It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths Climate Unraveling?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I had to post this because I am seeing it with my own eyes! Here in Montana it is like spring time or early fall. The weather is phenomenal! But, on the other side, I have never seen a winter like this here, and everyone I talk to says that it is very very very strange.

So, Tell us about your Weather! is it weird, cooky or strange.

Or tell us how were all nutters
and this is just a normal phase that will pass quickly.

January 7, 2012 – More than 300 record high temperatures were set in 21 U.S. states Thursday. But the heart of the unusual warmth concentrated in Plains, where some areas experienced temperatures 40 degrees above average. Several locations set all-time January record high temperatures, including Huron (65 degrees) amd Mitchell (68 degrees) in South Dakota (SD) and Minot (61 degrees), Fargo (55 degrees) and Jamestown (56 degrees) in North Dakota. (Source: CapitalClimate). What distinguishes this warm spell is the amount by which some records were broken. Consider Rapid City, SD hit 73, obliterating the old record by 13 degrees. (That 73 degree high temperature was 4 above the high temperature of 69 in Miami, Fl). Aberdeen, SD reached 63, smashing the old record of 46 by 17 degrees and setting a new monthly record. AccuWeather highlighted the following incredible record: “…in Philip, S.D., the mercury reached a balmy 74 degrees, which absolutely obliterated the old record of 46 set back in 2002.” In Minnesota, several locations reached the 60s for the first time ever during the first week of January. Alexandria reached 55, crushing its old record of 38 (from 1984) by an amazing 17 degrees. In Nebraska, record highs were set in Omaha (66), North Platte (69), Valentine (69) and Imperial (73, source: USA Today, AP). Sidney Nebraska’s record high of 74 broke the previous record of 62 and tied its monthly record. Record highs were also set throughout the state of Iowa, several by at least 10 degrees. –WPB , Duluth News Tribune
WPB , Duluth News Tribune

Enjoy the winter chill before scorcher summer sets in. The year 2012 may turn out to be among the top ten warmest years globally, and in the country, since 1850 – over 160 years. The year is also expected to be warmer than the previous year, which was the ninth warmest year for India since 1901. Weather scientists have predicted that 2012 is expected to be around 0.48 degree Celsius warmer than the average temperature or the long term global average. However, he added that the new predictions about 2012 need not be a cause for alarm in the country. According to the weather department’s analysis, while 2011 was the ninth warmest year since 1901, 2010 was the warmest year on record since 1901. The other warmer years were 2009, 2007, 2006, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1998, 1999, 1958 and 1941. Temperatures were generally near normal over most parts of the country in 2011 except parts of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura where these were above normal by over one degree Celsius. Indian weather scientists said that generally La Nina, the weather phenomenon which is likely to cause higher temperatures in 2012, has positive impact on monsoons in India.
–India Today

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

This thread is in no way saying the World is going to end! Its just a crazy time.
edit on 6-1-2012 by princeguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
60's today..but this is not really unusual..I have seen upper 70's in january a few years ago..usually we get our crappy weather in february and early march and then we see real spring

We have had a pretty mild winter so far..but like I said we get these every couple of years.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by princeguy

It's been a rather mild winter here, I'm not complaining though. It's almost like moving to a more temperate climate while still remaining at home.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I live in SoCal normally its always like this except for winter times so very strange 85 degress wen normally 70-mid 60s even night time has been reasonably warm. I HATE IT
only cause I need snow to board

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by andyr1112
I live in SoCal normally its always like this except for winter times so very strange 85 degress wen normally 70-mid 60s even night time has been reasonably warm. I HATE IT
only cause I need snow to board

I Know!!!!

I bought a season pass and there is barley enough snow up there to go!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

They were forecasting on Air 1 this morning that we should expect some fairly significant unpleasantness to make up for it before too long, but it has been lovely.

Picnic weather out there yesterday...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
here in Ireland over the last few years, records have bein broken from the cold weather, each year got colder and colder to -17c which was the coldest recorded. this year its broken the record for the mildest winter yet. and were having a higher than normal amount of storms than usual with one being the second strongest in a few decades.
so ya, weather has changed a lot here....

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Thats what I've been afraid of! This could be the calm before the storm!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The weather in Michigan has been very mild and we've only had some snow dustings in SE Michigan this winter so far. There's cabbage still growing in my garden and my strawberry plants are still green and leafy.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I believe Accuweather ran an article that said the usual colder winter was expected to kick in around mid January. There were diagrams of the jet stream and examples of El Nino and La Nina.
It has been pretty mild here, especially compared to last winter which was truly extended cold for Northwest Florida!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I live in Wisconsin, the I believe the high was 55 degrees, which is very unusual for this area. Snow has been almost non-existent as well. Very strange, but I'm kinda digging it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
All-normal-here

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
East coast South Carolina has been very warm all winter. We usually have decently cold windy winters. Usually an average 40-50 degrees fahrenheit.. This year its been in the 70s most days, shorts and tees.. warmest winter Ive ever experienced here!

As i've said before, I hope this is just an abnormal year and not a precursor for anything worse..
edit on 7-1-2012 by ZardoZx because: I said something redundant

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
it's been oddly mild here too. we don't have super cold winters but it's never 70 in january! this summer we a had CRAZY hot summer. broke all sorts of records (two straight months over 100 degrees and NO rain). it's snowed two winters in a row (that's odd) and even though it's warm right now i suspect we will get snow again some time in february. last winter is the first winter i have ever in my life had a pipe freeze. luckily it didn't break. i'm kind of afraid of what this coming summer is going to be like.

the climate is rapidly changing and i don't think many of earths creatures can adapt quickly enough. including me!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I live in Winnipeg, in Canada. "Winterpeg" winters are normally harsh - 40 below in January is not uncommon - but most of the last few weeks has been downright balmy. Yesterday and the day before it was over +5 celsius.

....But have noticed lots of variation over the past 7-odd years. Some years amazingly warm with early spring - sometimes the reverse.

These extreme fluctuations seem to result more from climate change than normal "weather" variations.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm in Northern Illinois , while a "mild Winter" happens , it usually means , a little less snow , no days below zero , that sort of thing.

Today , it is the end of the 1st week in January and it's sunny and 52 degrees out!! Also we've had many days nearly like this. I felt at first like the UK was getting our weather and us theirs .

I wouldn't say i'm shocked but it definitely has me curious.

I just hope this isn't a pre-cursor to a nasty , sweltering,record breaking Summer.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
i know that part of this should be due to the jet stream but the fact that it's more spread out than that is very unusual.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
I'm in Northern Illinois , while a "mild Winter" happens , it usually means , a little less snow , no days below zero , that sort of thing.

Today , it is the end of the 1st week in January and it's sunny and 52 degrees out!! Also we've had many days nearly like this. I felt at first like the UK was getting our weather and us theirs .

I wouldn't say i'm shocked but it definitely has me curious.

I just hope this isn't a pre-cursor to a nasty , sweltering,record breaking Summer.

The last time we had a winter like this--and I don't know a single person who's complaining--we ended with the Great Blizzard.

It's weather, not climate folks. You'll have mild winters and you'll have brutal ones. My mother still tells the story of going to church on Christmas Eve in short sleeves and no jacket or sweater when she was a kid.

La Nina has a lot to do with it.
edit on 1/7/2012 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

When I was about 10 or so I remember being out in December in shorts..it must have been around 1985 or so..I don't remember for sure but I remember being on christmas break and going out to play.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join