It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tip of the Iceberg: Despite past violations, GEO gets contract for mngmt of S. TX Detention Ctr.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well, this is just fine and dandy. It appears that an abusive system is rewarded with more government money.

www.americanindependent.com... -center

The GEO Group, a Florida-based private prison operator, announced last week the inking of a contract with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement “for the continued management of the company-owned 1,904-bed South Texas Detention Center located in Pearsall, Texas.” According to the company’s press release the five year contract, effective through November 30, 2016, is worth $45.0 million “in annualized revenues at the full occupancy level of 1,800 beds.” Global Security News reports that the total contract is worth $236.2 million.

Private prison opponents have criticized the decision. Bob Libal of Grassroots Leadership told the Texas Independent that because of Obama Administration policies, private prison companies continue to receive lucrative contracts despite their history of civil rights abuses.

“Because the administration seems to be determined to detain and deport record numbers of immigrants – the vast majority for only minor offenses, ICE continues to contract with troubled private prison corporations like GEO Group for facilities like Pearsall,” said Libal. “ICE should prioritize release and non-restrictive alternatives instead of mass detention in for-profit prisons.”

GEO has been the subject of criticism and involved in several lawsuits over abuse and other civil rights violations. Justice Strategies, in cooperation with Grassroots Leadership, has operated a blog that highlights the operations of GEO Group and other private prison corporations in Texas. The blog has cataloged allegations against GEO Group that have included accusations at the Pearsall facility of civil rights violations, inadequate health care, and labor disputes.

As the Texas Independent reported last year, GEO Group, along with Reeves County and the Federal Bureau of Prisons, were sued over an immigrant’s death in the Reeves County Detention Center after GEO employees failed to provide him with any medical attention to control his seizures. He had been left unattended in isolation. That was the ninth death at the Reeves County Detention Center in recent years. The GEO Group has also faced legal ramifications outside of Texas. The New Mexico Independent reported that the New Mexico Department of Corrections fined the corporation $1.1 million for understaffing one of its prisons.

GEO Group and other private prison organizations have reaped the benefits of stricter state immigration laws and Obama Administration immigration policies. An investigation by National Public Radio found that in coordination with the American Legislative Exchange Council, private prison companies lobbied for state laws that fill their beds with detained undocumented immigrants. The numbers have also increased with the fact that the Immigration and Customs Enforcement reported 400,000 deportations in fiscal year 2011 is the highest total in the agency’s eight years.

I'm very concerned with the rise of private prisons in this country. Even though the majority of them are related to the detainment of illegal immigrants, I'm worried that they're only breaking ground to pave the way for American citizens. Regarding the issue of illegals, I don't believe anyone should be treated inhumanely and, in my opinion, private prisons are breeding grounds for abusive practices and civil rights violations such as what's mentioned in this article.

Then, I'm worried about privately run juvenile facilities like this thread covers:
"Pa. Judge Gets 28 Years in "Kids-for-Cash" Scandal"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It appears that more privately run detention centers for illegal immigrants are popping up quickly:
"CCA Immigration Detention Center may be built in Florida"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm also concerned that the NDAA is opening the door wide open for indefinite detention for illegals as well as Americans within these privately run facilities in the near future. Scary thought.

new topics

join