It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Proves U.S. Forced Spain to Adopt SOPA-Style Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The U.S is now forcing countries to enact SOPA type laws to encourage investment by US media and technology companies.
At least that's their reasoning. Although when said countries refuse they are threatened to be put on a trade blacklist.

If this is all true then I am really worried about the future of our Internet.

Full Story

Today it was revealed that American interest in the law being enacted may have been more than casual. Spain was actually threatened by the US with being put on a trade blacklist if the law wasn't passed, according to cables released by WikiLeaks.

Another Story

“[The law's] lack of approval before the elections has been a blow to the country’s seriousness in this matter of such importance,” said Malet, while urging Rajoy to “to retrieve the consensus reached.” Rajoy’s government quickly responded and fully implemented the legislation within 10 days of taking office.

If this is not the Internet you wish to have in the near future, I strongly urge you to visit this thread by Sceptic Overloard. View the links and video, sign the petition and spread the word!

How SOPA could kill ATS and free speech online

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

don't worry TCOTBIP
are losing the cyber-wars

The classical definition of a darknet is: a private file sharing network. That's a bit outdated (those of you that have been reading Global Guerrillas for a while are already way ahead of the power curve on this). It's time to update/widen the term to accommodate a wider range of modern activity. A darknet:

is a closed, private communications network that is used for purposes not sanctioned by the state (aka illegal).

Darknets can be built in the following ways:

Software. A virtual, encrypted network that runs over public network infrastructure (most of the US government/economy uses this method).
Hardware. A parallel physical infrastructure. This hardware can be fiber optic cables or wireless. Parallel wireless infrastructures (whether for cell phones or Internet access are fairly inexpensive to build and conceal).
IN most cases, we see a mix of the two.

Examples of Darknets:

The Zetas have built a huge wireless darknet (a private, parallel communications network) that connects the majority of Mexico's states. Most of the other cartels also have wireless darknets and there are also lots of local darknets.
Hezbollah (in Lebanon) runs its own fiber optic network.
TOR. A voluntary, decentralized ad hoc network that anonymizes network connections.
Botnets (up to 4 m computers strong) that can be used for global private communications.
Etc. The list goes on and on....
The future? Darknets that power alternative economies. A network layer for accelerating the dark globalization of the $10 Trillion System D.
Sources
article: globalguerrillas.typepad.com...
Site: Global Guerrillas globalguerrillas.typepad.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

A darknet or a freenet (freenetproject.org...) would not solve this problem, since the mainstream internet is what it is all about, where the most sites are, and where the bandwith and speed are vastly superior with the current infrastructure in place.

I have tried alternatives like Freenet, but the speed is horrid, doing a simple search on their proprietary search engine can take up to 5 minutes, and loading a single picture will take upwards of 1 minute, also none of the mainstream sites are available, just the specific items the users have made available.

Sure it could be used for specific purposes by the fringe activists with top secret agendas, but it will never be a mainstream enjoyable, usable tool like the mainstream internet is.

That is why we need to protect it.

edit on 6-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thank you both for your replies however, I have to agree with NeoVain on this one.

Darknet is of course an option, but it's content is nowhere nearly as vast and easily accessible as the Internet we know today, and THAT is what we are fighting to keep.

My biggest fear is that if the US is going to trade blacklist and sanction or whatever else countries that don't follow suit, then it's already to late. I feel if congress doesn't pass this bill, dumbass will just sign it in like he does with all the other agenda promoting bills.

These people who control the US from the shadows need to be killed off. Brutally and publicly!

I for one am sick of slowly plodding my way to slavery and total oppression of my god given human rights!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

my point is
they can make all the laws they want
as more and more people say "F that noise!"
TCOTBIP will be left with their original internet and nobody visiting it

as the tech gets better and cheaper,
for example: Raspberry Pi is here at last. How will you use yours? www.abovetopsecret.com...

more and more people will get on board as the infrastructure/# of users increases so will bandwidth, etc

it's already happening with the black market economies as is the case of Systeme D referenced above:

With only a mobile phone and a promise of money from his uncle, David Obi did something the Nigerian government has been trying to do for decades: He figured out how to bring electricity to the masses in Africa's most populous country.
For More
Welcome to Bazaaristan
Photos from the trillion shadow economy

It wasn't a matter of technology. David is not an inventor or an engineer, and his insights into his country's electrical problems had nothing to do with fancy photovoltaics or turbines to harness the harmattan or any other alternative sources of energy. Instead, 7,000 miles from home, using a language he could hardly speak, he did what traders have always done: made a deal. He contracted with a Chinese firm near Guangzhou to produce small diesel-powered generators under his uncle's brand name, Aakoo, and shipped them home to Nigeria, where power is often scarce. David's deal, struck four years ago, was not massive -- but it made a solid profit and put him on a strong footing for success as a transnational merchant. Like almost all the transactions between Nigerian traders and Chinese manufacturers, it was also sub rosa: under the radar, outside of the view or control of government, part of the unheralded alternative economic universe of System D.

You probably have never heard of System D. Neither had I until I started visiting street markets and unlicensed bazaars around the globe.

Source:
Excerpt: The Shadow Superpower
Forget China: the $10 trillion global black market is the world's fastest growing economy -- and its future. www.foreignpolicy.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
All fine and dandy, and it's good that we can have something to fall back on.

But the point here is that we SHOULDN'T HAVE to fall back on something.
I don't know where you live, but I live in a FREE country last time I checked. This bill is being passed in a FREE country.
This bill was forced on a FREE country (Spain) probably others too.

The point is we shouldn't have to be constantly fighting for our freedoms cause we are supposed to be living in a FREE country not a dictatorship. What's freedom without freedom of speech?

When we lose our freedom of speech, everything else will follow closely behind it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I hear you, but you fail to consider what lifestyle you want.
If internet got shut down under strict laws and regulations, sure everyone would move to darknet... for awhile.
But then what? They would start regulating that too before long, since they already had the rules in place, it would just be a matter of doing the same, which would not be hard.

Eventually we where all running around like nomads, some people hiding Darknet #18, others on Darknet #65, the globalality would be compromised, our oppression a fact.

I´d rather stand and fight this off right here, right now, so there will be no need in the first place.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Guess who is against SOPA and NDAA?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

No kidding! He's pretty much against everything illegal and unjust that that US government is doing.

top topics

join