigarettes, including menthol, obscuring actual toxicity levels and increasing the risk of heart, cancer and other diseases for smokers.

Tobacco industry information can't be taken at face value, the researchers conclude. They say their work provides evidence that hundreds of additives, including menthol, should be eliminated from cigarettes on public health grounds.

By investigating the origins and design of Project MIX, the UCSF researchers conducted their own inquiry into the Philip Morris results. They stressed that many of the toxins in cigarette smoke substantially increased after additives were added to cigarettes.

They also found, after obtaining evidence that additives increased toxicity, that tobacco scientists adjusted the protocol for presenting their results in a way that obscured these increases.

"When we conducted our own analysis by studying additives per cigarette – following Philip Morris' original protocol -- we found that 15 carcinogenic chemicals increased by 20 percent or more," he said.

Additionally, in the independent study, the researchers discovered the reason behind Philip Morris' failure to identify many toxic effects in animal studies: its studies were too small.

In the new study, the researchers used documents made public as a result of litigation against the tobacco industry. The documents are available to the public through UCSF's Legacy Tobacco Documents Library.

The obvious misrepresentation by Phillip Morris highlights the greed of these tobacco companies.

They don't want to sell you a safe product, they want your money, and to send what little money you have left after buying their poison to the pharmacutical companies when you get sick from their product.

If you smoke......quit now while you still can.
edit on 6-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
"They don't want to sell you a safe product, they want your money, and to send what little money you have left after buying their poison to the pharmacutical companies when you get sick from their product.

If you smoke......quit now while you still can."

People don't need scientific research and studies to know the harmful effects of smoking

Just ask a smoker what its like a few flights of stairs .

People want to smoke they will , they know the danger , they know its poison , but do it anyway...

Why ?

They just don't care , can't be ignorance because they all have had loved ones suffer from smoke related illness.

It makes them feel good , the health effects arent really an issue to them till older age. They assume they will be dead by then anyway.

i used to smoke for 10+ years pack a day

Didn't care about health , even though i knew it was bad . I did it cause it made me feel good .

Why did i quit?

because i told people i would
on principals , not because i wanted to leave it . I loved it

As for the data minipulation , scientists can be bought these days easily , those scientific ethics apply to a few.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Cigarette are deadly, anyone who ignores that fact gets no pity from me. It's not a matter of how deadly.

I was a smoker for 6 years (sometimes 2 packs a day), and I never bitched about how the cigarettes made me sick sometimes or gave me a horrible cough. I knew smoking was bad when I started, and knew it was my fault not the tobacco companies. What next? People gonna grill Mazda because cars are deadly?

I quit smoking because it was deadly. What I didn't do was keep smoking and smoking until I eventually got cancer, than blamed everyone but myself. If you smoke and get cancer, it is NOBODY'S fault but your own.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Gee no kidding.

They should ban the use of addictive agents in cigarettes...sell NATURAL tobacco, and if those bastards don't like it, they can go out of business.

And cigarettes are deadly... but some people got a natural resistance from it... hell my grandmother has been smoking for 70 years and she's alright... no cancer, nothing.

But she can't quit...

edit on 6-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Gee no kidding.

They should ban the use of addictive agents in cigarettes...sell NATURAL tobacco, and if those bastards don't like it, they can go out of business.

And cigarettes are deadly... but some people got a natural resistance from it... hell my grandmother has been smoking for 70 years and she's alright... no cancer, nothing.

But she can't quit...

Nicotine is found naturally in tobacco.

Nobody "can't quit". Because it's hard doesn't mean it isn't possible. Your grandma doesn't want to quit.
edit on 1/6/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Mythbusters found a cigarette filter gains 3 times its weight after the cigarette's been smoked and the filter has absorbed the chemicals.

If you smoked tobacco without a filter all that junk would fill up your lungs. Everybody knows that.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Grow your own tobacco, dry it, and smoke it.

I used to support American Spirit until they sold out...

At this point I just want to be able to legally grow and smoke my own plants... not buy them from a government bought agency.

new topics

top topics

join