It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evangelicals step up efforts to find alternative to Romney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The love-fest for Romney isn't a universal thing. Next Friday and Saturday, a number of Christian conservative leaders will be meeting in Texas to try and unite behind a single candidate. They're hoping to get solid numbers to their new candidate (whoever it will be) in time for the South Carolina elections and the long term strategy is to get significant numbers on Super Tuesdays.

The three top contenders for the title (according to the article) are Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and Rick Perry. They're aware that one of the big mistakes in 2008 was that they didn't get their constituents behind Huckabee and McCain ended up on the ballot.

How the splintering of like-minded opponents is helping Mr. Romney was illustrated on Friday by the results of a CNN/Time poll in South Carolina, where, as in Iowa, religious conservatives are an especially important component of the electorate. Mr. Romney was the choice of 37 percent of all likely voters. Mr. Santorum was at 19 percent and Mr. Gingrich, a former House speaker, was at 18 percent. Mr. Perry was at 5 percent.

This Washington Post column highlights some of the problem -- are they going to vote for a Mormon who shares their values (having been taught Mormons are not Christians) or a Christian who doesn't share their values.

Time willl tell.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Well geeze.. It's the 3 stooges to choose from. I didn't realize Paul was hated among the Christian coalitions too? Interesting on that... Well, given who is choosing, I'll predict they come out with Perry on that short list.
Perry strikes me as a man who would look at Jesus like a man who needed some schooling on Faith. Ugh.... This is how Obama wins in Nov. If they manage to actually get a Repub candidate that is WORSE.... Oh, who would have thought it possible?

join